Howard Law

Gunsite Grad

Charter member
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Druid Hills & Kennworthstock
Zip code
What's the best value? Not looking to spend trijicon money so what are my options? Burris FF3 & Vortex Viper seem popular. What should I look for in an optic?

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I want one with an RMR but it's WAY out of my price range.

Long term I want a G17 or 34 with a TLR-1, threaded barrel, reddot and suppressor sights I can see through the optic. That's my dream bedside pistol.

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
If you want it as a range gun or competition piece, I see it. If you're wanting it for a carry piece, I don't recommend it. The technology just ain't there quite yet.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
If you want it as a range gun or competition piece, I see it. If you're wanting it for a carry piece, I don't recommend it. The technology just ain't there quite yet.
Why do you feel that way? Maybe you mean specifically for the cheaper options that OP is looking for?

World Class Dick Wrangler
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Sep 5, 2015
Da SAV
Zip code
Just have a rail installed on your glock and slap on an ACOG

Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Sep 5, 2015
Da SAV
Zip code
Why do you feel that way? Maybe you mean specifically for the cheaper options that OP is looking for?
Everyone's training and abilities differ, but I'm really no faster with a reflex on a pistol than I am with irons and I know a lot of guys with the cool guy badges and tabs in the same boat.
On the other hand, I'm less accurate, but much faster with a RDS on a carbine. Much faster.
It's all about risk/benefit analysis in my book and a reflex on a pistol just doesn't make the cut.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Everyone's training and abilities differ, but I'm really no faster with a reflex on a pistol than I am with irons and I know a lot of guys with the cool guy badges and tabs in the same boat.
On the other hand, I'm less accurate, but much faster with a RDS on a carbine. Much faster.
It's all about risk/benefit analysis in my book and a reflex on a pistol just doesn't make the cut.
I'm light years faster and more accurate with the reflex on both pistols and rifles. Idk why

Sent from my Obamaphone on Tapatalk

Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Sep 5, 2015
Da SAV
Zip code
I'm light years faster and more accurate with the reflex on both pistols and rifles. Idk why

How fast? Say, inside the 9 ring at 7yds with pistol from the holster? Open sights are a wonderful thing.

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code

I'm talking reliability and maintaining zero, even on the more expensive units. I just have not found these 2 issues to be fixed yet, even when using optics like the Trijicon RMR. I believe that eventually we will get there, but we ain't there yet. If we were, good chance I'd have one on my G19.

With the exceptions of folks like Suarez, none of the well-known Instructors are touting or using RDS's on their carry guns, even though several will say that they can shooter faster, accurately, with a RDS mounted on the slide. Wonder why? The Instructors I've talked to (folks like Ken Hackathorn) have done more testing with this system than I have, and found it lacking over long term in the same areas I have: reliability and maintaining zero.

There's a reason that units like FBI HRT, "Delta", MARSOC, and similar are not running RDS's on their handguns. They will one day, but it won't be this year.

Reactions: Leshaire

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
A RDS takes a lot more beating on a G17 than it ever would on say an AR in .450 Bushmaster. All that back-and-forth slamming of the slide ain't good for them.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
I'm talking reliability and maintaining zero, even on the more expensive units. I just have not found these 2 issues to be fixed yet, even when using optics like the Trijicon RMR. I believe that eventually we will get there, but we ain't there yet. If we were, good chance I'd have one on my G19.

With the exceptions of folks like Suarez, none of the well-known Instructors are touting or using RDS's on their carry guns, even though several will say that they can shooter faster, accurately, with a RDS mounted on the slide. Wonder why? The Instructors I've talked to (folks like Ken Hackathorn) have done more testing with this system than I have, and found it lacking over long term in the same areas I have: reliability and maintaining zero.

There's a reason that units like FBI HRT, "Delta", MARSOC, and similar are not running RDS's on their handguns. They will one day, but it won't be this year.
Ahhh that I can appreciate. I don't believe o shoot nearly enough for that. I have probably a thousand rounds or so through my 19 with the RMR and it has held up fine. But I'm sure someone like you uses your handguns a looot more.

ReservoirDawg10

Sniper
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code
Vortex Viper or Burris FF3 for under $250. I prefer the Vortex, but the FF3 auto on/off is nice. The Vortex is sturdier felling though and I see the dot a bit more crisply.

Don't cheap out and go with the Primary Arms MRDS - they fall apart almost instantly on a pistol.

Other options -
Vortex Razor - a bit pricier, but seems tougher IMHO. Love mine (on an AR at the moment, played with it for a few hundred rds on a 45 through a couple range trips though and it performed flawlessly)
Doctor - no experience, but highly regarded
Leupold Delta point - no experience
I am not a fan of the Burris FF2