Med Kits & First Aid Packs

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
Their kits look pretty good- I've put together mine from parts mostly... GI surplus pouches of various sizes and bandages, butterfly closures, non-stick pads, antiseptics of various types, rolled gauze/rolled self adhesive ace bandage-like material... Generally, the stuff I feel proficient using. I'd love to say I could use sutures and naso-pharyngeal (or how ever the hell you spell it) airways, but I have no idea.

If I can't tape it closed, patch it to keep it clean, and/or stop bleeding via pressure point, then I'm afraid the person I'm with picked the wrong hiking buddy. That, or I'm the one that's screwed.

I've kind of come to the conclusion that I can do basic first aid. However, if someone else (or me, for that matter) has a sucking chest wound, GSW to the chest/abdomen, or has a really severe cut/gash/going to lose an arm... sorry, I'm not going to be able to save you and I'm not carrying 5 pounds of stuff that would prolong your suffering.

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
I bought an old style combat lifesaver bag from an army surplus store and stocked it from stuff at Truprep and Walmart.

Reactions: Red Dawn

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
Bringing this thread back to life.

What is a good first aid kit to keep stocked in a day hike bag?

How about a good first aid kit to take to the range?

The reason behind my thoughts is I have recently got more into hiking and am looking for some solid recommendations into a basic first aid kit to keep in the bag. Would I be better off with a prepackaged style or putting a more elaborate kit together. Obviously weight and space is of concern.

That leads to my second thought. Going to the range. It only seems that carrying a good first aid kit would be smart. There are a lot of potential hazards at any gun range. Also if you go to marion road or creekside it may be a little while before paramedics could get to you. What would be a good kit to have on hand while visiting a range?

@AtlMedic get in here so I can pick your brain.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code

The reason behind my thoughts is I have recently got more into hiking and am looking for some solid recommendations into a basic first aid kit to keep in the bag. Would I be better off with a prepackaged style or putting a more elaborate kit together. Obviously weight and space is of concern.

That leads to my second thought. Going to the range. It only seems that carrying a good first aid kit would be smart. There are a lot of potential hazards at any gun range. Also if you go to marion road or creekside it may be a little while before paramedics could get to you. What would be a good kit to have on hand while visiting a range?

What's up?

World Class Dick Wrangler
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Sep 5, 2015
Da SAV
Zip code
You guys have IO kits at truprep?

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Their kits look pretty good- I've put together mine from parts mostly... GI surplus pouches of various sizes and bandages, butterfly closures, non-stick pads, antiseptics of various types, rolled gauze/rolled self adhesive ace bandage-like material... Generally, the stuff I feel proficient using. I'd love to say I could use sutures and naso-pharyngeal (or how ever the hell you spell it) airways, but I have no idea.

If I can't tape it closed, patch it to keep it clean, and/or stop bleeding via pressure point, then I'm afraid the person I'm with picked the wrong hiking buddy. That, or I'm the one that's screwed.

I've kind of come to the conclusion that I can do basic first aid. However, if someone else (or me, for that matter) has a sucking chest wound, GSW to the chest/abdomen, or has a really severe cut/gash/going to lose an arm... sorry, I'm not going to be able to save you and I'm not carrying 5 pounds of stuff that would prolong your suffering.

Let me get to a computer and I'll answer this a little better

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
We even do a SET discount. Who has more medical supplies then TruPrep?
I know yall got supplies and am aware of the SET discount. But I would like to have a good idea of what to look for before I just come by one of everything (even though I know you would like that). I have read some of the basic stuff to have via the Internet, but would like a little more solid list.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code

I'm looking forward to any advice or observations you have to offer-

Lets start with this, no kits will be a perfect do-all type kit. Lets start with the hiking first aid kit. You want it to be light and compact because you are carrying it so we want to look at essentials to start and build from there. What I carry hiking is this.

Bandaids of different sizes ( I like the cloth ones)
Moleskin for blisters
ACE bandage x3
Duct tape
Multi tool with scissors and saw
foil blanket
a couple extra bottles of water
tourniquet (RATS for this)
Israeli bandage (or similar)
benadryl

OPTIONAL
neosporin
Sting relief stuff
ibuprofen
Cloth tape
Gauze pads
trauma shears

I dont carry too much because I dont like alot of weight. The most common injuries youll encounter hiking are sprains and scratches. The multi-tool is listed specifically because the saw can be used to cut sticks for making a splint instead of carrying a commercial one. I keep a couple cheap bottles of water set aside for cleaning out wounds, poke a small hole in the lid so you can squirt it out to irrigate a wound or use to clean an area. The foil blanket is to keep warm, hypothermia is a risk for any traumatic injury. Duct tape can be used to hold bandages in place, help secure a splint, and tons of other uses. Mole skin is for blisters. A t-shirt or towel can be used as a large bandage in a pinch, or you can add the gauze pads. The optional stuff I listed would be more needed for long distance backpacking but I wouldnt stress too much for day hiking. It is also a good idea to keep it all dry in zip lock bags.

As far as something to keep in a range bag, this is what I would put in one for someone with limited medical training.

tourniquet x2
Israeli bandage
Gauze pads
ACE bandage x2
Foil blanket
Chest seal x2

Obviously you can see this is all bleeding control with the assumption that medical help is on the way, even if it isnt immediate. Things like airway stuff or decompression needles is that they require more training and start to really push the limits for good samaritan protection. If someone is shot they will typically either only need very basic bleeding control or they will need surgery. It is important to get an ambulance called immediately so they can go ahead and get a helicopter ready if they deem necessary.

As far as premade kits, there are several good ones on the market but you are going to typically pay a premium for them. I would recommend a trip to truprep and a drug store to get your supplies and then buy a bag to keep them in that suits your needs.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I know yall got supplies and am aware of the SET discount. But I would like to have a good idea of what to look for before I just come by one of everything (even though I know you would like that). I have read some of the basic stuff to have via the Internet, but would like a little more solid list.

Take a look at my post and feel free to ask any questions you have. I am more than happy to help you put a kit together.

Reactions: Patryn

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA

We aren't just sales guys! :) We usually help people find exactly what they need, not just sell them one of everything. I have sent people to all over the world for products we do not carry.

Reactions: AtlMedic