Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

My AR

Gealousy

Hunter
Figured I'd share a pic of the AR I picked up.

It's an M&P Sport. Chambered for 5.56 and mil-spec.

Where the Sport comes in (apparently) is that there is no forward assist and no dust cover.

Being my first and not having a lot of cash it suits me just fine as my first. $749, a deal I couldn't pass up.

Plus it was destiny I think...

5ugebege.jpg

Gealousy

Hunter
Thanks Doug!

Yeah I got her a couple 6 or 8 weeks ago. My dad just got his first about four months ago and I've been jealous ever since! We've been talking back and forth about all the craziness with magazine caps, and all the other laws that could be coming down from the feds…

I was here at the LGS here in Aurora picking up some ammo and they had her sitting on the wall…

It was about 330 in the afternoon on a Thursday. I actually held her and was debating on buying her that day, but then I figured I better not because I didn't have the money really… I asked the guys at the shop if they've been getting them in pretty regularly, and one said "nope, this is the first shipment of any ARs we've seen in a while… We just unboxed these about 30 minutes ago…" Another guy actually said "that one (the one I was holding) will be sold by tonight I bet at that price…"

I left with my ammo and didn't buy!!! Ah!

Then I was talking to a couple of my buddies and man, they were making me feel dumb for walking out on her.

"For that price are you crazy you should've got two!!! I might go down after work and get her myself!"

So that night I was tossing and turning, I was beside myself I had done something dumb.

I made myself a deal, I would call that LGS the next morning and if they still had her I was going to go get her.

I was pretty sure it would already be sold, but I made the deal with myself anyway!

The next morning I called, and the owner answered, and he remembered me looking at her the day before.

He said "oh sorry buddy I think we ended up selling that one, but let me just doublecheck to be sure…"

He came back on the line and said "Hey what do you know we still have her… Want me to holder for you?"

Ha ha! That's why I say… Destiny… :D

Sarge

Woodsman
Congrats on your new rifle! That "tossing and turning" is called "AR Fever." S&W makes a nice AR-15/M4. I've got the standard carbine version of the M&P 15. They came out with the M&P Sport to keep the cost down a little. You really don't need a forward assist. Also, when the bolt is closed, it's pretty much a closed system anyway so you don't need a dust cover either. IMHO, S&W hit a homerun with this model.

Now you have to decide if you want to keep her stock, or dress her out some. She will be fine just the way she is, or you can go hog wild with red dot scopes, regular scopes, lasers, quad rails, flashlights, etc. The beauty of the AR platform is you can change the appearance and function of that rifle in 15 minutes. It's like having 10 rifles in one. You could eventually get another upper in .308 or whatever caliber you want. It's great for target shooting, plinking, varmint hunting, hog hunting, deer hunting (even with .223/5.56 if using the right bullet), self-defense, you name it.

Make sure you have good ear protection! It's one of the loudest rifles I've ever shot. Have fun!

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Nice catch. The tossing and turning is a familiar feeling, that happened to me the night before I bought my .357. Someday I hope to own an AR. I have a 9mm carbine on order since December of last year.

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Barbie for Men. Great stuff. Hang on to your wallet, it's a fun ride!

See if you can get a .22LR Conversion Kit and save some bucks.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Sontag - where can I get a BIG copy (one that can be printed large with good quality) of that poster? It would be perfect for my shop and/or office. ;D

Gealousy

Hunter
Thanks guys! I'm pretty excited for my first venture into this long gun venture. Until now I've been a handgun guy only... It was a great deal.

I'm sure you guys are aware of Colorado's new 15r mag limit effective 7/1. So far my funds have been dedicated to mags.

I did the Magpul Boulder Airlift and have a few that arrived but I'm giving my dad a couple of those. I want to be sure I have enough for this sport and my .... Errr... Next one?! Hahah so I will have the one Magpul 30r that came with it for regular use and then I should have 6 mags wrapped in protective plastic for future purchases. (GRIN)

I have already bought Barbie some new clothes. I like Magpul, mostly because of their great outspokenness towards the oppression we are facing so I decided to get as many Magpul pieces as I could afford.

If you notice I have a new Magpul carbine handguard, the MOE rubberized grip and the MOE adjustable stock, (the one from S&W was terribly loose!) it came with Magpul's flip up rear sight which is cool but I want to get a respectable scope but that's a ways down the road.

I also have the sling which is just proper for a good day out in the field shooting in my opinion. I went with a Viking Tactics sling (padded).

You can see the difference if you see the pic from the day I got her home (up to and including the cardboard box she came in!):
Before:
ynubabev.jpg

After:
zyhe3ube.jpg

Confession: I haven't even shot this girl yet. Ammo is ridiculously hard to come by! Even online. I only have about 120r stocked so far but am tryin to come up on more. I've been paying about 70¢ a round locally but, like I said, mags have really been my priority with the laws looming in (or I'd be closer to 500r right now!). It's more of an investment for me right now, fun is yet to come.

I did manage to shoot some 9mm this week finally after a couple months so that was nice.

D

Denny4kids

Hey Gealousy, nice weapon! If you need mags, Sawtooth Tactical here in Idaho has gen 3 p-mags for $20. limit 10, as of the 10th of April.

Den

Gealousy

Hunter
Denny4kids said:
Hey Gealousy, nice weapon! If you need mags, Sawtooth Tactical here in Idaho has gen 3 p-mags for $20. limit 10, as of the 10th of April.

Den
Must have just missed them looks like their site is saying out of stock... But thanks for the try!

D

Denny4kids

Don't give up. I would call them on Tuesday (closed Mon.) and make sure. He might not have put them on the web site. I heard about them on a local forum. Denny