• Save Your Money

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
Your last part is key. After going to Rob's optic class, if you don't have the understanding, it won't matter at all, MOA, shooters MOA, Mil, just won't matter.

Yes, the mixed turret/reticle are still a mystery to me. Doesn't make much since to add that extra step of annoying to an optic.

Just learning more about long range optics, but I think MOA will be my first choice. Unknown ranging should be the same-ish for both from seeing the examples and hearing how too. The part I see having the biggest issue with will be sizing a target (the human interpretation error part), especially something very far in high heat when you cannot use you max power. Again though, lots for me to learn. Long range optics have been my weak point for sure. Just hoping to get into them and get comfortable with the basics and going from there.

Learning some of this stuff, I'm no master at it btw, made me wonder why anybody wants to buy bdc type scopes. They're only set to one load in lab conditions so you have to add in the figuring anyway.

If you're an iron sights shooter, you can also do a plenty good enough job ranging with no optics at all. Measure your front sight post width in moa and go from there.

A feature of Appleseed KD clinics is measuring targets of known size at unknown distances. Targets will be hid, sometimes dressed in fatigues, in different cover and distances. Students will be given a time limit to ID and range and must get it within 5% up or down to get credit. I've seen quite a few winners of the game do with nothing but their FSP.

Reactions: Wallace and scand

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
Learning some of this stuff, I'm no master at it btw, made me wonder why anybody wants to buy bdc type scopes. They're only set to one load in lab conditions so you have to add in the figuring anyway.

If you're an iron sights shooter, you can also do a plenty good enough job ranging with no optics at all. Measure your front sight post width in moa and go from there.

A feature of Appleseed KD clinics is measuring targets of known size at unknown distances. Targets will be hid, sometimes dressed in fatigues, in different cover and distances. Students will be given a time limit to ID and range and must get it within 5% up or down to get credit. I've seen quite a few winners of the game do with nothing but their FSP.
That sounds like it would be pretty fun. I too am FAR from being an optics/long range expert, but hope to gain as much knowledge as I can moving forward.

Commenting on BDC, yes, pretty much useless unless you are only going out to a few hundred yards (then hold off would probably work just as well). But on an optic designed for reach out and touch stuff, seems useless. The owners manual should indicate which conditions and ammo were used to calculate the hash marks, but reality is, who is going to see those conditions everyone?

I know that a zero stop will be another option I would like vs having to remember the stadia lines for each optics zero. Yes, I could keep the info in the dope book too, but a zero stop would be handy, especially if I ever get into competitions and get a case of head up ass.

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
The most valuable attribute to a scope is the ability to return to zero. If it can't do that, it's junk.

I don't have zero stops, only the ability to zero the turrets by moving the cap after zeroing, but it works.

This is also a must after confirming data in the field. image.jpeg

ReservoirDawg10

Sniper
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code
Of course it is. It stands almost no chance of ever gaining value. That qualifies it as a personal liability, not an investment. I'm talking from a strictly financial point of view here.

Nothing having to do with an investment piece was mentioned...

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
Your last part is key. After going to Rob's optic class, if you don't have the understanding, it won't matter at all, MOA, shooters MOA, Mil, just won't matter.

Yes, the mixed turret/reticle are still a mystery to me. Doesn't make much since to add that extra step of annoying to an optic.

Just learning more about long range optics, but I think MOA will be my first choice. Unknown ranging should be the same-ish for both from seeing the examples and hearing how too. The part I see having the biggest issue with will be sizing a target (the human interpretation error part), especially something very far in high heat when you cannot use you max power. Again though, lots for me to learn. Long range optics have been my weak point for sure. Just hoping to get into them and get comfortable with the basics and going from there.

Target detection is by far the hardest part, at least when it's not wanting to get shot.

At one class, I was using irons but not important, we had 6 targets hid in the area around the pistol pits at the CMP range. The farthest was 500+ yards away in the woods, I had no problem finding it. The closest was about 50 yards away, I couldn't find it at all. It was a full size IDPA target wearing old worn out ACUs. It wasn't even hid, just in front of a bunch of brownish grass in front of a berm.

One of the other instructors has a book filled with objects sized in mils. Different road signs, different vehicle windows, every external part of a house that's somewhat standard or has to be a certain size by code. Anything you can think of and a bunch of stuff you would never think of on the off chance that it will be needed one day.