Not carrying a particular gun for self-defense because it’s too expensive?

American Revival Apparel Company

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
My duty weapon is a SIG P229 in .357SIG. Off -duty I carry either the SIG or a Beretta 92 Compact that’s been Wilson’ized. Nothing wrong with either handgun; they are accurate, reliable, and dependable. As long as I have to carry a DA/SA on duty, I’ll carry a DA/SA off-duty as well.

When I retire, I’ll have to qualify once a year to keep my retired creds and ability to carry like a Fed. Good thing is that I can carry any handgun that I want to. I’ll be going back to 1911’s, particularly a John Harrison-built STI Ranger II.

I paid approximately $1250 for the STI, then paid more than that to have the custom work and refinishing done. Some folks would say not to carry it, that I’ll either never get it back from police evidence, or that it will be rusty and ruined when I do. Why carry a $3000 1911 when I can carry a $400 Glock?

The thing is, I don’t shoot any handgun as well as I shoot a 1911. I shoot my SIG regularly, and nowadays I shoot my 1911’s rarely. I shoot my SIG very, very well. Even with that, today I still shoot my 1911’s better. When I shoot my 1911’s regularly......even better.

If I’m carrying a handgun for self defense, why would I not want to carry the handgun that I shoot the best? If I’m to be involved in a deadly force situation, wouldn’t I want every conceivable advantage that I could have? You’re dang right I would!

How much money would you pay to have an edge in a gunfight? For me, it would be every dime I have. If I’m involved in a deadly force situation, and I win, I don’t care about how much money I spent on the handgun that got me there.

I’m not knocking anyone that carries or Glocks.....or any other handgun, regardless of the cost. If your chosen EDC is a Glock 19, and it’s the handgun that you shoot the best........lucky you! Nothing wrong with that.

Carry what you wanna carry and don’t worry about how much it cost. How much is your life worth?

Reactions: Laufen and Jake

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
I used to carry this $4,500 Guncrafter Industries 1911 in a $175 holster. I don't really give a shit how much it costs, if I can shoot it well, it's getting carried.

20180722_101415.jpg

20180722_101430.jpg

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I never understood the “too expensive” to carry argument. Just being realistic, the chances of needing to use your gun are fairly small. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t still be prepared for that small chance though.

But given that small chance of it happening, I agree that if you shoot better with an expensive gun, you should carry it. I have always shot 1911s better than any other gun, if I could afford a nice 1911 that proved reliable enough I would carry it in a heartbeat.

Reactions: cmshoot

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I upgraded from a Shield to a Sig and dont understand the issue either. It is about all factors from comfort and concealment to reliability and accuracy! You should carry what you can defend your life best with regardless of the cost.

I never will forgot the first time I got married I asked the JOP how much for his services and he said what you think she is worth. Glad I only paid $50 because she ended up not being worth shit!

Reactions: cmshoot and Jake