Nikon “Black” optics

GA Firing Line

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
looking around I came across the Nikon Black line of optics. I remember hearing that they were supposed to be a slightly higher end lineup and the prices seem pretty good but I don’t know a lot about optics admittedly. Anyone have any experience or opinions?

@Laufen @cmshoot @Red Dawn

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
To be honest @AtlMedic I haven’t had my hands on one yet. I’ll read up tho and see what I can find you got me curious now.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
looking around I came across the Nikon Black line of optics. I remember hearing that they were supposed to be a slightly higher end lineup and the prices seem pretty good but I don’t know a lot about optics admittedly. Anyone have any experience or opinions?

@Laufen @cmshoot @Red Dawn
I haven’t handled or shot one, but I’d expect some decent Japanese glass, batch testing as far as qc goes, good coatings and a perfectly serviceable scope for most applications outside of match shooting and duty applications. They have a very limited choice of reticles, and they don’t look to be very “smart” by today’s standards. They have a zero stop feature which is nice, but it doesn’t look like they have an abundance of internal adjustment. Not a fan of the fast focus eyepiece or uncapped windsge knob. Looks like a nice choice for the money all said. I’d choose it over a comparable vortex all day.

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
I haven’t handled or shot one, but I’d expect some decent Japanese glass, batch testing as far as qc goes, good coatings and a perfectly serviceable scope for most applications outside of match shooting and duty applications. They have a very limited choice of reticles, and they don’t look to be very “smart” by today’s standards. They have a zero stop feature which is nice, but it doesn’t look like they have an abundance of internal adjustment. Not a fan of the fast focus eyepiece or uncapped windsge knob. Looks like a nice choice for the money all said.

LOL!! Beer snob, and now a optics snob...
Tell Nightforce they need to design a optic for the .50 machine gun. It needs to be easy to use and zero, because soldiers are dumb, and not really gun queers. The first line in the BDC needs to be at 500m out to 1300m. I'll be happy to take it on the range and test it for them. I'm actually pretty serious about this...

Reactions: dial1911 and Laufen

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
LOL!! Beer snob, and now a optics snob...
Tell Nightforce they need to design a optic for the .50 machine gun. It needs to be easy to use and zero, because soldiers are dumb, and not really gun queers. The first line in the BDC needs to be at 500m out to 1300m. I'll be happy to take it on the range and test it for them. I'm actually pretty serious about this...
The problem with a bdc reticle is that conditions are always changing. Is it calibrated for a high and dry desert atmosphere, or humid lowlands?. The reticles are designed to be employed after your calculations have been made, and not clutter up your field of view with irrelevant aiming points. Our mid tier nxs happily gobbles up 20mm Vulcan recoil. Zeroing is simple, same as any other scope.

image.jpg

I’ve always been an optics snob lol.

Last edited:

EugenFJR

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
The problem with a bdc reticle is that conditions are always changing. Is it calibrated for a high and dry desert atmosphere, or humid lowlands?. The reticles are designed to be employed after your calculations have been made, and not clutter up your field of view with irrelevant aiming points. Our mid tier nxs happily gobbles up 20mm Vulcan recoil. Zeroing is simple, same as any other scope.

View attachment 37260

I’ve always been an optics snob lol.

PM me your number. I'm serious about finding and fielding a simple optic for a .50 BMG .

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
PM me your number. I'm serious about finding and fielding a simple optic for a .50 BMG .
I’m going to ask my buddy upstairs in mil/gov about it. Also, we only sell through dealers or direct to mil/le via their purchasing channels.

EugenFJR

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
I’m going to ask my buddy upstairs in mil/gov about it. Also, we only sell through dealers or direct to mil/le via their purchasing channels.

Okay cool. I'll have to talk to some of my senior NCO's, and or officers. But PM me your number when you get a chance.

ReservoirDawg10

Sniper
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code
I haven’t handled or shot one, but I’d expect some decent Japanese glass, batch testing as far as qc goes, good coatings and a perfectly serviceable scope for most applications outside of match shooting and duty applications. They have a very limited choice of reticles, and they don’t look to be very “smart” by today’s standards. They have a zero stop feature which is nice, but it doesn’t look like they have an abundance of internal adjustment. Not a fan of the fast focus eyepiece or uncapped windsge knob. Looks like a nice choice for the money all said. I’d choose it over a comparable vortex all day.
And the Mil-r or MOAR are "smart?" Poking aside, Nikon really hasn't hasn't put much effort into the reticles. Most don't really need an overwhelming Horus reticle, but some christmas tree is nice when done properly. Especially for the group of shooters they are targeting with their new FFP models. That said, loads of shooters still gravitate towards the P4 and MSR reticles for their practical simplicity. 25 mils of elevation is perfectly acceptable out of a 30mm tube. Capped knobs are for the birds. Locking windage is much more useful and you don't have to fumble around with parts of your scope and keep track of them once you take them off to make adjustments.

BDC reticles suck. Nothing more than a marketing ploy. The world has to align in one's favor for them to be accurate.

I think for the price point (guessing around $600 street price), the new Nikons are a win, as long as they track properly. Only time and users will be able to determine that though. If they don't track, they are trash though, don't care what glass is in there. Look what happened to Steiner's following with the tracking issues they had on their T5Xi's.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
And the Mil-r or MOAR are "smart?" Poking aside, Nikon really hasn't hasn't put much effort into the reticles. Most don't really need an overwhelming Horus reticle, but some christmas tree is nice when done properly. Especially for the group of shooters they are targeting with their new FFP models. That said, loads of shooters still gravitate towards the P4 and MSR reticles for their practical simplicity. 25 mils of elevation is perfectly acceptable out of a 30mm tube. Capped knobs are for the birds. Locking windage is much more useful and you don't have to fumble around with parts of your scope and keep track of them once you take them off to make adjustments.

BDC reticles suck. Nothing more than a marketing ploy. The world has to align in one's favor for them to be accurate.

I think for the price point (guessing around $600 street price), the new Nikons are a win, as long as they track properly. Only time and users will be able to determine that though. If they don't track, they are trash though, don't care what glass is in there. Look what happened to Steiner's following with the tracking issues they had on their T5Xi's.
Yeah, the moar and milr are very basic,but there are other options in scopes that are directed at the types of users that can benefit from additional options. I dig a capped windage knob because I don’t dial wind, and once it’s set I want the assurance that it’s not going to move. It’s all about your style and preference though, you’re spot on

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
Okay cool. I'll have to talk to some of my senior NCO's, and or officers. But PM me your number when you get a chance.

What's old is new again?

main-qimg-c0979caebb68a9c39c2df15bddcb1d26-c

Reactions: ReservoirDawg10