Ohio Group offers shooting lessons to teachers

Howard Law
R

rayzer007

Israel has instituted a similar policy since the 1974 Ma'alot massacre, and has had very little school shooting problems since then. When they do have an incident it, seems to be quickly and efficiently curtailed by teachers, administrators, maintenance personnel, along with parents and grandparents who are encouraged to carry concealed 9mm pistols when at the schools. Tough to argue with success, especially when Israel is surrounded by enemies on all sides.

Ray

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
You are right about there being no exemptions, but it's quite an offer from the Buckeye Firearms Association.

We have one Resource Officer for a 6 building, 6000 student school district. We are underwhelming in our ability to respond to such a crisis. Something much more is needed make a robust security plan from what currently exists.

This would be strongly opposed by the teachers unions, but only about 1 in 6 of the staff in any building is actually a teacher.

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
If the government would offer an advance gun training defensive course to any school employees that already have a ccw and is interesting doing so could be a good start. Even offer CCW and a defensive course. All on a voluntary basis and see how many actually stepped up to the plate would be a good start. I am grabbing at straws but I know gun bans won't help. Evil people will find a way to do evil things.

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
RugerRon60 said:
... and see how many actually stepped up to the plate would be a good start. I am grabbing at straws but I know gun bans won't help. Evil people will find a way to do evil things.
This is probably what BFA is actually doing. Diving headlong into the waters will probably stir a big backlash. Now... if they dip their toe and establish a ripple effect... No matter how it's done, it won't happen quickly.

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
I read the local paper yesterday was was pleasently supprised at a article on a few pages into the paper stating "Gun Bands Isn't The Answer". But again in my area 50% of the people you see are wearing camo coats and some are wearing big camo boots <--- :D

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
It is a difficult situation for a bunch of reasons. My wife is a school teacher and some of her co-workers would be good for this, some not so much. The issues I see as sticking points are liability if something goes wrong and teachers feeling pressure to "do the right thing" even if they don't feel comfortable with it. If they carry and don't react or they react poorly, they lose. If they carry and make a mistake, they would be hung out to dry. Huge liability issues for the individual and the school system, which is us tax payers. Personally I would rather see trained professionals in every school and the administrators carry. Most all of the administrators I know are of a certain personality type; leaders, critical thinkers, type A personalities. They already are committed to a rediculous amount of education, so adding in a section on self defense and firearms training would not be a big deal. Also, if you say to a teacher you can carry if you do A, B, and C, now you have NRA and gun people saying you have infringed farther on their 2nd Amendment rights. Bottom line for me: it is not a simple fix.

R

rayzer007

bigdogdaddy said:
Bottom line for me: it is not a simple fix.

You made great points BDD! That last line is absolute truth. Regardless of differing personal opinions, this is a very complex problem, with multiple inherent difficulties every step along the way, no matter which avenue is chosen. It's a classic rule of chemotherapy situations: solve one problem, but create four more.'

Ray

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
Yep. It is a tough one for sure. A lawyer on CNN said that the guy could have targeted a school bus and did the same thing with a bucket of gasoline and a match. You could tell that really was not what the reporter wanted him to say. I think we need to increase the safety as much as possible at the schools. But I also don't think we can stop bad and/or crazy people that are dead set on killing themselves and taking others along. Sad that we are even having the conversation as often as we are. We (mankind) have been around quite a while now and we are still not all that nice to each other quite a bit of the time.

R

rayzer007

bigdogdaddy said:
But I also don't think we can stop bad and/or crazy people that are dead set on killing themselves and taking others along.

"That was one of the first things my Secret Service class was told back in '75:
If someone wants to get the President, as long as he doesn't care about himself, he can probably get him." A rather obvious point nowadays, but it always stuck with me.
You can't outlaw bad things from happening, because the people are bad; and they operate outside of the laws.

Ray

framedcraig1

no fear...Ruger is here.
Jun 8, 2012
Mapleton,ut
I think I have Sher to the point that she is gonna start carrying her LCP tomorrow. She teaches orchestra at the local high , and jr high schools. Big step for her. Proud of her.

D

Denny4kids

Very inexpensive advertising for this Buckeye Firearms Association outfit. Shame on them! Den

Verticoli

Personal philosophy? Clothing optional.
Jun 10, 2012
Fl's west coast
I read a surprizing stat that said there are 11 armed guards at the school the POTUS's children attend even when they're not there. When Malia Ann and Natasha are there, the SS is in-house also.

mayonardo

What Would Paladin Do?
Verticoli said:
I read a surprizing stat that said there are 11 armed guards at the school the POTUS's children attend even when they're not there. When Malia Ann and Natasha are there, the SS is in-house also.
I believe this illustrates that, as currently allowed, protection of our children in the public schools is grossly inadequate. Committed, trained and legal concealed gun carriers are an effective, cost-effective and quick answer to a serious problem.

Mayonardo
iPad & Tapatalk