Noveske barrels

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
I know back in the day Novekse was the barrel by which all others were measured.

Now days we have great companies like BCM and Scionics.

I'm in the process of a Noveksse build (Lower/upper/NSR) and I'm currently thinking about this barrel to finish out the build.

http://www.noveske.com/products/chf-chrome-lined-lo-pro-5-56

But at the same time I already have the Scionics RGP 11.5 and I bought @Leshaire 11.5 BCM barrel.

So my question is how do I justify the Noveske barrel besides wanting to keep it all Noveske?

Or how do I talk myself out of it?

It will be ran mostly surpressed.

@DarthVader @Wallace @EugenFJR @karlvv

Tag anyone else I may have forgotten.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Then I'd sell the BCM and get the noveske. I like having everything matching. My rifle is almost all BCM

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
My opinion.

No need for the Noveske unless you plan to just build another upper or have the OCD complex about non matching parts (which you just said you don't).

If you are hung up on a pinned gas block, I am sure for what you are going to buy Leshaire's BCM barrel for, you could buy the BRD gas block drilling jig, and BCM gas block for less than the Noveske setup. Just pin the BCM and in addition to the red Loctite and knurled set screws, that gas block would be a secure as anything on the market, or maybe even better.

I do not think you will see much accuracy deviation between the Noveske or BCM. Maybe a subtle small increase in group size as Noveske advertises that barrel to being chrome lined M249 specs, which is a thicker chrome lining compared to most non M249 spec chrome lined barrels specs. Due to the inherit nature of chrome lining, it doesn't always lend itself to improved accuracy (consistency in thickness throughout the chamber/bore is hard to control). Then again, 10.5",11.5", 12.5" rifles are typically not going to be match target rifles anyways for most folks. Maybe great carbine class candidates, or just reduction in length/weight for simply shooting suppressed most often.

It's more or less preference, but not worth buying and then selling the BCM IMHO.

Here is that jig: $60 (jig) + $45 for a .750 BCM gas block, + $225 BCM new take off = $329 + maybe $20 in shipping = $350. Noveske = $365. Give or take a few bucks for the 2/0 taper reamer and taper pin. Probably a wash, but you would keep the tools (I would buy them from you if you didn't need them anymore as I lost my 2/0 reamer anyways)

http://brdengineering.com/products/gas-block-drilling-jig-a

Reactions: Righter13

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
My opinion.

No need for the Noveske unless you plan to just build another upper or have the OCD complex about non matching parts (which you just said you don't).

If you are hung up on a pinned gas block, I am sure for what you are going to buy Leshaire's BCM barrel for, you could buy the BRD gas block drilling jig, and BCM gas block for less than the Noveske setup. Just pin the BCM and in addition to the red Loctite and knurled set screws, that gas block would be a secure as anything on the market, or maybe even better.

I do not think you will see much accuracy deviation between the Noveske or BCM. Maybe a subtle small increase in group size as Noveske advertises that barrel to being chrome lined M249 specs, which is a thicker chrome lining compared to most non M249 spec chrome lined barrels specs. Due to the inherit nature of chrome lining, it doesn't always lend itself to improved accuracy (consistency in thickness throughout the chamber/bore is hard to control). Then again, 10.5",11.5", 12.5" rifles are typically not going to be match target rifles anyways for most folks. Maybe great carbine class candidates, or just reduction in length/weight for simply shooting suppressed most often.

It's more or less preference, but not worth buying and then selling the BCM IMHO.

Here is that jig: $60 (jig) + $45 for a .750 BCM gas block, + $225 BCM new take off = $329 + maybe $20 in shipping = $350. Noveske = $365. Give or take a few bucks for the 2/0 taper reamer and taper pin. Probably a wash, but you would keep the tools (I would buy them from you if you didn't need them anymore as I lost my 2/0 reamer anyways)

http://brdengineering.com/products/gas-block-drilling-jig-a

Great response!!!! Except the jig is out of stock...

