Mixed round type loading

Faktory 47

Gwgw60

Hunter
Aug 5, 2012
Northern Virginia USA
I was thinking about something the other day I hadn't seen discussed. I'm thinking through the potential value of mixing SD hollow points with FMJ rounds as a carry load. With multiple shots, maybe it would provide a combination of effects on an attacker with a combination of round expansion damage with penetration potential. There are several mixes I can think of; two SD HP-1 FMJ. Or maybe in winter where heavy clothing is expected; 2 FMJ to 1 SD HP. Or even an alternating SD HP- FMJ mix.

What are your thoughts on this?

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
I agree 100% with Ray.

Using full metal jacket (FMJ) rounds, especially the round-nosed versions, for self-defense is dangerous to people who could be beyond the target. FMJ rounds are much more likely to completely penetrate a live target than expanding rounds.

The great majority of FMJ ammunition that's available is cheap "target only" ammunition. My experience is that the velocity of most FMJ ammo (particularly that which is sold as cheap target ammo) is not very uniform and sometimes even causes a jam.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
I am also a hollow point user (Critical Defense) but I know that the one place where I have considered FMJ is in the LCP because penetration can be less than ideal on the .380 ammo.

R

rayzer007

bigdogdaddy said:
I am also a hollow point user (Critical Defense) but I know that the one place where I have considered FMJ is in the LCP because penetration can be less than ideal on the .380 ammo.

I dunno BDD, Coop's .380 Critical Defense test shots penetrated 2 through metal plates! :eek:
And Skip's quality control potential issues with FMJ are V.I.P.'s.
Ray

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
rayzer007 said:
I'm not sure what ya meant by that, Ray.

Anyhoo, I've measured the velocity of a number of different commercial "target only" and "self defense" loads as well as my own loads. I have found that the measured velocities of cheaper "target only" loads such as Winchester "White Box" (WWB) vary all over the place as compared to better quality commercial ammo (typically sold as "self defense" ammo) and my hand loads. In fact, the only jam I've experienced with my LCP (a failure to eject) was with an obviously under-loaded WWB round.

R

rayzer007

SkipD said:
rayzer007 said:
I'm not sure what ya meant by that, Ray.

Sorry for not being clearer Skip. I was struggling with how to word my response. I meant it as a compliment to your insight regarding the problems of cheaper target ammo vs. SD cartridges.
It sounded like Mas Ayoob was mainly concerned with the over-penetration danger to bystanders, and the potential issue of felt recoil difference affecting quick, accurate follow-up shots when mixing FMJ/SD rounds.

I thought you made "Very Important Points" (V.I.P.s) I hadn't even considered when you addressed the lesser quality control of target rounds (lower velocity possible) that might lead to a jam.
I apologize for the confusion! I hope I didn't muddy things even more! Many times people don't know what the hell I'm talking about (my wife especially) - my wordiness is very frustrating to me! :-[

Ray

D

Denny4kids

Mixing rounds makes no sense. I think we should worry more about hitting the target. I googled police hit ratio and found out about a couple studies. One was a 28% hit ratio and the other was 17%. 40% of these were from zero to six feet to the target. That's some bad shooting! So if we just stand at a range and relax and shoot at a target we will shoot as good as cops and one out of five shots from a revolver may hit the target in a combat situation. I believe all the rounds in our weapon should be good ones! Den

Verticoli

Personal philosophy? Clothing optional.
Jun 10, 2012
Fl's west coast
Hardball for me. Feeds and runs best. My feelings are that in SD situations you do what you have to. Face down, getting kicked by more than one BG you may have to squeeze one off over your shoulder while on your belly. Who knows?

It's one thing to run a few mags at the range, standing, 2 hand grip, etc, perfect conditions, and think you've found a good load. The street? Who knows.

BeyondTheBox

Woodsman
Jan 7, 2013
The Great NorthWest
In something less than 380, sure, but, over penetration, as has been pointed out, could become problematic with larger calibers. I alternate rounds with 25 in my Titan. Half safety slugs half fmj. As long as you can prove that it all cycles reliably in your firearm it should be fine. I hope to do this with my new Jetfire as well!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2