Optic for .22

Howard Law

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Im planning out my next gun. I've decided I am going to get a savage FV-SR since it fits the length I want and I like a bolt gun so I can shoot the quiet stuff without worrying about the action cycling.

It will be for plinking, squirrel hunting, and learning long range techniques (obviously at shorter ranges). I know it isn't best for all these things but it will do the job for them all. I think I've narrowed down the scope to these two options.

https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en...0.html#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-Overview

https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en...es/prostaff-3-9x40-rimfire-matte-bdc-150.html

I've heard good things about Nikon and I like that they have the BDC. Ive thought about a mil dot but think this would be more useful for my needs at the time. They also are relatively inexpensive but not a terrible brand. I don't plan on shooting more than 100 yards max and much closer for hunting.

So what is the opinion of SET?

chance

Tracker
Jul 15, 2015
Ga
Zip code
We have that first nikon with the exposed adjustment knobs on our fsvr. Its a very nice scope and a perfect match IMO.

Huddy

Tracker
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 5, 2016
Cumming, GA
Zip code
I have the second. It is nice for the money, I think I caught it on sale for $130. The bdc is cool if you use the nikon software to map the bdc for a specific round. For hunting, I think I mapped mine for 10 yd zero with MiniMags and have felt no need to change it as the drop markers work for the ranges that I shoot squirrels, <75 yds. Once you get the hang of the software, you can truly utilize the bdc. PS software was free, but haven't had to re-use it in a year+.

Reactions: AtlMedic

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
usually. Ill have to check to see if its here today, kyle took it out shooting yesterday
Whenever I can make it by for that crush washer maybe I'll be able to check it out. They have me on light duty so I have to be at work 9-5 mon-fri so I don't know when I'll be able to get by there while your open.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I have the second. It is nice for the money, I think I caught it on sale for $130. The bdc is cool if you use the nikon software to map the bdc for a specific round. For hunting, I think I mapped mine for 10 yd zero with MiniMags and have felt no need to change it as the drop markers work for the ranges that I shoot squirrels, <75 yds. Once you get the hang of the software, you can truly utilize the bdc. PS software was free, but haven't had to re-use it in a year+.
I didn't know about the software. That's pretty cool.

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
Don't discount the Ruger American Rimfire. The fact that it takes standard 10/22 mags is a great thing.

Huddy

Tracker
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 5, 2016
Cumming, GA
Zip code
I didn't know about the software. That's pretty cool.
It will map out the drop for the top, center, and bottom for each of the circles in the reticle. Here's an example one i just did on their site for the 3-7x 32 bdc with MiniMags. fun software to play with.
Nikon BDC example.JPG

chance

Tracker
Jul 15, 2015
Ga
Zip code
Whenever I can make it by for that crush washer maybe I'll be able to check it out. They have me on light duty so I have to be at work 9-5 mon-fri so I don't know when I'll be able to get by there while your open.
I'm often here till 7pm. Just shoot me a PM when you want to swing by

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
It will map out the drop for the top, center, and bottom for each of the circles in the reticle. Here's an example one i just did on their site for the 3-7x 32 bdc with MiniMags. fun software to play with.
View attachment 19480
It sure would have been nice if they would have used hash marks instead of circles.

erkinator 2

Smiling Handyman
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
I have the P22 and the circles are hard to see at certain times and on certain targets. Are the ones on this more bold so easier to see?

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
A mil dot or a moa based scope with hash marks at even intervals will be much more useable than a bdc, unless the bdc is dead on which it won't be.

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I would not worry about the fancy software and such unless you are long distance bench shooting. A good rugged scope will do. Based on the type of shooting you are planning to do, I doubt you will be making shots beyond 75 yds on a regular basis.

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
I took my FVSR and Dobbs Evercore to Charlie Elliott a few weeks ago and started shooting with CCI std vel ammo. Nice grouping.

I switched to Aguila std vel and the groups got even tighter.

The Aguila made a noticeable difference in better groupings than the CCI. I know every gun is different, just throwing that out there.

Oh, and back on topic. I use a Simmons Whitetail Classic 6.5-20x50. Love the high zoom. But I use it for plinking not hunting.

:behindsofa:

Reactions: AtlMedic

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I took my FVSR and Dobbs Evercore to Charlie Elliott a few weeks ago and started shooting with CCI std vel ammo. Nice grouping.

I switched to Aguila std vel and the groups got even tighter.

The Aguila made a noticeable difference in better groupings than the CCI. I know every gun is different, just throwing that out there.

Oh, and back on topic. I use a Simmons Whitetail Classic 6.5-20x50. Love the high zoom. But I use it for plinking not hunting.

:behindsofa:
I've read that the FV-SR has ammo preferences that are different between each rifle.