Now this is very interesting!

Faktory 47

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
Go to any of the main ranges in my town, and you will not have to worry about standing in line to get into a shooting lane. The ammo shortage epidemic has hit these folks hard. Many of the employees are no longer around. One is posting a "Help wanted ad in the main store". It appears as many of the regular staff that have been there for years are gone. But yesterday a major state of the art gun range will be opening this coming January! It appears to be a really nice 50 stall range with store etc. If this opening had been a year ago, I would be dancing for joy as many times back then, you had to wait sometimes as long as a hour or longer to shoot. Especially weekends. But obviously that is no longer the problem. Maybe these guys know something I don't. I hope they do and their investment pays off. Here is the range that will soon coming within a mile from my house.

http://www.colonialshooting.com/

M

mukwah

Sounds promising Dave! Maybe there will be some bonus in it for you for early sign up should you decide to join! 8)

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
That looks like one premier facility! So nice they might have to post a "No Camo" sign on the entrances. :D

Ma-n-Pa LGS's are hurting pretty bad with the ammo situation. Now they may have to face another threat in the form of a Big Box range and shop moving in to deplete what remains of the business? It's nice, but I don't know if I like all the implications. I like sitting down at the counter and shooting it a bit with the owner...

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
3Coyotes said:
That looks like one premier facility! So nice they might have to post a "No Camo" sign on the entrances. :D

Ma-n-Pa LGS's are hurting pretty bad with the ammo situation. Now they may have to face another threat in the form of a Big Box range and shop moving in to deplete what remains of the business? It's nice, but I don't know if I like all the implications. I like sitting down at the counter and shooting it a bit with the owner...

No camo! Leave's me out lol. Well I see this threat becoming a reality. 20 years ago when I started my computer shop I was making decent money, then Best Buy, Wal-Mart and the other big PC retailers put me out of business and now I am 9-5 again. I see this happening with many Ma-n-Pa gun shop's as well. Unfortunate indeed.

M

mukwah

Don't know about you guys but, all of the gun and shooting ranges in my area are locally owned by people within the community. Also, any LGS's that have closed are the one's who could not or would not compete with big store prices.

Sent from my Droid Razr using my trigger finger.

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
Being partially self-employed, I appreciate the efforts the non-Big Box and non Internet businesses have to extend to stay in business.
'Nuff Said.

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
Trigger_1 said:
Dave...Thanks for the link.....8)

I just wanna nice place to go to shoot..... 8)

The NRA Range in Va is really nice too....8)

I understand what you are saying Trigger. Right up the street about a 1/2 mile is the small Local pistol range and store. I believe it has only about 6 or so lanes and I have always enjoyed shooting there, as well as developing a lot of friends that sold me firearms, given advice etc. I hope this new store does not run them out of business.
I do wonder why a Mega shooting range like this is opening now during this ammo crisis? I was at another local the other day, and they have gone from three to ONE box of ammo per person when they do get supplies in. They told me that the supplier has 157 pages of back orders for ammo.

R

rayzer007

davevabch said:
I do wonder why a Mega shooting range like this is opening now during this ammo crisis?

I don't believe entrepreneurs have any "insider" knowledge in the free market system. Businesses are planned years in advance; forecasts are projected with hopefulness that current (at the time of planning) trends will continue. Nobody saw this dearth coming several years ago. Now, they have a state-of-the-art range, everybody has guns, and nobody has any ammo! Whoda thunk that! .............OOOOPS! :eek: :mad:

Ray

D

Denny4kids

davevabch said:
They told me that the supplier has 157 pages of back orders for ammo.

I hear this all the time. Sounds like they need a new supplier. My local gun store has many suppliers and as a result he always has ammo and components for sale. If he is out of something he knows when it will be in and will call you. His prices are above average and I just go to his shop last when making my rounds to all the stores. Den

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
Today, I talked with someone that knows the company. "I asked how are they going to open a new venture with no ammo?" they replied, "They make their own ammo".
Now if that is true, it IS very interesting. Would seem to be very smart business.

M

mukwah

Now that's how you compete and progress in business! JMHO

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
lws380 said:
Like reloading supplies are more plentiful than ammo???

Im just telling you what I heard. My source could very well be wrong. Perhaps you know why they would invest in such a venture with severe ammo shortage, I would be interested to hear what you have to say. There are manufactures producing ammo. Supposedly working 24/7. They seem to be getting reloading supplies,But have a lot of backorders, so why not someone who is manufacturing their own for their own investment? They should be able to get the supplies they need.

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
Ok, I called the company and asked them if they make their own ammo. They replied not now, but are now in the process of doing so and will have a plant in Ashland Virginia.

TRIGGER_1

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
Athens, GA USA
Dave....That would be a kewl business concept..... 8)

Make your own gun powder plant...
Make your own brass plant.....
Make your own primers plant....
Make your own bullets plant.....
Make your own ammo assembly plant...
Build a shooting range with all the bells and whistles....

M

mukwah

Most definitely!