My wife would like a shotgun!

Howard Law
R

rayzer007

My wife, bless her little heart, surprised me tonight by saying she would like a shotgun for under the bed! That was completely unexpected, but I immediately called my FFL friend and he recommended a Mossberg 18" 20 guage. I will defer to his expertise on the load also, and told him to go ahead and order one, and some shells! Looking forward to the home defense improvement! Never had one before, but always wanted one. Life is good! ;D
Excited about my Utah permit class tomorrow morning too! The application will be in the mail shortly after noon tomorrow, and I'll be good to go in 34 states. Makes traveling SO much more pleasant. ;)

Ray

M

mukwah

Gotta love a wife who wants a shotgun! Good luck on your class razer, I'm sure you'll do fine! Feels good to know you have a permit honored in that many states!

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
20 gauge is a good choice for your wife.

Not too long ago I pick up a Remington Wingmaster 20 gauge with Long barrel and 18 inch short barrel for my granddaughter.

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

Yogi 117

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Salem OR
BG's will run from a 20 gauge just as fast as the 12 gauge, so for the Mrs, probably a good choice. Good luck with the Utah permit class, it's a great way to go for a 2nd carry permit. Yogi 8)

M

mukwah

20ga is a very popular HD round. Make sure she gets some range time with it so she'll know what to expect as far as recoil!

R

rayzer007

mukwah said:
20ga is a very popular HD round. Make sure she gets some range time with it so she'll know what to expect as far as recoil!
Yes, and safety, safety, safety!
Ray

millsriver

Hunter
Jun 21, 2012
North Carolina
Great choice! There is nothing that says "don't come in here" like the sound of pump action shotgun. It is like a rattlesnake; even if you never heard one before, you instinctively know that sound and know that it is not somewhere you want to be.

R

rayzer007

Utah permit class was a good one. Should have a 34 state carry license in a few months. I was shocked at how old I looked in the picture taken for the permit! :eek:
On the other hand, I'm probably just not photogenic! ;) :D

Stopped by my FFL friend's and ordered a Mossberg 4085 - 20 gauge for my wife. 18 1/2" barrel with two removable stock pieces. Should be just the right size for her!
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/61871

Ray

R

rayzer007

Verticoli said:
3+1? Seems like it should hold more than that. otoh, it'll keep the weight down I guess.
I agree the 3+1 is not a lot, but for my wife to use in a break-in situation,that should do. I'm not sure what the load will be, I'm deferring that decision to my friend who is an NRA instructor and experienced in training small women with shotgun usage. The 18" barrel and removal of the two outer stock pieces should allow my wife to operate it effectively. I'm looking forward to shooting it my self, and will update the post with some pictures and my impressions in a few weeks! Apparently, this particular model has just recently hit the market by popular demand.
Ray

R

rayzer007

Verticoli said:
That single +1 would do the do at indoor range is what I'd guess, regardless of load.

"Do the do at the indoor range" is a humorous phrase Verticoli, I'll have to remember that one! The FFL ordering my shotgun called the box of shells he was going to set me up with "hamburger makers" . I got a kick out of that line too! This is going to be fun!

Ray

Verticoli

Personal philosophy? Clothing optional.
Jun 10, 2012
Fl's west coast
LOL, I got into it with a guy who insisted that buckshot was better than birdshot at indoor range. At 20 feet, I'd doubt a gut shot BG could tell the dif, and that was the argument. Your house will be a biohazard site in either case.

In fact, a modern grenade shoots BB sized pelets at 3 times the speed of sound. LMK what the "hamburger makers" are, if you will. It'll be a hoot. ;D ;D

R

rayzer007

I ordered some quality 20 gauge snap caps today, and reread the Mossberg manual several times. We will practice, practice, practice with the snap caps before hitting the range. Total familiarization in the dark with all aspects is a must. Some speed drills too!

Ray

R

rayzer007

I pick up the Mossberg 5045 tomorrow @ 4pm from the FFL! He ordered #4 buckshot for it. Already have a friend at work coming by to see it and said he will probably order one too!

Ray