Ok, finally a pocket gun trainer!!!!!!!!!!

Howard Law
R

rayzer007

Re: Re: Ok, finally a pocket gun trainer!!!!!!!!!!

BeyondTheBox said:
Training is a set up for presumption and you simply and factually cannot practice for any defensive situation, because they are fundamentally different each and every time.

All you're doing with training and drills is setting yourself up for failure. Take every interaction for face value.

if you condition your brain, to condition your muscles to react a particular way, they can do nothing else.

that's why practice is bad, it overwrites adaptation through conditioning.

I agree with all your statements I quoted above BTB; and I must admit, I think and accordingly act along those lines. I do much more thinking than I do actual practice drills. I believe all my past analyzing will do me more good during a SHTF situation than tons of repetitious practicing. I will also say there is good practice, and there is bad practice, but that's for another thread. I am certainly not criticizing those of the club who diligently practice; I'm just saying I think differently than many (along with BTB). The hypothetical possibilities are infinite, and circumstances change moment to moment as each critical dynamic unfolds. Everyone must, and certainly has a right to, chart their own course to prepare as they think best! :)

Ray

BeyondTheBox

Woodsman
Jan 7, 2013
The Great NorthWest
Re: Re: Re: Ok, finally a pocket gun trainer!!!!!!!!!!

rayzer007 said:
BeyondTheBox said:
Training is a set up for presumption and you simply and factually cannot practice for any defensive situation, because they are fundamentally different each and every time.

All you're doing with training and drills is setting yourself up for failure. Take every interaction for face value.

if you condition your brain, to condition your muscles to react a particular way, they can do nothing else.

that's why practice is bad, it overwrites adaptation through conditioning.

I agree with all your statements I quoted above BTB; and I must admit I think, and accordingly act, along those lines. I do much more thinking than I do actual practice drills. I believe all my past analyzing will do me more good during a SHTF situation than tons of repetitious practicing. I will also say there is good practice, and there is bad practice, but that's for another thread. I am certainly not criticizing those of the club who diligently practice; I'm just saying I think differently than many (along with BDD). The hypothetical possibilities are infinite, and circumstances change moment to moment as each critical dynamic unfolds. Everyone must, and certainly has a right to, chart their own course to prepare as they think best! :)

Ray

You're an intelligent and honorable man Ray. Wisdom is hard to achieve... I believe you've found it, m'friend.

Astute observations indeed.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
I don't practice all the stuff I see. But at the same time, the stuff I see (different training scenarios) makes me think and learn from them, even though I don't practice everything. For example, rather than trying to draw faster standing still in a Tueller Drill, I can move to give me more time. If I'm aware and a guy can get on me in 1.5 seconds standing still, I give my self an advantage (more time) by moving. So not all training scenarios will be the same, but moving will just about always give me more time.

I've always thought the best benefit I have gotten from a concealed carry license, is much better situational awareness. And I mean a lot more compared to where I was before a concealed license.

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
I agree with LWS380 that situational awareness is something I really have cultivated since I started CCW. I really try to hone that particular skill more than anything else. Ironic isn't it, that those that carry, are the folks that look to stay out of bad situations to a higher degree?

I will also respectably disagree with BTB on training. Just does not make any sense to not train in any sport or discipline especially tuning memory/muscle motor skills. However, each to his own, if he does not want to train or practice it is his business and his life and he knows what is best for himself. Personally, I want to draw faster, hone my point and shoot skills, sharpen my Memory/muscle skills and continue to learn about the many situations that exist in this predatory world we live in. (Thanks for the video LWS)

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
I don't believe in the no practice idea, but I agree that practice is not of much use if you are not able to use the brain in times of extreme stress. With that said, the various professionals that carry weapons daily for a living all practice/drill in some form or another.

For me the most important part of the video was in the final example when he used situational awareness AND moved away. It is the only example where he did not have to shoot the BG. Just a training video but once again it tells me the best way to win at a gun fight is to not get in one.