Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
There is a show called Under the Dome and it is interesting how they touch upon the very same issues. Running short of medicine, food, water etc. Long term planning for medical issues is a tough hurdle to jump. That is going to be one of the levelizing factors for a SHTF situation as there are many people whom cannot survive without the miracles of modern medicine. I would be studying up on non-traditional medicine to deal with health issues that are currently being taken care of by man-made. Stock piling is another. Unfortunately, shelf life will hinder stock piling to a certain degree.

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
@Mac11FA very good point. Let's just say that 40% of the US is dependent on modern medicine. What percent of the 40% will be able survive with out said medicine. Now granted a good number of that percent are probably prescribed something that helps with anxiety, or to keep them from being bat shit crazy (I know my fair share). They will probably be able to live with out that prescription or maybe their can't live with out it.

I just feel that the world has come so dependent on medicine (mainly people that don't really need it) it is going to be a major turn in how a shtf event plays out. See I could live with it the medicine that I take for my gout, I would be immobilized for a week or so, but I would live. But like was stated earlier type 1 diabetes patients are going to be in a world of hurt with out that medicine.

I just hope I never have to see our deal with a major collapse. But if I do it is going to be very interesting.

Reactions: Mac11FA

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
@Mac11FA very good point. Let's just say that 40% of the US is dependent on modern medicine. What percent of the 40% will be able survive with out said medicine. Now granted a good number of that percent are probably prescribed something that helps with anxiety, or to keep them from being bat shit crazy (I know my fair share). They will probably be able to live with out that prescription or maybe their can't live with out it.

I just feel that the world has come so dependent on medicine (mainly people that don't really need it) it is going to be a major turn in how a shtf event plays out. See I could live with it the medicine that I take for my gout, I would be immobilized for a week or so, but I would live. But like was stated earlier type 1 diabetes patients are going to be in a world of hurt with out that medicine.

I just hope I never have to see our deal with a major collapse. But if I do it is going to be very interesting.
I have high blood pressure which is hereditary and could be very difficult to live with if I did not take medicine. I think that it is made worse by the stress of daily life. I also think that in an SHTF situation, I think I could survive with alternate remedies as I feel that I would be much less stressed than I am now. There are several alternative methods for dealing with gout as well which may help you to cope with the gout issues you cope with. Unfortunately, most of us have little time to deal with these forms of treatment because we need immediate relief in order to be able to perform day to day.

If you look back before the advancement of modern medicine, people were able to live from day to day with many of the diseases we have now. It took a little more but the daily pace was also much slower. I agree, I would live, albeit at a much slower pace.

Reactions: Cudruln

Waterguy

Woodsman
Trusted Trader
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
North Georgia
Zip code
How do yall plan accordingly for any medical conditions that yall currently have?

I have aquired a horrible one, gout. Got it from the blood thinners I had to take a couple of years back. I had a blood clot in the back of my heart that almost got the best of me. But one of the side affects from the blood thinners was gout. So now on very random occasions I will have a flare up. So far it has always been my right wrist. But it will absolutely immobilize me for days at a time if I don't catch it quick enough.

So what does everybody think would be a good idea as far as pre planning for something like that. Obviously the medicine would be the best bet, but it does not have a great shelf life (or so says the bottle).

I am sure you know that gout is caused by uric acid crystals accumulating in the joint. Very painful! Avoid foods that cause uric acid such as protiens, carbs, especially HFCS. Also drink lots of water! Your kidneys are what removes the uric acid. Have you had kidney stones? More often than not people with gout have kidney stones too. They are caused by the same issue to many purine rich foods that produce uric acid as a by product of metabolism.

Jul 14, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
I have high blood pressure which is hereditary and could be very difficult to live with if I did not take medicine. I think that it is made worse by the stress of daily life. I also think that in an SHTF situation, I think I could survive with alternate remedies as I feel that I would be much less stressed than I am now. There are several alternative methods for dealing with gout as well which may help you to cope with the gout issues you cope with. Unfortunately, most of us have little time to deal with these forms of treatment because we need immediate relief in order to be able to perform day to day.

If you look back before the advancement of modern medicine, people were able to live from day to day with many of the diseases we have now. It took a little more but the daily pace was also much slower. I agree, I would live, albeit at a much slower pace.
Why do you think you will be less stressed when SHTF?

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Why do you think you will be less stressed when SHTF?
I feel that my stress level would be less due to the fact that basic survival instincts would kick in and I would not have the stresses of current daily life worrying about job, bills, etc. weighing me down. Being in survival mode would allow me to do the things I want to do rather than things I have to do. I would be happy in primative survival mode living off the land and defending my territory way more than living in the rat race I currently subsist in now. I would feel better fighting for my survival rather worrying about a job and paying bills keeping the lights and water on.

Strider12

Sniper
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
I feel that my stress level would be less due to the fact that basic survival instincts would kick in and I would not have the stresses of current daily life worrying about job, bills, etc. weighing me down. Being in survival mode would allow me to do the things I want to do rather than things I have to do. I would be happy in primative survival mode living off the land and defending my territory way more than living in the rat race I currently subsist in now. I would feel better fighting for my survival rather worrying about a job and paying bills keeping the lights and water on.
I agree 1000%

Dinky Dau

Over Sexed Sr. Citizen
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 12, 2015
Zip code

Now you know why I live on my Mountain.

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Thank your, sir! Sometimes I feel like I was born 200 years too late, of course I don't miss all the modern weapons. I have a 120 acre site to bug out to and there is a garden, plenty of game and a strong running creek with fish 2.5 hours away.