New 45

GA Firing Line

max

Hunter
Jul 16, 2013
Northern Idaho
Hey all just picked up a new Springfield XDs today, I have not had time to take it out and shoot yet but I really like the feel of it. Does anyone else have one? If so let me know what you think.

Reactions: 2 people

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
I have two of them and had them about a month after they were released. Great carry gun especially if you want to carry .45 caliber. Not sure if you got the .45 or the 9mm. Both the same size and about the same size as a LC9. I make lots of holsters for the XDS and I know they are very popular and big sellers. Hope you enjoy yours!

R

rayzer007

Great gun Max. My friend has one and pulled a little strip of inner tube over the grip to make it more comfortable.

Ray

M

mukwah

I also have an XDs (in .45) and love it. Nice conceal carry size to!

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
Congratulations!

The XDs is on the short list and remains rare here. I've only seen one in the case and didn't have the chance to handle it.

Pricing wasn't bad as I expected.

max

Hunter
Jul 16, 2013
Northern Idaho
3Coyotes said:
Congratulations!

The XDs is on the short list and remains rare here. I've only seen one in the case and didn't have the chance to handle it.

Pricing wasn't bad as I expected.

Here I had my choice between 4 different store and the pricing ran anywhere from $599 to $549 which is what I paid.

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
This thread is really making me sway from my planning, I am going to do one more weapon purchase this year around October (knob creek gun show) and I was thinking a AR/AK or a large frame revolver, but the last two times I have been to Wal-Mart they have has boxes of .45 ACP's and long gun/shot gun ammo. I have always wanted a XDs .45.

max

Hunter
Jul 16, 2013
Northern Idaho
Update went out and shot it today 250 not one issue. The recoil was managable and the gun shoots sweet. I am glad I purchased this gun, I think this has just become my carry gun. I have two 5 rd mags and one 7 round magazines for it I can not be happier.

R

rayzer007

I don't think the XDs can be beaten as a carry .45. I have not heard anything but rave reviews. It feels good, looks sharp, great sights, very concealable, and goes boom every time! What more is there to say?

Ray

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
Congratulations. The Springfield XDs are the rage here in the shops and store. They can't keep enough on hand to meet the demand.

Nano65

Hunter
Dec 16, 2014
DFW area
This is a very old thread but since we are reviving things around here I thought I would tell you about my XDs45 that I bought on 3/18/16. The bottom line first is that I really like it and plan to keep it. I had several failure to return to battery (FTRTB) during the first 200 rounds. Sent it back to Springfield Armory for a fix. They said they recut the slide and test fired. I could not see any evidence of the recut. Back to the range. I still had a few FTRTB with Winchester 230 gr and Federal Champion 230 gr. I have tried to make sure to not limp wrist. Now here is the interesting part. Every time I have a FTRTB with light off center strike and no fire it is at least 40 to 50 rounds after I get to the range. Even firing single handed weak side doesn't cause a FTRTB before the first 40 rounds. That is why I consider it reliable enough to carry.
One person suggested that it could be a lubrication problem. After each range trip I have thoroughly cleaned the gun including the striker and channel which was left dry. I have also removed the extractor and cleaned that area and upon reassembly left it dry. The FTRTB seems to be caused by the extractor being too tight on the rim of the round. A slight press on the back of the extractor will cause the slide to go into full battery. After it returned from SA I cleaned it thoroughly and used the Froglube treatment. The next time I go to the range I will re-lube it after 30 rounds and see if that helps. Any suggestions you folks might have would be appreciated. 493 rounds shot so far.
wccejIUl.jpg

Cooper

Woodsman
Mar 6, 2010
Alabama USA
Seems like it just need to break in more, the more you shoot it the more it will loosen up, If you get to 600-800 rounds and still haveing problems I would send it back again and tell them to Fix it or send you a full refund.

One thing to keep in mind that as you shoot its going to get hot and the metal is going to expand so after a box if you are just shooting shooting and shooting the gun will be hot. Depending on the metal they used it may expand more or less compared to other guns.

BubbaDX

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
St. Louis, MO
This is a very old thread but since we are reviving things around here I thought I would tell you about my XDs45 that I bought on 3/18/16. The bottom line first is that I really like it and plan to keep it. I had several failure to return to battery (FTRTB) during the first 200 rounds. Sent it back to Springfield Armory for a fix. They said they recut the slide and test fired. I could not see any evidence of the recut. Back to the range. I still had a few FTRTB with Winchester 230 gr and Federal Champion 230 gr. I have tried to make sure to not limp wrist. Now here is the interesting part. Every time I have a FTRTB with light off center strike and no fire it is at least 40 to 50 rounds after I get to the range. Even firing single handed weak side doesn't cause a FTRTB before the first 40 rounds. That is why I consider it reliable enough to carry.
One person suggested that it could be a lubrication problem. After each range trip I have thoroughly cleaned the gun including the striker and channel which was left dry. I have also removed the extractor and cleaned that area and upon reassembly left it dry. The FTRTB seems to be caused by the extractor being too tight on the rim of the round. A slight press on the back of the extractor will cause the slide to go into full battery. After it returned from SA I cleaned it thoroughly and used the Froglube treatment. The next time I go to the range I will re-lube it after 30 rounds and see if that helps. Any suggestions you folks might have would be appreciated. 493 rounds shot so far.
wccejIUl.jpg

I live my XDS45 and it's been flawless. That being said, I purchased mine used from a friend who wanted something different after the recall. So when I got it mine already had a 500 round breakin and a polished feed ramp. Polishing the feed ramp might help, just go slow. Remove the barrel and use toothpaste on it while watching TV. Just use your finger and it will take out any rough areas. That is the slow but safe method. A dremel is faster but a lot more room for goofing up a great gun.

Nano65

Hunter
Dec 16, 2014
DFW area
Seems like it just need to break in more, the more you shoot it the more it will loosen up, If you get to 600-800 rounds and still haveing problems I would send it back again and tell them to Fix it or send you a full refund.

One thing to keep in mind that as you shoot its going to get hot and the metal is going to expand so after a box if you are just shooting shooting and shooting the gun will be hot. Depending on the metal they used it may expand more or less compared to other guns.
Everything you said makes a lot of sense to me. Maybe a cool gun during the first few magazines is the reason I don't experience any FTRTB. My typical range trip is 150 rounds. This gun feels the best in my hand of any other compact that I have held. My wife shoots the LCP (her carry gun) really well but to me it is more punishing than the XDs45.
By the way, on a different subject, when I answered the email notification it said that I needed to log back in before I could post. I simply exited and accessed the forum again through my desktop. Maybe this is a software problem.