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
I know back in the day Novekse was the barrel by which all others were measured.

Now days we have great companies like BCM and Scionics.

I'm in the process of a Noveksse build (Lower/upper/NSR) and I'm currently thinking about this barrel to finish out the build.

http://www.noveske.com/products/chf-chrome-lined-lo-pro-5-56

But at the same time I already have the Scionics RGP 11.5 and I bought @Leshaire 11.5 BCM barrel.

So my question is how do I justify the Noveske barrel besides wanting to keep it all Noveske?

Or how do I talk myself out of it?

It will be ran mostly surpressed.

@DarthVader @Wallace @EugenFJR @karlvv

Tag anyone else I may have forgotten.
My $0.02. The Noveske and BCM hammer forged barrels are identical. Right down to the super duper, double chrome lining. Exact same barrel. And it's safe to say that they are spec'd similarly in terms of runout, concentricity and straightness. Accuracy between the two will be indistinguishable.

Now, in my opinion, Noveske gas ports run a little large. Not dpms large, but more like Daniel Defense large. BCM & Sionics on the other hand, have really dialed in their port sizes to what I would call ideal. And we're only talking a couple of thou difference.

So, if everything is same/same, I'd take a BCM over the Noveske N4. Button rifled or hammer forged. BUT you've already got two 11.5 barrels. If I was putting together another high quality SBR upper, I might want a different flavor and would probably do a 12.5" barrel. Because, West coast SEALs GL/SSC, that's why! Seriously though, the 12.5 is a really nice barrel length.

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
My $0.02. The Noveske and BCM hammer forged barrels are identical. Right down to the super duper, double chrome lining. Exact same barrel. And it's safe to say that they are spec'd similarly in terms of runout, concentricity and straightness. Accuracy between the two will be indistinguishable.

Now, in my opinion, Noveske gas ports run a little large. Not dpms large, but more like Daniel Defense large. BCM & Sionics on the other hand, have really dialed in their port sizes to what I would call ideal. And we're only talking a couple of thou difference.

So, if everything is same/same, I'd take a BCM over the Noveske N4. Button rifled or hammer forged. BUT you've already got two 11.5 barrels. If I was putting together another high quality SBR upper, I might want a different flavor and would probably do a 12.5" barrel. Because, West coast SEALs GL/SSC, that's why! Seriously though, the 12.5 is a really nice barrel length.
No No No.... I was content with 10.5 now I have 3 11.5s... Bought the same factory BCM 11.5 upper for the wife that @Leshaire is taking apart and added one of the Ion bonded FDE BCG.

I have the Scionics 11.5 and the BCM 11.5 from @Leshaire ill prolly use the SCI to finish out the Noveske build with a DD BCG and just keep the BCM as a spare barrel. Didn't really need it but got it for a decent/good price.

So many options running through my head and I can't decide because I can't see them for another 6 months or so.... #firstworldproblems

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
No No No.... I was content with 10.5 now I have 3 11.5s... Bought the same factory BCM 11.5 upper for the wife that @Leshaire is taking apart and added one of the Ion bonded FDE BCG.

I have the Scionics 11.5 and the BCM 11.5 from @Leshaire ill prolly use the SCI to finish out the Noveske build with a DD BCG and just keep the BCM as a spare barrel. Didn't really need it but got it for a decent/good price.

So many options running through my head and I can't decide because I can't see them for another 6 months or so.... #firstworldproblems
What am I here for, if not to create even more confusion!? OK man, if it's 11.5 or GTFO, keep the BCM. The N4 isn't going to do anything better or different.

Reactions: Leshaire

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
What am I here for, if not to create even more confusion!? OK man, if it's 11.5 or GTFO, keep the BCM. The N4 isn't going to do anything better or different.
Only reason I may consider a 12.5 is to pin and weld my pending IA mini grunt to it to Avoid SBRing another lower just because I can. I may end up using the spare 11.5 for that purpose if it makes it to 16 which it should since the barrel is 11.5 and the can is 5

Reactions: DarthVader