Paint brush anyone?

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

Gealousy

Hunter
Jun 9, 2012
When applying oil after cleaning, anyone else use a paint brush?

No, not the kind you paint your house trim with, a small art brush...

Man, it works great! I have a fine tip brush I picked up at Wally world for a buck or two, and it is awesome. You can put a drop on the brush and it makes it very easy to apply in just the right spots, without over oiling your rails or other...

Plus if it is going in too thick you can just wipe the brush on your towel and clean up with the drier bristles.

If you don't or haven't, I highly recommend it.

Maybe this is common but I haven't seen it talked about before.

- Gealousy

M

mukwah

Haven't tried a brush but it sounds like a good idea. Gonna pick some up and give it a try.

Gealousy

Hunter
Jun 9, 2012
Let me know what you think!

It especially nice on the smaller guns like the LCP but works just as well on full sized.

I used q-tips forever but got tired of the left over cotton strands you get sometimes... Plus the brush is easier to hold in your hand.

- Gealousy

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
I also use a paint brush to put finish line dry lube on my rails.
I spray a little bit in the bottom of a pop can then use the brush to put it where I want.

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
I frequently use small brushes for applying lubrication to a variety of things and for applying woodworking glue during assembly of my wood projects. Usually, the style of brush that I use could be called an "acid brush" (cheap brush with a rolled sheet metal tube for a handle). They are available in quite a variety of sizes.

BubbaDX

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
St. Louis, MO
No but you can bet I will be trying it. I use a q-tip for oiling those small and hard to reach areas. But a brush would be a lot more versatile. Thank you for the idea.

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
Working for a hospital I have been using surgical q-tips, the cotton is only on one side and it is a wood stick. Surgical cotton doesn't separate as bad as the drugstore type of q-tips. I get a hundred for under a buck. But I do like the brush idea, reusable too.

jackjr

Woodsman
Jun 10, 2012
Great idea. I use the medical "Q-Tips" also but a brush sounds so much better. I love this forum!

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
I use the acid brushes for scrubbing the internals of my gun.
When I use to do body work I use the acid brushes to tin the panel before I leaded it. So I've been using the acid brushes for all kinds of things for the last 50 years.

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

M

mukwah

Wife took a look at the weekly Wally World list and saw "little paint brushes" and said "what are these for"? I said, for my guns! Her reply was, "Oh no, now you're gonna start painting them"!! Geeeeez!!

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
mukwah said:
Wife took a look at the weekly Wally World list and saw "little paint brushes" and said "what are these for"? I said, for my guns! Her reply was, "Oh no, now you're gonna start painting them"!! Geeeeez!!
That's a good one for sure. ::)

framedcraig1

no fear...Ruger is here.
Jun 8, 2012
Mapleton,ut
RICHGCOOP finds no humor in your wife's statement Mukwah. I still am gonna do it to mine. My problem is that if i have a little xtra time...i don't want to gussy them up...I just want to shoot em!

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
RICHGCOOP said:
I use the acid brushes for scrubbing the internals of my gun.
When I use to do body work I use the acid brushes to tin the panel before I leaded it. So I've been using the acid brushes for all kinds of things for the last 50 years.

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

I've been using the acid brushes for a few years myself. Good stuff.

Gealousy

Hunter
Jun 9, 2012
framedcraig1 said:
Used a brush to apply oil on all three guns
.worked GREAT
Awesome!! Tellin' ya, I tried it once and never looked back!

The acid brushes have their place for cleaning but a fine tipped art brush is where the oiling becomes easy...

- Gealousy