New Taurus SS M605 .357 Magnum range report

Faktory 47

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
I purchased a Taurus 605 .357 magnum (blued) Saturday and when I got it home and took it out of the box I noticed I could rotate the cylinder with it closed, needless to say I was disappointed but not mad. I have purchased many new guns in the past that were not Taurus’s and had a issue or two with one so I wasn't that upset. I called the Fin Feather Fur where I purchased it and they said I could bring it back and they will handle sending back to Taurus since I just purchased it or I could exchange it. Well of course I didn't want to wait and luck having it they were out of the blued version so I jumped off of $40.00 more bucks and got the SS which I really wanted anyways but was trying to save a few bucks. I am letting people know this because no matter what brand of firearm you purchase there is always a small chance that something could be wrong with it and it is no reason to bash or think little of that company. Gun manufacturers are usually really good about backing up their products. Done with that now let’s get to the good stuff!

Besides the Judge SS 3” Magnum (which I really love) this is my only other revolver. I always wanted to try carrying a revolver so I thought this was a good time to get one because I fear prices may be rising on guns and ammo but I really have no clue if that’s true. But hey; why risk it right! Any ways that’s what I told my wife and she bought into it so it’s all good there. ;)

I took it to my son’s house and only got to run 10 rounds of.357 Blazer Brass 158 grain through it due to rain. But wow!!! I love this little 2”cannon!!! First shot (you see the round in the picture below) was at 15’ and shot through ½ inch plywood and went pretty deep into the ground behind it, I didn’t measure it and my son dug it up so I can’t say for sure of the penetration. I was 2” away from the bull’s-eye so I am really happy with it. I was also impressed with the expansion of the round as well. This is my 3rd Taurus. I had no issues with the recoil; it doesn’t fly up and want to hit you in the face which is great, it seems to just push backwards and a little up which I really like. (I hope that made sense) Well balanced in that area. I love everything about this little jewel even the price. Only thing I did notice is the seam on the grip where my middle finger rubs against it right behind the trigger guard there is a little lip that irritates my finger. I am sure I can find something to smooth it out without scratching up the grip. (Suggestions are welcome) I want to get some .38’s to run through it the next time I go to the range and I will post further on it after that. All in all I am very happy with it. Life is good.

M605.jpg

You will notice rounds in the cylinder, they are spent casings to enhance the picture.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
Nice report. Nice gun. I still like wheel guns but I currently only have one. You mentioned your Judge. I like the judge if for no other reason, the pure novelty of it. Of course I am a bit of a shotgun nut anyway.

M

mukwah

Thanks for the report Ron, enjoyed it! Very nice looking revolver, I like it! Had a friend who had the same trigger guard problem on his SP101. Smithy smoothed it out for him with no problems afterward.

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
bigdogdaddy said:
Nice report. Nice gun. I still like wheel guns but I currently only have one. You mentioned your Judge. I like the judge if for no other reason, the pure novelty of it. Of course I am a bit of a shotgun nut anyway.

Thanks, I purchased the Judge for fun at first. I loved the novelty of it as well which I think is what attracted me to it.. After getting to know it (I have the 3" SS magnum version that shoots the 3" shells) if you put some 00 or 000 buck in that it makes an awesome HD round. It's pretty awesome 15' or less with that ammo. Bird shot not so much as not enough power in it to really do any damage cept varmints and the pattern is really wide spread after 10-15' feet as well. But it is a whole mess of fun to shoot. Plus the .45LC round is nothing to sneeze at.

millsriver

Hunter
Jun 21, 2012
North Carolina
You got a great deal. I have an older 605 in .357 that has been flawless since day one. As much as I like auto pistols (and I have a few), when something goes bump in the night I grab for my revolver. Something about a revolver that says "dependable" to me.

M

mukwah

That revolver looks like it would be pretty easy to carry concealed! Have you tryed it out yet?

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
mukwah said:
That revolver looks like it would be pretty easy to carry concealed! Have you tryed it out yet?

Actually I have carried it all day yesterday shopping and this evening around the house. This weighs about as much as the SR9c but it is allot thinner. I just picked a Blackhawk #8 IWB holster at the Fin when I got the gun for $11.95 and I got to tell you, I really like carrying this gun so far. I wore it about 5 hours strait Sunday when we were out. I know it's new to me and I am infatuated with it but I have carried long enough that this is going to be with me allot. I have a decent 1.5 inch belt so the weight isn't bad at all since I carry the SR9c and I am use that weight. The grip is thinner than the SR9c. I am pretty sure I would have no issues carrying this in the summer like I do the LCP I don't pocket carry just IWB or shoulder. Being a 5 shot cylinder it is thin and of course the steel frame is very thin. Elsie is getting a vacation while I test this out and I do feel a little guilty lol. I have wore it with my joggers tonight like I do Elsie and I am sold on it. It is like Elsie in the fact it's not a range gun but it is going to be a great carry gun. I will post more in a few weeks after I carry it for a while but I think I got a winner. I like the idea of a .357 magnum and the 5 shots isn't really bothering me. If anything bugs me or gets me concerned I will post it but for now life is good.

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
There is another thing I like about this revolver other carry revolvers is the SAO/DAO. I really like having a hammer I can use. Plus the price, the Fin is $329.00 for the blued and $369.00 for the SS. I have to watch pricing, my wallet is swelled from taking a beating not because it has money in it. :p

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
Understood! My business is seasonal and January & February is the season where almost no money comes in but expenses are still present. If my billfold had ribs they would be showing.

That gun is a dandy. I like revolvers. Not sure how I got down to only one in my safe. That needs to be fixed I guess.

Silverfox1

Hunter
Jun 10, 2012
Louisville, KY
RugerRon60 said:
There is another thing I like about this revolver other carry revolvers is the SAO/DAO. I really like having a hammer I can use. Plus the price, the Fin is $329.00 for the blued and $369.00 for the SS. I have to watch pricing, my wallet is swelled from taking a beating not because it has money in it. :p
Man I've really been wanting a revolver. I don't want to spend or have a lot of money to spend on one and this one really interests me. Thanks for the post! I've also been interested in trying a Taurus, so this would kill two birds with one stone. Wonder if my wife would recognize that this is a new gun to the house if I were to bring one home. ;)

R

rayzer007

RugerRon60 said:
There is another thing I like about this revolver other carry revolvers is the SAO/DAO. I really like having a hammer I can use.

The hammer looks nice and wide Ron, much more substantial than many other snubs.

Ray

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
I love my Rugers but I can't seem to put this down, even with the cheap Blackhawk holster it carry's great, I bought 2 Bianchi speed strips and keep them in my fromt pocket, you can reload fast, 2 rounds at a time with these strips. It is a snappy thing but it is a .357 magnum, can't get away from that. I'll go back to Elsie when warm weather comes I think but with the big coats out there this winter I like the security this provides. The trigger is nice, for the money I am totally happy, this is my 3rd Taurus. Plus you get a free year subscription to the NRA when you buy a Taurus.