Mags per pistol

Faktory 47

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
I couldn't honestly tell you how many mags I have for my pistols or rifles, except for one gun. I just buy magazines when I find a good deal, throw them in the plastic tub for storage. The only gun, the .308, I only have the factory mag. Only because I can never remember to buy one when I am shopping.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
Depends on a few things... mostly mag life and how much I use them right now.

Such as- 10/22 Butler Creek type mags (25 ish round variety)... Lots of them because they'd be included in a high capacity category and because I can't clean them and they do go to hell after they get really dirty. I bought a bunch of those during the run up to the last presidential election for those reasons.

Rifle mags... depends on the rifle. AR mags are cheap, so why not have some spares. I like to put at least two mags full through the ones I keep loaded to be sure they work. Range mags- keep five or so of those that get well used. Five or six loaded is enough right now. M1A mags are more expensive, so I don't have as many of those. And Tikka mags are expensive as hell, so I have one of those for a bolt action.

Pistol mags.... Glock mags are cheap-ish and interchangeable, so I have a bunch of those in 9mm and .45ACP because those are really the only calibers I shoot.

1911 mags... who cares because they're both cheap and not likely subject to any high capacity wording.

World Class Dick Wrangler
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Sep 5, 2015
Da SAV
Zip code
I couldn't honestly tell you how many mags I have for my pistols or rifles, except for one gun. I just buy magazines when I find a good deal, throw them in the plastic tub for storage. The only gun, the .308, I only have the factory mag. Only because I can never remember to buy one when I am shopping.
I have no clue how many G19 and AR mags I have.....but I have them all over the house. It’s an awesome conversation when you have someone over and they notice a glock mag in the fridge...

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
People forget that mags are a disposable item... They do wear out. So my thinking is that you should have about 20 handgun mags, and use 10 rounders as range mags. I have about 25-30 .308 AR mags, and need more IMHO. I have over 40 mags for my RRA LAR-8 (a gun I never shoot) I have about 150 GI issue AR mags. ( not a fan of P-Mags ) I think AK mags might be a exception to the rule, I've never seen one wear out, but I stick to mil-serp mags. So I have about 40 AK-74 mags.

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Depends on your situation. I think most have been covered here. Having range mags if you go to the range or shoot on a regular basis is a good idea. I always have at least 2 spares for my carry gun and several for any vehicle based weapon. If not at home, you need to be able to defend yourself as well.

As other poster's have said, magazine capacity plays a factor as well. Make sure you rotate out your loaded spares and especially rounds in your EDC. All spares should be checked for operation. Simply cycling empty a loaded magazine empty in the weapon is not a sufficient check.

In the end, it what you feel comfortable with and what you can afford. On last thing to remember is that if you buy an ass ton of mags a d then get bitten by the trade bug or need to sell the weapon, the spare/extra mags will basically be given away as they will not play much factor on the price.

Reactions: BangBang

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
Usually keep 4 mags loaded up with HP's for SD use that only get cycled every 6 months or so and then 5-10 mags for range use just depending on the gun, how much I shoot it and how expensive the mags are. The longer I have a gun the more mags I acquire for that gun though. Except my LCP II, I only have 2 mags for that one because it doesn't get shot much anymore and if I need more than 13 rounds out of a pocket gun I should have already worked my way back to a bigger gun.

Reactions: Mac11FA

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I have two for my summer carry gun.

BangBang

Apprentice to master AR builder Greg Vess
Aug 26, 2018
Danielsville
Zip code
I started really getting into guns during the Clinton AWB and had to pay $80 for a 15-round G19 mag back then. That shit scarred me for life and made me a mag hoarder.

I pick mags up here and there whenever I see a good deal. My latest purchase was a 10-pack of Gen3 PMAGs for $100 shipped from Brownells.

Probably the best deal I ever found was back when Black Dog Machine was selling their 25-round AR22 mags for $5 each on their site. Those mags usually go for $20+

I ordered 30 or 40 of those mags. I don’t remember the exact number. LOL

Reactions: dial1911

Allsmiles

Frontiersman
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Mar 15, 2017
Golfcart City, GA
Zip code
I keep one shotgun shell in my single shot shotgun because Joe Biden said that is all we need. :D Ya'll on the other hand have made me mount magnetic strips inside of my safe and use paint pens to keep them straight.