More new Rugers...

GA Firing Line

madHatter

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Fuckville
if they make the ruger scout for pmags... i am about to lose me shit and go further in debt for another one of those. i miss that scout.

Reactions: Rwjeter

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
if they make the ruger scout for pmags... i am about to lose me shit and go further in debt for another one of those. i miss that scout.

Doable, but would require quite a bit of re-engineering. The AICS mags are designed to be used in a bolt action and, while double stack, feed top-dead center like a single stack. Magpul AR15/AR10 PMags are made to be used in a semi-auto, are double stack, and feed from alternating sides. It also means that the bolt does not run nearly as smooth from the PMags as it would from the AICS mags.

Anyways, it is possible as Mossberg has already done. I had a Mossberg MVP Patrol 7.62 that fed from AR10 PMags. It wasn’t as smooth as rifles that feed from AICS mags, but it fed reliably.

Last edited:
Reactions: scand

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Doable, but would require quite a bit of re-engineering. The AICS mags are designed to be used in a bolt action and, while double stack, feed top-dead center like a single stack. PMags are made to be used in a semi-auto, are double stack, and feed from alternating sides. It also means that the bolt does not run nearly as smooth from the PMags as it would from the AICS mags.

Anyways, it is possible as Mossberg has already done. I had a Mossberg MVP Patrol 7.62 that fed from PMags. It wasn’t as smooth as rifles that feed from AICS mags, but it fed reliably.
Isn’t Magpul making more affordable AICS mags? And isn’t the Ruger Scout is a proprietary mag? Not an AICS?

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Yep, Magpul is making polymer AICS-pattern mags. Nope, the Ruger Scout takes AICS-pattern mags.
Well that makes a lot more sense. I thought they were stupid running proprietary mags instead of a proven pattern already established. Guess I was stupid for not investigating. Time to look at the Scout again!

Reactions: cmshoot

madHatter

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Fuckville
Well that makes a lot more sense. I thought they were stupid running proprietary mags instead of a proven pattern already established. Guess I was stupid for not investigating. Time to look at the Scout again!

ruger and their proprietary mags... made me swear them off (almost) i couldn't justify 50 for a 5 round mag for the scout. hell... i couldn't justify the 40 for the polymer one.

just ridiculous

Reactions: Rwjeter

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
ruger and their proprietary mags... made me swear them off (almost) i couldn't justify 50 for a 5 round mag for the scout. hell... i couldn't justify the 40 for the polymer one.

just ridiculous

The Scout doesn’t take proprietary magazines, it uses the AICS pattern mags.

ReservoirDawg10

Sniper
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code
AICS pattern mags are great. Smooth loading and feeding, and for those who load their own ammo, they have more internal length than a pmag and can load to a much longer OAL for more powder or heavier rounds. They are expensive though. The Magpul ones aren't bad, but the AI, accurate mag,etc can add up.