Faktory 47

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
I'm about to start on my ARctic 15 (yes snow camo in GA) build and want some opinions on the gas system. I will ne running a A2 front sight with either a 14.5 pinned and welded or a 16" barrel. I know the mid length will offer a longer sight radius and more real estate on the rails/further more stable hand placement. Are there any benefits to the carbine length? If I go with the mid length it will be the first one I've ever dealt with.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
My rifle is a mid length 14.5 and it has ran perfect and I couldn't be happier with it. I shotbit side by side with a. Buddies carbine length and while neither shot bad or had any malfunctions my midlegth was more pleasant to shoot. There are obviously other factors that may have effected that but in my research before buying my upper I couldn't find any reason to go carbine over mid length

Rwjeter

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
My rifle is a mid length 14.5 and it has ran perfect and I couldn't be happier with it. I shotbit side by side with a. Buddies carbine length and while neither shot bad or had any malfunctions my midlegth was more pleasant to shoot. There are obviously other factors that may have effected that but in my research before buying my upper I couldn't find any reason to go carbine over mid length
That's kind of what I found in mine as well. But I really was wanting to hear personal experiences. I've owned and shoot plenty of carbines. But never a mid. And that's good to hear from you in particular because I'm probably gonna go with either a BCM or Faxxon barrel.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
That's kind of what I found in mine as well. But I really was wanting to hear personal experiences. I've owned and shoot plenty of carbines. But never a mid. And that's good to hear from you in particular because I'm probably gonna go with either a BCM or Faxxon barrel.
My upper is all BCM. Sometime in January if you want to meet up you can shoot it.

Rwjeter

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
My upper is all BCM. Sometime in January if you want to meet up you can shoot it.
I might take you up on that. Thanks man. You're alright. Even if you do struggle spelling your name. :boink:

Rwjeter

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Haha. I need to go shoot with the new reddot anyway. Don't you shoot at advanced bullets?
Never have, but it's just down the road from me. I buy some of my reloading stuff there.

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
The length of the gas system is just one factor in the recoil equation (gas port size on the barrel, buffer weight, ammo used, etc.) but I usually prefer a mid length setup versus carbine for 14.5"+ barrels.

Since you talked about sight radius and gas systems, I assume you're going with a FSB setup vs. a rail over a low profile gas block.

Rwjeter

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
The length of the gas system is just one factor in the recoil equation (gas port size on the barrel, buffer weight, ammo used, etc.) but I usually prefer a mid length setup versus carbine for 14.5"+ barrels.

Since you talked about sight radius and gas systems, I assume you're going with a FSB setup vs. a rail over a low profile gas block.
Correct. A2 front sight with a flatop upper and flip up rear.

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
i would only get the carbine length if you're trying to "clone" a certain look or if the barrel in that gas length is significantly cheaper.

on some of my builds i prefer the skinny CAR hand guards versus the fatter M4 set. these usually are difficult if not impossible to find in midlength. that's kind of nitpick, though.

we need some pictures of your setup once progress is made!

Reactions: Rwjeter

Rwjeter

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
i would only get the carbine length if you're trying to "clone" a certain look or if the barrel in that gas length is significantly cheaper.

on some of my builds i prefer the skinny CAR hand guards versus the fatter M4 set. these usually are difficult if not impossible to find in midlength. that's kind of nitpick, though.

we need some pictures of your setup once progress is made!
You know I can't resist showing off my build. It might be a while before I have anything that looks like more than a pile of Parts though. But as soon as I have something that's starting to look like a rifle I will definitely the posting pics.

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
I saw where you posted that, and it is a good deal. But, with another baby on the way I have to do it like Johnny Cash. One piece at a time! Besides, it's always more fun when you can say you built it yourself. LOL

We have another baby on the way as well... Should be here in about 2 months.

DogueDePuppy.jpg

Reactions: Rwjeter

chance

Tracker
Jul 15, 2015
Ga
Zip code
I prefer to go with a longer gas system when available. mid for 14.5 -18, and rifle for 18+

223/556 has a very "peaky" pressure when fired. Basically, there is a shit ton of pressure at first, then falls off pretty quick. The longer gas systems help immensely at reducing bcg velocity, gas in your face, noise, etc.