Next gun purchase

Howard Law

Maharaja

Hunter
Jul 6, 2015
Art has me wanting an AK 74 so maybe one day soon or if lightning strikes a 308 Galil with a bunch of mags.

Or just keep that single shot 22 I have and call it good, decisions decisions.

Reactions: Shemp

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
I don't think anyone would argue that it's a buyer's market in the AR world right now. When I built my first one (out of already assembled parts... so "when I pinned my first upper onto a lower") I think I had 800 bucks or more into it going as budget as possible. Never thought I'd see sub $500 rifles.

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
Have you ever shot a PTR or other 91 clone before?

They are great rifles - not knocking that - but the ergos kind of suck. They are heavy (most 308s are) and the button mag release really sucks. The safety engage/disengage is not very intuitive. I put it more in the hunting rifle class - not something I would want to reload under stress. AKs have better ergos. You could always pay a gunsmith to put the original AK-style paddle mag release on one to make it more like the original HK91...which is actually a huge improvement. Having owned one before, I probably would not own another. But, they are reliable and surplus mags are dirt cheap and in the $3 range. Optics mounting is a challenge and they are not setup for a true cheek weld with a scope and the standard stock. Iron sights on a 308 kind of defeats the purpose.

I would recommend trying one out before diving head first into the platform.

If I wanted a $1000 308 semi-auto right now I would probably look for an AR-10. Just my opinion...

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
Have you ever shot a PTR or other 91 clone before?

They are great rifles - not knocking that - but the ergos kind of suck. They are heavy (most 308s are) and the button mag release really sucks. The safety engage/disengage is not very intuitive. I put it more in the hunting rifle class - not something I would want to reload under stress. AKs have better ergos. You could always pay a gunsmith to put the original AK-style paddle mag release on one to make it more like the original HK91...which is actually a huge improvement. Having owned one before, I probably would not own another. But, they are reliable and surplus mags are dirt cheap and in the $3 range. Optics mounting is a challenge and they are not setup for a true cheek weld with a scope and the standard stock. Iron sights on a 308 kind of defeats the purpose.

I would recommend trying one out before diving head first into the platform.

If I wanted a $1000 308 semi-auto right now I would probably look for an AR-10. Just my opinion...

I'd stay far and clear of an AR10, but I would buy a DPMS G2 Recon.

Reactions: Shemp

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
Art has me wanting an AK 74 so maybe one day soon or if lightning strikes a 308 Galil with a bunch of mags.

Or just keep that single shot 22 I have and call it good, decisions decisions.

If I could afford one there would be no question...