Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
Funny how NPR is listing all of the benefits of running a suppressor when it comes to military applications but if the article were about the HPA they'd have a completely different viewpoint because that wouldn't fit their liberal agenda.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
Funny how NPR is listing all of the benefits of running a suppressor when it comes to military applications but if the article were about the HPA they'd have a completely different viewpoint because that wouldn't fit their liberal agenda.

Yeah, I didn't like the source, but I didn't try to find an alternate.

And I agree with you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jake

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
It's not only a good idea, it's the RIGHT idea! They need every advantage we can give them. Especially when it's technology that's been around for decades.

Reactions: dial1911

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
It's not only a good idea, it's the RIGHT idea! They need every advantage we can give them. Especially when it's technology that's been around for decades.

I agree that the suppressors would have a real place that they would be very useful.

I will also say that having stood beside a line of guys firing full auto AR's, that's a sound that makes you want to run the other direction.

Reactions: Rwjeter

Knessler

Mandalorian Operator
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 1, 2016
Macon, GA
Zip code
I agree that the suppressors would have a real place that they would be very useful.

I will also say that having stood beside a line of guys firing full auto AR's, that's a sound that makes you want to run the other direction.
Then again so does your buddy dropping to the ground bleeding from a source you did not hear.

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code

Suppressed ARs are still loud as hell and intimidating in full auto.

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
The idea is stupid... and let me tell you why. 1st, there are a few issues with the cans, point of impact shift, when shooting supressed, then when your not shooting suppressed. i.e. you need 2 zeros on your rifle if you have a POI, shift from POA... Left to right shift might be easy, on the iron sights, impossable to do w/ a ACOG, and impractical (at best) to do with a M68 CCO... Now we run into all the issues suppressed guys have, different buffer weights, Gas buster charging handles, etc, etc,... That would be a real nightmare, just to get the guns right.
And not to mention, what about the M249's, M240B's, M2HBMG, and all of the other stuff going off, in a fire fight. The drawbacks, outweigh the benefits.

Last edited:
Reactions: dial1911

ReservoirDawg10

Sniper
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code
If they would look at a design such as the OSS can, it would mitigate the need for additional modifications to the rifles as they are designed for use on gassers. Can't completely do away with POI shift, but could make it minimal as the tech really is there. Design the can to minimize this instead of designing for maximum db reduction. Surefire has quite the business plan based off of this. Their cans are some of the loudest on the market, but they have minimal POI shift and are tough as nails.

There needs to be a lot of testing, but I wouldn't throw the idea out based on old silencer technology.

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
I like the fact they are testing and finding more positive things to say than negative. I'd much rather be on a line or side by side CQB with everyone using cans. It's much more pleasant and I'm more accurate because I'm not reacting to muzzle blast beside me. OPS INC and AE have some great designs over the barrel with a collar that allow minimal shift in POI. I think our Marines need these not only for saving your wing man from blast but it's harder to locate where the shot came from and by then a follow up shot could eliminate the threat.

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
If the special forces use them then much of the issues have already been addressed. Sure it will probably require some rifle mods but then again not every single weapon will need to run them. Units for standard infantry will not necessarily remove them as most will be CQB. Snipers and squad weapons like the M249 and other light machine guns would not necessarily need to be suppressed.