Mossberg 590 Shockwave

American Revival Apparel Company

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I should have enough to buy a 590 Shockwave after my next paycheck. I shot the one @Righter13 has and I liked it.

Those that have them, how do you like them? Anything I should be concerned over or any reasons I should buy the Remington Tac-14 instead?

Anyone that has one they are wanting to sell?

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Remington anything is better than Mossberg anything, right?
Not when it comes to pump shotguns in my opinion. The 870 variant is fine, but I've always liked the slicker action and better finish on the cheapo Mossbergs. It's a coin flip, but you can rust an 870 simply by looking at it too hard.

Reactions: Leshaire

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Not when it comes to pump shotguns in my opinion. The 870 variant is fine, but I've always liked the slicker action and better finish on the cheapo Mossbergs. It's a coin flip, but you can rust an 870 simply by looking at it too hard.
Lmao. This is the kind of ridiculousness I needed right now. Rust if you look at it too hard! Oh man, anyways, I had a Mossberg 12 gauge and didn't hate it.But I always thought of them as bottom of the wildly accepted name brand barrel.

Reactions: Laufen

cbh13

Millennial Supreme
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2016
Auburn
Zip code
i kept looking at them too, then Remington had this imagine with new models of the 870 and i think im sold on the one with the brace

screenshot_20180116-182203-png.1468060

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
In my shotgun courses the #1 shotgun for failures and malfunctions is the Mossberg 500. The vast majority of issues I diagnose with the Remington 870 are user error.

I see no more problems with the 590/590A1 than I see with the Remington 870, but I see far less 590’s/590A1’s. I trust the 590/590A1, but not the 500.

Reactions: FatAlbert

Knessler

Mandalorian Operator
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 1, 2016
Macon, GA
Zip code
In my shotgun courses the #1 shotgun for failures and malfunctions is the Mossberg 500. The vast majority of issues I diagnose with the Remington 870 are user error.

I see no more problems with the 590/590A1 than I see with the Remington 870, but I see far less 590’s/590A1’s. I trust the 590/590A1, but not the 500.
Remington has the worst finish out of an gun maker out there. I carried my Remington 1911 for one day and it rusted like a motherfucker, but my glock is good for months without cleaning. The internals arent bad, and it shoots great, but the "look at it too hard" is spot on. I would buy stainless if I bought remington.

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
Remington has the worst finish out of an gun maker out there. I carried my Remington 1911 for one day and it rusted like a motherfucker, but my glock is good for months without cleaning. The internals arent bad, and it shoots great, but the "look at it too hard" is spot on. I would buy stainless if I bought remington.

Are we still talking about the 870? If so, it’s not available in stainless steel. The Marine Magnum is electroless nickel plated, inside and out.

I’ve got 3 870’s at my house and none have rusted on me. 2 started life as Police Wingmasters that came from NC State Corrections and arrived quite worn and beat up, but not rusty. Both have since been to Wilson Combat and back and been SBS’ed. One was re-parked by them and I had the other Cerakoted.

The 3rd is an older model Express model, back when they came with the ugly, plain wood with pressed “checkering”. No rust on her.

I don’t see any more rust on 870’s in the hands of my students than I see on other makes and models. Most non-Remington shotguns have aluminum receivers, so will show less rust overall.

All 870’s except the Police and Wingmaster models have a matte finish formed by bead-blasting then bluing. Not the most durable of finishes. Police models are parkerized and Wingmasters are polished and blued. I do not believe that Police Wingmasters have been produced in a long while, but it’s a bit irrelevant as the only differences between the two are the furniture, finish, and markings.

Knessler

Mandalorian Operator
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 1, 2016
Macon, GA
Zip code
Are we still talking about the 870? If so, it’s not available in stainless steel. The Marine Magnum is electroless nickel plated, inside and out.

I’ve got 3 870’s at my house and none have rusted on me. 2 started life as Police Wingmasters that came from NC State Corrections and arrived quite worn and beat up, but not rusty. Both have since been to Wilson Combat and back and been SBS’ed. One was re-parked by them and I had the other Cerakoted.

The 3rd is an older model Express model, back when they came with the ugly, plain wood with pressed “checkering”. No rust on her.

I don’t see any more rust on 870’s in the hands of my students than I see on other makes and models. Most non-Remington shotguns have aluminum receivers, so will show less rust overall.

All 870’s except the Police and Wingmaster models have a matte finish formed by bead-blasting then bluing. Not the most durable of finishes. Police models are parkerized and Wingmasters are polished and blued. I do not believe that Police Wingmasters have been produced in a long while, but it’s a bit irrelevant as the only differences between the two are the furniture, finish, and markings.
Maybe the shotguns have a better finish. I was just really aggravated with how much that 1911 rusted in one day of carry...it was an obnoxious amount of rust for 1 day in a holster. I have not had issues with it rusting on like a range trip, but my whole slide was mostly brown after one day of carry, which is just rough.

Reactions: cmshoot

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
Maybe the shotguns have a better finish. I was just really aggravated with how much that 1911 rusted in one day of carry...it was an obnoxious amount of rust for 1 day in a holster. I have not had issues with it rusting on like a range trip, but my whole slide was mostly brown after one day of carry, which is just rough.

Probably the same finish.......bead-blasted and blued. Doesn’t take much to rust. Before I had all the custom work done to it, my STI Ranger II had a similar finish. The first day I wore it all day was during a Basic Precision Rifle Course I was teaching during the summer. The leather holster wore the finish off the thumb safety and it was rusted.

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
New 870's are hit or miss. Older 870's are just fine. Recently took a shotgun class where the only gun that had an issue was a brand new 870 tactical. It wouldn't extract certain bird shot. The mavericks, 590's and 1301s in class all ran fine.

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
For a self-defense Remington, I only recommend the Police and Wingmaster models. If you get a Tactical or Express, there are numerous parts I recommend to have upgraded.

You can hunt around and find police trade-in 870’s for $175-$250. That’s the ticket.