Open Carry Tips For Ohio

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
I want to apologize to the OP, we pretty severely hijacked your post. As previously mentioned, he just needs to ensure he's following the requirements for transportation of a firearms in a vehicle. He'll have to unload and store appropriately every time you drive somewhere. The Ohio AG's manual goes into more detail.

Machi

Hunter
Mar 28, 2016
[QUOTE="Chris Timmerman]I feel like we should get into the caliber and stopping power debate next! (said with extreme sarcasm)

[/QUOTE]
No need to. Everyone knows that the 9mm provides superior stopping power and since the .40SW short is dying everyone should sell those and stick with a 9mm or a .380 for the ladies.

Shawn Agne

Woodsman
Feb 22, 2016
This is the equivalent of people wanting to work up 77gr 223 loads or 175gr 308 loads.........

Last edited by a moderator:

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
That's a lesson that open carry requires more than passive retention holsters. Bad guy changes his tune if he pulls on the gun but it's locked in a holster.

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
Contrary to how I've come off in this thread, I'm not a strong advocate for open carry. I prefer concealed carry and teach students that it is the preferred method.

But since I advocate for it being an individual's choice, and because there are legitimate reasons to open carry, I also strongly advocate for carrying wisely whatever method a person chooses. And putting a gun out there for anyone to grab, without retention gear and training, is asking for trouble.

DTF23

Hunter
Jan 30, 2016
I agree with TI! Concealing that weapon should be the way to go most the time, unless you have a reason to open carry (which i can think none of).

hiding your weapon and going "surprise mother f'er" would be a lot better than that m f'er coming up and trying to take your weapon or worse.

MyWifeSaidYes

Hunter
May 18, 2016
I've open carried in Ohio since the late 80's.

I do not carry openly for any 'deterrent' value. If that happens, great, but I'm probably not going to be aware of that.

And knowing that I won't be able to be aware of my surroundings 100% of the time, having a retention holster is a must.

Is OC for everyone? No. Are you going to be shot as an OC'ing citizen? Statistics say 'no'. Could it happen? Sure.

Will it happen to YOU if I'M the one OC'ing? No, and that is why I don't care what others think of my choice.

If the bad guy decides to shoot me first (instead of the more likely scenario of waiting for me to leave), then all the CC'ers in the store should be happy that I have provided them a chance to realize what's going on, draw their concealed weapons and return fire. Simply use my sacrifice to your benefit.