Most Overlooked Underprepared Weapon

Faktory 47

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
One of the most commonly overlooked things that a survivalist, prepper, warrior mindset overlooks in today's age in physical fitness, health and nutrition.

We buy gear, we buy firearms, ammo, knives, bags, molle items, stockpile food and water and hopefully medical equipment. However many of us, myself included miss the biggest vulnerability on the list, out personal health. I began considering this fact this past year as I'm becoming more fit and healthy. From the simplest viewpoint, you want to be faster, stronger, more agile and have more stamina than the zombies right? Well what about those that have diet related diabetes? Or hypertension? Joint issues? etc. There are so many diet related and weight controlled issues that we are reliant upon medication to keep in check that if/when SHTF, many of us would be SOL.

So consider a healthy lifestyle, not a crash diet. Remove bad things from your diet and introduce good things. Make small changes often and things will start happening.

Our bodies and minds after all are our greatest weapon and greatest, most precious gift.

What's your thoughts on this subject?

Reactions: sam

StevoD

Hunter
Sep 13, 2014
Springboro Ohio
Dougie,
Great conversation topic. As one who used to weight 295 and now 215-225 health was an issue for me as a previous couch potato. I started watching calories, carbs switch to complex carbs, cardio exercise, etc. I was able to trim down weight over 6-8 months. I also rely on AdvoCare Supplements to fill in nutritional gaps, tone, and energy. The products are safe best scientifically on the planet. Spark Energy provides me 3-5 hours of sustained energy, concentration, focus, alertness.. Exactly what we want behind the trigger. I also use catalyst which is a branch chain amino acid that protects lean muscle tissue, but attacks fat and tones and sculpts. Amazing products safe and shelf life is long for preppers!!

Health is vital to be ready to survive. Check out www.energized4health.com

Reactions: sam and dougiemac

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
Dougie,
Great conversation topic. As one who used to weight 295 and now 215-225 health was an issue for me as a previous couch potato. I started watching calories, carbs switch to complex carbs, cardio exercise, etc. I was able to trim down weight over 6-8 months. I also rely on AdvoCare Supplements to fill in nutritional gaps, tone, and energy. The products are safe best scientifically on the planet. Spark Energy provides me 3-5 hours of sustained energy, concentration, focus, alertness.. Exactly what we want behind the trigger. I also use catalyst which is a branch chain amino acid that protects lean muscle tissue, but attacks fat and tones and sculpts. Amazing products safe and shelf life is long for preppers!!

Health is vital to be ready to survive. Check out www.energized4health.com

I was also at 289 for a while and my blood pressure rose significantly. I got down to 220 and felt great. Over the last few years, my weight has crept up to 260 and I want to knock it back down. My magic number is 240. Once I drop below 240, my blood pressure drops, I sleep better, I don't snore, I can tell a difference in my energy levels, stamina, knees, joints, and sex life improves.

I hate cardio though. I need to find something that can provide me cardio benefit that I can get into and enjoy.

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
So I just had my Thanksgiving early with my family today. So starting tomorrow I'll be kicking in the food journaling, eating healthier and walking during lunch. I want to start working out harder, but I haven't worked out in well over three years, so I'm far from being in shape. So I'm going to ramp up slowly so I don't risk injury or burn-out. So I'll begin with walking and work my way up to increased cardio exercise in a few weeks.

As far as nutrition and diet, I'm not one for "diets". "Paleo", "Adkins", you name it...they all price the same results - rapid weight loss and eventual gain back. I'm more about eating healthy food and staying balanced. The "4 Hour Body" is a great resource by Tim Ferris for nutritional advice. Also "Body For Life" by Bill Phillips is a great nutritional and exercise resource that presents a very basic, elemental structure for eating properly to fuel your body and balanced exercise (both weights and cardio).

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
How's everybody doing so far on prepping this weapon?

I will be completely honest... terrible. The college bowl season has absolutely killed my diet and exercise plan. And I'll be traveling the last half of the month so it will not improve. I am hoping in February that I will be able to get my course corrected.

strongtactics

Hunter
Mar 27, 2015
Augusta, Georgia
If anyone is looking for a fun and engaging version of cardio, I highly recommend boxing, jiu-jitsu, mma, kickboxing, and the like. Nothing against some of the traditional martial arts schools that typically are filled with/based on katas and point sparring, but for a good level of cardio, these others that have drills, sparring, rounds of body weight exercise, and so on are fun, challenging, great for cardio, and you learn something that could potentially help you on the street one day.

I personally hate distance running (for the purposes of this post, consider that anything over 1 mile), also do not enjoy treadmills, elliptical machines, and so forth. However, boxing, kickboxing, jiu-jitsu, and mma usually make me feel like I have worked my butt off in less time and I am not subjected to mind-numbing 1/2 hour, 1 hour or longer bouts of the same old thing (running on a treadmill, for example).

