ND ends in tragedy

Howard Law

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
As many of you know, I have a good friend from my church that has been my mentor in regards to military arms and reloading for a couple of years. I have even written a thread about him (on the other forum) and his generous nature. Well, his wife is just as nice a person as he is and they have suffered a terrible loss.

Yesterday my friend Mark's son in law lost his life to a negligent discharge of his weapon. I knew him fairly well and he was well trained in firearms handling. He served 4 years active duty in the military and was currently in the Army Reserve. He was only 42 years old.

I only write this to remind all of you that we are not exempt from doing something stupid. It only takes a split second to make a life changing or life ending mistake. 4 simple rules.

1. All guns are to be treated as if they are loaded, which is why I personally do not dry fire.
2. The muzzle of a gun is not to be pointed at anything that you are not willing to put a hole in.
3. The finger is not to be on trigger unless you are ready to shoot.
4. Know your target and what is behind it.

Yogi 117

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Salem OR
Condolences to you & your friend's entire family. Tragedy always reminds us how fragile life can be. The basic gun safety rules should always be reviewed over & over. Thx for this reminder.

And again BDD, sorry for your loss! Yogi :'(

framedcraig1

no fear...Ruger is here.
Jun 8, 2012
Mapleton,ut
So sorry BDD. This is a tragedy in every way. This should be a tremendous reminder to all of us. Always remember the four rules of gun safety, and stay safe out there all. There..but for the grace of God...Love and condolences to the family...and yours Bigdogdaddy. C

M

mukwah

Sad story for sure. A potent reminder of what can happen if you let you guard down for even a split second!

R

rayzer007

I'm so sorry to read of this tragedy BDD. Thanks for posting it. :'(

Ray

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
This is truly sad. Prayers to all. Thanks for posting, we all need constant reminders on the seriousness of gun safety and how a minutia of a second can affect so many lives.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
I do not want to get into details but it appears to be a familiar story. Dropped mag. Left one in the chamber. Then violated those age old safety rules.

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers.