New 45

Faktory 47

Cooper

Woodsman
Mar 6, 2010
Alabama USA
Everything you said makes a lot of sense to me. Maybe a cool gun during the first few magazines is the reason I don't experience any FTRTB. My typical range trip is 150 rounds. This gun feels the best in my hand of any other compact that I have held. My wife shoots the LCP (her carry gun) really well but to me it is more punishing than the XDs45.
By the way, on a different subject, when I answered the email notification it said that I needed to log back in before I could post. I simply exited and accessed the forum again through my desktop. Maybe this is a software problem.
Its the way I have the email setup since its going and linking from a 3rd party which I am working on because I for one am not getting any email notifications.

Reactions: 2 people

Nano65

Hunter
Dec 16, 2014
DFW area
I live my XDS45 and it's been flawless. That being said, I purchased mine used from a friend who wanted something different after the recall. So when I got it mine already had a 500 round breakin and a polished feed ramp. Polishing the feed ramp might help, just go slow. Remove the barrel and use toothpaste on it while watching TV. Just use your finger and it will take out any rough areas. That is the slow but safe method. A dremel is faster but a lot more room for goofing up a great gun.
Yes, I did polish the feed ramp but never had any feeding issues.

Nano65

Hunter
Dec 16, 2014
DFW area
Update: Last Friday I went to the range with the XDs45 and shot 100 rounds of Federal Champion 230 gr FMJ and 50 rounds of Monarch 230 gr FMJ making a total of 643 rounds. All 150 rounds totally trouble free.

Before going to the range I decided to make a little modification. The reason for the failure to return to battery is the extractor is being held too tight against the rim of the round causing too much tension just before the slide goes back into full battery. I have read that some people remove the little green rubber piece inside the extractor spring and that cures the problem. I decided to shorten the piece by 0.038" and reinstall it inside the extractor spring. After doing that I could press check and the slide would always return to full battery. I read somewhere that another guy shortened it by 0.050" and his gun worked fine after that. Here is a picture of the fixture that I made using a block of wood to allow me to use a razor blade to accurately cut the rubber piece. The 1/16" hole is there to allow me to push the rubber out after cutting.

1X7NhcXl.jpg

Aimless1

Woodsman
Jan 20, 2013
NW Iowa
Good job on the fix Nano. I don't hesitate to tweak something that is wrong on a gun.....if it's a replaceable part like that. Just make sure you've tested it enough to rely on it.
I bought an XD9sc a while back for carry and it shoots extremely well even with the 3" barrel. Kinda homely like a Glock, but I love shooting it.

Nano65

Hunter
Dec 16, 2014
DFW area
Impressive gun work Nano!
Thanks. I have to admit that when I have a problem I do a lot of research before I do anything to the gun to fix the problem. There is a very good video on XD Forum on how to dis assemble an XDs. Also, this idea of shortening the green rubber insert to re-leave a little of the tension on the extractor was not mine. I wanted to remove just enough to accomplish the objective without going overboard. I'm sure the green rubber piece has a purpose or it would not have been designed in. I did buy a spare extractor spring and the rubber piece from XD Gun Parts before I started. Didn't need them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nano65

Hunter
Dec 16, 2014
DFW area
Good job on the fix Nano. I don't hesitate to tweak something that is wrong on a gun.....if it's a replaceable part like that. Just make sure you've tested it enough to rely on it.
I bought an XD9sc a while back for carry and it shoots extremely well even with the 3" barrel. Kinda homely like a Glock, but I love shooting it.
It was really not that bad but I didn't want any FTRTB. After the modification I "knew" it was fixed when the press check worked like it should. The range trip just confirmed it. Thanks for the comments. I do love shooting the XDs. I have read so many comments about the XDs45 hurting the hand to shoot it. I consider that I'm about average height and build and I can honestly say that it is comfortable to shoot. Now my LCP is another story. Sure glad you like your XD9sc.

Reactions: 4 people