I also prefer the high intensity interval training (typically referred to as HIIT) to traditional cardio. These are short duration bursts of cardio that can be almost anything, but the key to success on these is the intensity level. For example, if you chose to do bodyweight squats for your HIIT exercise that day...say 5 rounds of 30 seconds, with 30 seconds rest between rounds. If you only get 15-20 reps per round, that most likely is not getting into the "high intensity" level that will have the true payoff. Now, if you have done ZERO exercise for over a year, then you may be the exception to what I just said. Either way, for HIIT to be true HIIT (and therefore effective), you have to get after it like your life depends on it.

I have a lot of fun things that I use for high intensity cardio including sledgehammer swings, tire flips, and heavy bag (boxing) work. Find what you like and use that for your training. If you try to make yourself enjoy something that you truly hate, you probably are lowering your chances for success before you even begin.

Everyone is at different levels and different ages, abilities, and of course, there are often old injuries. Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Cutting out sugar and going with high protein foods is a good start. Stay away from artificial sweeteners as they are not good for you either. No one can change overnight. Exercise of any amount will help. I have a physically demanding job so I get everything but cardio at work. Don't forget that age can be a factor as well.

Reactions: dougiemac

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
I am also a big advocate of listening to your body. If youre craving a Snickers or a Kit Kat, then eat one and move on. If you sit there and ponder on it all day, you'll end up eating more junk trying to satisfy that desire.

sam

Marksman
Trusted Trader
Apr 8, 2015
byron
Zip code
I gained weight this past winter.not sure y.nothing changed in my diet.stress and middle age spread? idk.but all be DAMN im going to be thin again by start of summer

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
I gained weight this past winter.not sure y.nothing changed in my diet.stress and middle age spread? idk.but all be DAMN im going to be thin again by start of summer

Best advice someone gave me... throw the damn scale away! I didnt throw it away, however I don't focus on the scale, I focus on how I feel, how strong I am and how I look. If NFL running backs went off of the scale and the government's BMI, they'd all be classified as clinically and morbidly obese! When in reality theyre no where close to it.

sam

Marksman
Trusted Trader
Apr 8, 2015
byron
Zip code
I have not stepped on scale in years! I just go by way clothes fit. When my fat clothes are tight. I know it's time. In my teens 20s and up till lately was always super tiny. Just tells me I need less food and more exercise!

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Nothing worse than having the metabolism slow down as we get older! I remember I did not ever think I would be over 120 lbs. I could eat all day every day and not gain a pound! In my late 20's and early 30's (especially after my vasectomy) I gradually put on more weight. Stress and a desk job helped out. I have done well in the past year and have dropped 14 lbs since November of last year. I basically just don't eat as much as I did. My wife is one of those people that if it is lunchtime or dinnertime then it is time to eat, whether hungry or not. I just chose not to eat.

The Ghost

Scout
Mar 30, 2015
Southeast Georgia
I've never been a "big guy". I topped out (hopefully), 4 years ago at 196. Not a healthy muscular 196. I'm 5'08" and am not framed for that weight. Between a compliment of a stress diet, real diet, and intense exercise I cut 28 lbs. I'm back up to a healthy and lean 175-180 depending on the week. The gym and healthy living became a lifestyle 4 years ago. I'm not a crossfit freak, I just thoroughly enjoy taking care of my body. Dougie's original post couldn't be more spot on. Great topic!

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
Best advice someone gave me... throw the damn scale away! I didnt throw it away, however I don't focus on the scale, I focus on how I feel, how strong I am and how I look. If NFL running backs went off of the scale and the government's BMI, they'd all be classified as clinically and morbidly obese! When in reality theyre no where close to it.
Eh, it's still good to measure. Pearson's law- "That which is measured improves. That which is measured and reported improves exponentially.

sam

Marksman
Trusted Trader
Apr 8, 2015
byron
Zip code
scales suck ass
I go by if my FAT clothes are to tight time to put down the chocolate
and then when I can squeeze back into skinny clothes HAPPY HAPY

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Every winter I put on 8-10 pounds and struggle on long runs a bit in the spring. It always comes off, but I hate how it slows me down until it does.

I do disagree that you can just make small changes and progress from there. For some people this approach might work, but it leaves to much room for fudging. If your're ready to get in shape and feel great, go all in. Cut out the shit that you know is bad. Exercise more and sleep more. You don't need supplements and pills. Everything a human needs to be optimally healthy is available in it's purest form in good food.

Also, I totally agree. The body in the most often overlooked piece of "equipment", and it's the most important.

Being in great shape feels better than any crap food tastes.

Last edited:

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
scales suck ass
I go by if my FAT clothes are to tight time to put down the chocolate
and then when I can squeeze back into skinny clothes HAPPY HAPY
That's still not a very good indication of health. My sister in law subsists on a steady diet of popcorn and peanut M&M's. She's 5'7" and 115 pounds, but in poor health. Eat well, exercise regularly and get plenty of sleep. Done.

sam

Marksman
Trusted Trader
Apr 8, 2015
byron
Zip code
I do eat healthy,except for my LOVE of chocolate.which day 3 no sweets
my jeans are tight,like ready bust out so I know I put on weight
I do exercise daily,well my form of exercise is (live 16 acres w 3/4mile long driveway)
I walk the 16 acres 2xs a day(savin gas in 4 wheeler) and walking driveway 10x every AM and evening
ive got about 10-13lbs to loose