Null SMZ shoulder holster

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

Yogi 117

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Salem OR
Good luck Ray, looks like it will work well for your snubbies. I love shoulder holsters, just too hard to hide in the summer. Time for wearing them is right around the corner. Enjoy & look forward to hearing how you like it! Yogi 8)

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
Good luck and hope you like it. I tried a shoulder holster rig (not the same MFG) for my full size 1911 one time and hated it. I had traded for the holster and sold it the day after I tried it. Just not for me. Hope your experience is better than mine. Only thing I don't like about the one in the link is that it points up at the arm pit.

R

rayzer007

lws380 said:
Good luck and hope you like it. I tried a shoulder holster rig (not the same MFG) for my full size 1911 one time and hated it. I had traded for the holster and sold it the day after I tried it. Just not for me. Hope your experience is better than mine. Only thing I don't like about the one in the link is that it points up at the arm pit.

I don't think the heavier guns carry well (comfortably) in any shoulder holsters. The Null design and material (plastic & nylon) with the airweight snubs is apparently a great combination; 19 oz total for the rig with loaded gun. The gun is supported by the body instead of hanging off the shoulder, since it is carried slightly in front of the armpit and tight to the body. It was commissioned by the CIA back in '70 to carry a weapon with a silencer under a shirt.
I had an old upside down rig for the Detective Special back in the 70's (a la Steve McQueen in "Bullitt"), and it wasn't too bad as I recall. This should be much better. I'll report with pictures when I get it in and set up.

Ray

M

mukwah

Nice Ray! I like it!

Sent from my Droid RAZR using my trigger finger!

R

rayzer007

Got the new shoulder holster in from Kenneth Null. Nice and light - plastic snap open holder w/ thin straps. Hangs close to the body under and in front of arm pit (upside down), with offsetting strap running across back of collar and down offside to hook on the belt. To release the gun you push slightly upwards 1/2" and twist the gun away from the body. It pops right out. Conceals very well.

Here is another view. The trigger guard hangs in a small loop of the plastic with a snap in front. Pushing the gun up off the loop and twisting it pops open the snap, releasing the gun. All done in the blink of an eye!

I

iacountryboy

Wow! I know there's a safety but I think I would try hanging it behind the trigger. I never could find a shoulder harness that fit me right but I'm a pretty big guy and most just ain't big enough. I need to find a store where I can try one on instead of mail order.

R

rayzer007

iacountryboy said:
Wow! I know there's a safety but I think I would try hanging it behind the trigger.

No safety with the snubs. Loop is for in front of the trigger inside the guard. When raising the weapon off the hangar it stops when the trigger hits the hook-holder. Then you twist the gun and unsnap the button. The S&Ws have substantial trigger pulls,as does the Kahr CW9. I might carry the Combat Commander without one in the chamber though.

Ray

R

rayzer007

SkipD said:
iacountryboy said:
Wow! I know there's a safety but I think I would try hanging it behind the trigger.

I certainly agree with that.

I can understand the concerns. I initially thought the same. The maker says not to use it cocked and locked, or with hair triggers. I've tried the holster many times, and the trigger has not even moved. He's been making and sellling these for 40 years.

Ray

I

iacountryboy

I guess I'll just stick to my IWB and Pocket holsters. I just couldn't get used to the idea of a firearm pointing in the general direction of a major artery or my head with something stuck between the front of the trigger inside the trigger guard. I guess if I actually saw one in person and tried it it might put my mind at ease :-\......but I doubt it. When it's all said and done all that matters is if you are comfortable with it. :D

R

rayzer007

iacountryboy said:
I guess if I actually saw one in person and tried it it might put my mind at ease

I think it would. Sounds/looks more dangerous than it is. I have tried to push the gun upwards (while in the holster) hard enough to make the trigger move, and I cannot do it. I really don't see any possibility of accidental discharge. A clever design indeed. I venture to say Ken Null would have been sued out of business a long time ago (the design is 40 years selling, and still going strong), if there were inherent dangers. I never see any used holsters of his for sale either! Two friends have seen this SMZ model and are buying one. To each his own ...

Ray

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
iacountryboy said:
I guess I'll just stick to my IWB and Pocket holsters. I just couldn't get used to the idea of a firearm pointing in the general direction of a major artery or my head with something stuck between the front of the trigger inside the trigger guard. I guess if I actually saw one in person and tried it it might put my mind at ease :-\......but I doubt it. When it's all said and done all that matters is if you are comfortable with it. :D

I'm with you on this one.

R

rayzer007

Sarge said:
Nice Ray! Now you're ready to get recalled back to active duty! :)

Funny you say that Sarge. I talked to Ken Null (the holster maker) the other day, and apparently he sells many of his holsters to Secret Service personnel, along with CIA and other governmental agencies.
Unfortunately, I would have a very difficult time protecting the present Oval Office occupant, since I am lacking the proper frame of mind toward him needed for that type of duty. I liked Gerald Ford; he was an honorable man, and he respected his security detail. 'Nuff said.

Ray

kraigster414

Hunter
Jun 8, 2012
Northern VA
The Ken Knull holster has been around forever so it seems. I bought an SMZ (black or brown can't remember) back in the 80's (before the heavy use of Kydex), never really warmed to it, a bit of a quirky design, the leather strap started to crack the last time I saw it, and I just never warmed to it. I can't speak for every government agency (I retired last year from one) but I think the Knull had/has a certain cult following but was never universally adapted or embraced by any one agency or department's gun totters. Today there are so many options for concealed carry.