Older LCP - recoil spring

Howard Law

Gealousy

Hunter
Jun 9, 2012
Hey guys, quick question… I have an older LCP in my care right now. It is a 374 –xxxxx. It was as dirty as a swamp. I took it apart to clean it and I found that it only had one recoil spring… Mine has two, one goes inside of the outside, and the two slide over the guide ride. Is this older LCP missing a spring, or is this how they came back in the 374 days? Thanks!

Gealousy

Hunter
Jun 9, 2012
I thought so! It only has the bigger spring. Man the thing was rode hard and put away wet too....

No big deal I've been looking for and excuse to upgrade my springs and guide rod. Guess I found it! :D

pic just for fun. Mine on the right, babysitting on the left (could be me mine though, we'll see).

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
Some after markets springs only have one spring, replacing the two stock ones. But I'd err on the side of caution and replace it with a new set. Get a hold of Ruger they'd probably help you out.

Depending on the price, it might be a good catch. Even if the previous owner didn't take care of it.

Gealousy

Hunter
Jun 9, 2012
I ordered the 11lb spring kit from Wolff and I got a Stainless BT guide rod on order as well. Mine will get the upgrades and ill put my old springs and GR into this babysitter.

Someone I know ran into some legal issues and so I'm just holding it for now but, I have love for my Elsie so I couldn't just let this one sit in a state of despair! :D

M

mukwah

Good thing you were there to rescue this Elsie Gealousy! Maybe the owner will be a little more attentive when he gets her back!

Gealousy

Hunter
Jun 9, 2012
mukwah said:
Good thing you were there to rescue this Elsie Gealousy! Maybe the owner will be a little more attentive when he gets her back!

IF he can...

I doubt it. Probably wouldn't notice I even cleaned her more or less replaced parts... It's ok though, just doing it because I can. Plus I have always wanted Wolff springs and the BT guide rod for mine. Haha

Plus like I eluded, she may become mine if chips don't fall his way (which I really hope he gets out of the mess he's in so I'm not hoping for that)

BeyondTheBox

Woodsman
Jan 7, 2013
The Great NorthWest
Anybody else been warned about guns with dual recoil Springs?

I was once warned that they wear out exceedingly quicker than single, like replace ayer every 500 rounds fast.

Never bothered asking why, but the guy whom informed me of this was a very well respected and reliable source for general firearm info. Still is.

Just thought it very interesting...

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Gealousy

Hunter
Jun 9, 2012
BeyondTheBox said:
Anybody else been warned about guns with dual recoil Springs?

I was once warned that they wear out exceedingly quicker than single, like replace ayer every 500 rounds fast.

Never bothered asking why, but the guy whom informed me of this was a very well respected and reliable source for general firearm info. Still is.

Just thought it very interesting...

The only experience I have is my Ruger LCP but so far it has been perfect. I have not worn out springs but I haven't hit 1,000 rounds yet either.

Springs wear out from use, and all semi-auto firearms need maintenance eventually. In the case of the LCP, stock replacement springs are about six bucks so I wouldn't worry about it. Buy a 3 pack for <$20 and you will wear out before your parts supply does.

framedcraig1

no fear...Ruger is here.
Jun 8, 2012
Mapleton,ut
BTB...I haven't heard that bud. I've had my spring set from Wolff on ...with the bt rod...for over 1400 rounds with nary a hickup. So far...so good! You are always going to hear different experiences from diff folks. Mine is good to go!

BeyondTheBox

Woodsman
Jan 7, 2013
The Great NorthWest
Re: Re: Older LCP - recoil spring

framedcraig1 said:
BTB...I haven't heard that bud. I've had my spring set from Wolff on ...with the bt rod...for over 1400 rounds with nary a hickup. So far...so good! You are always going to hear different experiences from diff folks. Mine is good to go!

That's very reassuring and good news, though Wolff always exceeds expectations!