medical training class ideas

American Revival Apparel Company

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
So I have brought this up before and I am ready to start going forward with it. I have spoken with Truprep to use their classroom. I am wanting to start off with a class for general first aid with the addition of slightly more advanced trauma care (treating gun shot wounds or stab wounds primarily). I plan on mainly using what is available at truprep so that anyone interested can purchase any supplies they need while there.
What I am looking for now is if there are any specific topics or ideas you all would like to see in a class like this as well as how much interest there would be.

The first class would be for just SET members and would be free of course since the first one would be a trial run to get constructive criticism.

So, what do yall want to learn in a class like this and who would be interested in coming to a class at truprep?

Reactions: chance

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
I think the most important things would be massive blood loss, splints and clearing an airway. Maybe how to react to someone with an allergy attack.

Reactions: AtlMedic and 1776

World Class Dick Wrangler
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Sep 5, 2015
Da SAV
Zip code
I think the most important things would be massive blood loss, splints and clearing an airway. Maybe how to react to someone with an allergy attack.
To build on this:
How to manage hemorrhaging both with and without a clotting agent.

World Class Dick Wrangler
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Sep 5, 2015
Da SAV
Zip code
To build on this:

Quick clot or combat gauze. Which is better for what applications.
Don't forget celox.

Proper tourniquet usage/tension/placement. Temporary manual Bloodgood impingement (knee on artery)
Izzy bandage techniques (I've seen some ridiculous shit done with an izzy)
Superficial lacerations of the face/head

Reactions: AtlMedic

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Interested. Maybe how to assess/treat shock until help arrives. Heat exhaustion (I lost my best friend to this). Dehydration might be a good topic.

Rwjeter

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Maybe hypothermia/frostbite in case of snowmageddon 2017.

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
Standard abcde stuff.

People that don't know how to clear an airway or perform cpr do not need to learn about treating gunshot wounds. Treating massive blood loss is great but learning more pedestrian skills is much more important and more likely to be put to use.

Reactions: Jake

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Standard abcde stuff.

People that don't know how to clear an airway or perform cpr do not need to learn about treating gunshot wounds. Treating massive blood loss is great but learning more pedestrian skills is much more important and more likely to be put to use.
I agree, and those classes are plentiful. Classes that teach basic trauma care are less so. I am trying to do something that has more trauma care then basic first aid but isn't a full TCCC type class that is far beyond what the average person needs.

Your right that most people probably won't need to treat a gun shot wound, but since many of us shoot and carry regularly it isn't a bad skill to have.

Reactions: jwtug and Rwjeter

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
Standard abcde stuff.

I agree. Something like your thread of what to do before EMS Arrives would be great.

For those of you who haven't seen that thread...
http://www.southeasttraders.com/threads/what-to-do-before-ems-arrives.7916/

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
I agree, and those classes are plentiful. Classes that teach basic trauma care are less so. I am trying to do something that has more trauma care then basic first aid but isn't a full TCCC type class that is far beyond what the average person needs.

Your right that most people probably won't need to treat a gun shot wound, but since many of us shoot and carry regularly it isn't a bad skill to have.

Then I think there should be a prereg for the class. Market it as an advanced trauma care class for students that have been through Red Cross certification or something similar.

Rwjeter

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
I don't know that I would go so far as making it a prereq, but maybe just let everyone know it would be good to have basic understanding. But if you don't, I'm sure most of it will be figured out fairly easily during the course. A lot of it is common sense when talking basic first aid.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Then I think there should be a prereg for the class. Market it as an advanced trauma care class for students that have been through Red Cross certification or something similar.

That may be down the road. This is a trial run to see if further classes are something I want to do and to get suggestions on what people like and don't like. If I do there would be a more advanced class. Tourniquets and Israeli bandages are not advanced skills like needle decompressions or long term stabilization. This is for the average person who may have to control bleeding for a little while till an ambulance arrives.

Reactions: freedom and Rwjeter

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
So far the things I think I will cover are:

allergic reactions
hypo/hyperthermia
treating bone fractures, sprains, etc...
common misconceptions about how to fix things
what to do prior to EMS arrival for more significant things
bleeding control (tourniqutes, isreli bandages, basics of clotting agents)
differences between types of medical kits (home, car, IFAK, etc.....)

If this class goes well and @Patryn is ok with it I would like to eventually have a more advanced trauma care class, wilderness oriented first aid, a family oriented class with less on the gun shot stuff, and maybe some more. I even talked with him about assembling IFAKs and having a class where you learn how to use what in them and then you keep the kit.

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA
So far the things I think I will cover are:

allergic reactions
hypo/hyperthermia
treating bone fractures, sprains, etc...
common misconceptions about how to fix things
what to do prior to EMS arrival for more significant things
bleeding control (tourniqutes, isreli bandages, basics of clotting agents)
differences between types of medical kits (home, car, IFAK, etc.....)

If this class goes well and @Patryn is ok with it I would like to eventually have a more advanced trauma care class, wilderness oriented first aid, a family oriented class with less on the gun shot stuff, and maybe some more. I even talked with him about assembling IFAKs and having a class where you learn how to use what in them and then you keep the kit.

My name is Patryn and I approve this message.