Mental illness and the right to bear arms

GA Firing Line

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
-We don't need to regulate the guns, we need to keep the guns or of the hands of crazy people-

Some form of this statement has almost become a mantra on the pro-gun side. We see all these people on Prozac or some other antidepressant, people who those closest to them thought something was off, and want the media and politicians to focus on that, but it's a trap.

There is no way to restrict the 2a rights of those with mental issues without enormous consequences.

Doctors are already required to report any threats made by their patients, how much farther do we want it to go? Should doctors be required to report those seeking treatment for depression? Those that are prescribed certain medications? For every nut prescribed Prozac that kills someone, there are thousands that are innocent of any wrongdoing. What about returning soldiers that seem treatment for PTSD? How long before their rights are restricted. Someone that was prescribed Ritalin as a child, goes to purchase his first handgun at 21, do you want him denied because of his medical history?

Then NRA and others are making a huge mistake by trying to turn the focus to mental health issues. Any scheme that goes further than people that were involuntarily committed because of violence, will hurt thousands of innocents.

There are only two arguments we need for those who would restrict the right to bear arms
1. No
2. Fuck you

Do not fall for the trap that's being set, because sooner or later the left will see how far the issue of mental health can be pushed. At the very least we end up in a world where medical privacy no longer exists, and people that need it are afraid to seek treatment.

Reactions: madHatter and White

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
1. You have a huge misunderstanding of mental illness
2. You have no understanding on reporting requirements/ privacy laws

It is an insanely complex issue, but some small steps could be taken to help with background checks, like requiring all states to report institutionalization to NICS. Currently, some states don't for reasons related to privacy, which is extremely important in mental health.

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
1. You have a huge misunderstanding of mental illness
2. You have no understanding on reporting requirements/ privacy laws

It is an insanely complex issue, but some small steps could be taken to help with background checks, like requiring all states to report institutionalization to NICS. Currently, some states don't for reasons related to privacy, which is extremely important in mental health.

Would you support denying a person who voluntarily committed themselves at any point in their life?

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
Would you support denying a person who voluntarily committed themselves at any point in their life?
No, nor would I think a lifetime restriction on an involuntary institutionalized person would be appropriate. I do think voluntary or involuntary institutionalization should result in a NICS denial until a medical professional "clears" you or a determined amount of time has passed without an additional institutionalization.

I don't think mentally illness should permanently "taint" someone.

Further, the mentally ill are no more likely to be violent than someone who is not suffering from mental illness. There are numerous scholarly sources for this, here's a quick snapshot.

Further criminalizing mental illness and mental health treatment will only serve to drive more people away from treatment that is terribly stigmatized.

People go to doctors for all sorts off illness, people send flowers to you when your sick in the hospital, but people think they have to handle mental issues on their own and you don't get "get well" cards when you go to the mental hospital. It's a sad state of affairs, because even normal folks could really enjoy life more if they tried therapy.

Reactions: Laufen

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
No, nor would I think a lifetime restriction on an involuntary institutionalized person would be appropriate. I do think voluntary or involuntary institutionalization should result in a NICS denial until a medical professional "clears" you or a determined amount of time has passed without an additional institutionalization.

Further, the mentally ill are no more likely to be violent than someone who is not suffering from mental illness. There are numerous scholarly sources for this, here's a quick snapshot.

Further criminalizing mental illness and mental health treatment will only serve to drive more people away from treatment that is terribly stigmatized.

People go to doctors for all sorts off illness, people send flowers to you when your sick in the hospital, but people think they have to handle mental issues on their own and you don't get "get well" cards when you go to the mental hospital. It's a sad state of affairs, because even normal folks could really enjoy life more if they tried therapy.

I'm not wanting to use "mental illness" to restrict anyone. I'm saying that allowing mental illness to be used to deny 2a rights will affect thousands of people who would never be a threat to anyone for every one that might.

Reactions: Sheps

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
I'm not wanting to use "mental illness" to restrict anyone. I'm saying that allowing mental illness to be used to deny 2a rights will affect thousands of people who would never be a threat to anyone for every one that might.
well yea, but i cant get angry on the internet about that.

Dixietoolz

Woodsman
Jul 27, 2015
Warner Robins
The people that wish to take away our gun rights will do so at any cost and the media is feeding right into it. People need to wake up before these rights are taken away. The next thing you know people will be put on a restricted list because they went to marriage counseling.

Reactions: Mac11FA and White

Kobayashi

Frontiersman
Mar 25, 2015
Ola

Mental illness takes many forms. For some people it means a tendency toward violence. For others it can limit their ability to distinguish between right and wrong. Sometimes both. Limiting people on that basis is no more criminalizing than limiting a blind person's ability to get a drivers license.

Last edited:

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
The mental illness issue is flawed on so many levels. The main thing everyone forgets is that doctor/patient confidentiality offers a huge block to this. Also, anyone remember the "waiting period" to purchase a firearm. What does waiting 7 days for a pistol do if you can walk out right then with a long gun. It did not stop people from committing violent acts one way or another. All criminals are sociopaths which in itself is a mental illness. Criminals, or at least those convicted of a felony, are denied many rights. Trying to preclude people from certain rights PRIOR to them doing something to have those rights taken a way will not prevent something tragic from happening. I would think terrorists or violent criminals would be more the type of people to go after. The anti-gun crowd would love to jump on the mental defect bandwagon as according to NAMI about 1 in 17 people in the US live with a serious mental illness and 1 in 4 experiences mental illness in a year!

rOmiLaYu

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 25, 2015
Earth
Zip code

Heh heh. You said "taint."

Reactions: Mac11FA

Jcountry

Frontiersman
Mar 30, 2015
Georgia
One of the things that bothers me the most is the whole "domestic violence restraining order" crap. You have one of those filed against you, and you can lose your 2A rights for life.

And keep in mind that a restraining order requires absolutely no proof or anything. It is often filed in divorces, and people subject to the restraining order are often never even charged (much less convicted) of anything.

There is simply no such thing as justice.

As far a mental illness, it is a tricky subject. Psychiatry is a pseudo science at best. Many "drs" who practice in this field are just as insane as their patients.

Reactions: Mac11FA