Mini 14 scope

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
I recently bought a Ruger Mini 14 (NRA version) rifle. This is a very short rifle. I love this gun but I can only shoot it accurately, or maybe preciselyis a better word, out to about 60 yards because after that my iron sights pretty much cover the center ring of the target. So......I am considering a scope for it. In fact I already bought a Simmons 8 pt. scope for it but I am having second thoughts about it. I will primarily be shooting this gun 100 yards or less, with an occasional shot out to 200 but that would be rare. Here are my questions for you optics experts, which I am not. I would like to stay around $100 or less because I have spent way too much money already this year!

· I don’t really want a super long scope on it because I think it will look silly since it is so short. Is there any reason a person can’t put a muzzleloader/shotgun scope on a rifle?

· What scope or optic would you recommend based on the ranges I plan to shoot it?

· If you recommend something other than a scope,please tell me what the advantage is because I just don’t know much about the newer style optics.

Thanks a lot. I look forward to your suggestions and answers.

briant

Hunter
Jun 9, 2012
Orient, OH
Check out the Weaver Kaspa. It might not be as short as you want (about 12") and it is made in china, but you can get 2-7 or 3-9 within your budget and you can get 4-12 for about $125. I think eye relief and glass clarity are very good for a budget priced scope...and they hold zero very well.

Sarge

Woodsman
Jun 15, 2012
Florida
You can get a decent 3x9x40 Bushnell or Simmons scope in that price range. A shotgun scope will also work well too. "Tweener" type scopes are approximately 2x7x32. IMO, budget-priced scopes work great when the light is good. The more expensive scopes really shine in low light though.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
Sarge, or anyone else, any thoughts on using the higher rise scope rings so you can still use iron sights? Most of my scoped guns are bolt action and don't even have sights so I have never used these. I like the idea of it though.

Sarge

Woodsman
Jun 15, 2012
Florida
bigdogdaddy said:
Sarge, or anyone else, any thoughts on using the higher rise scope rings so you can still use iron sights? Most of my scoped guns are bolt action and don't even have sights so I have never used these. I like the idea of it though.

You can do it Dog, but you won't get a good cheek-weld (or possibly any cheek-weld) when you look through/use the scope with high rise scope rings. Maybe you can get some sort of quick release mount and use low rings...but you might have to re-zero the scope every time you put it back on (but it would probably be close).

Good luck on whatever you do!