MADNESS!

GA Firing Line

Sarge

Woodsman
Jun 15, 2012
Florida
Yes, first and foremost, prayers to the victims and families. This makes me so sad. :(

This may not be the right time, but I'm going to say it anyway, as I'd like to make some comparison comments...as relates to the gun culture thing/2nd Amendment stuff that's been in the news of late.

Preliminary reports indicate that the bombs were made using pressure cookers as the container, and then placed in plastic garbage bags. Those bags may/may not have been also placed in garbage cans near the street at the finish line. Time will tell.

A few years back, when there were numerous explosions like this on London streets, London's response to those terrorist attacks was ban trash cans on downtown streets. Kind of the same logic behind what our government would like to to with firearms, i.e., a nut with a gun kills a bunch of people, so they go after the guns instead of the real issue. So...using that same logic, are we to now ban pressure cookers, plastic bags, and garbage cans? Nails and ball bearings?

We need to find the terrorists responsible, prosecute them, and then administer the death penalty...and not 14 years and a bunch of appeals later. Until we, and the rest of the civilized world deal harshly with terrorists, these incidents will only increase. Same thing with the crazies with guns, which in those cases, are individuals with severe mental illnesses...meaning, our governments wants to take our guns away vs. dealing with the real issue...mental illness.

I often cannot understand the logic of all of this...going with a quick fix because "we have to to something," vs. dealing with the real problem.

Again, prayers to the victims and their families. I hope they catch those responsible.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
The good news is that the authorities have identified and arrested a suspect based on video recordings from a nearby department store as well as other video recordings.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Now, CNN (the source of info I posted earlier) says that they apparently made a mistake because officials are now saying that no arrest has been made at this time.

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
Hang in there. Take the Meds, do the exercise and keep on going. I've been through loads of stuff since I retired in 1993 but looking forward to 1 May 2013 to celebrate 20 years of military retirement. Last year I retired from the 2nd Federal Career and took social security. I aim to stick around just to aggravate the Feds and continue to receive my "annuities" as they like to call them now.

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
Almost lost in the horrendous events of the last few days was the Senate vote and defeat of gun restrictions. A knife attack, pressure cooker bombs, poison mail, fertilizer plant explosion...

And the government focus on restricting 2nd Amendment rights of law abiding citizens. I am glad common sense prevailed and I hope our focus resets itself to the real issues of the day.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Folks, please remember rule 19 in the General Forum Rules.

The politically oriented posts have been removed from this thread. Let's keep this above politics.

Thanks.

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
A feed of disinformation does make sense in tracking potential suspects. News is less important than getting the job done. And the job does seem to be getting done. Kudos to City, State, and Federal authorities in their efforts.

Random thoughts:

Having pseudo news personalities stretch their opinions on complicity... represented as being legitimate news... to the point of absurdity... OK, the First Amendment trumps my displeasure with anyone taking such liberties. Doesn't mean there's any reason to accept it.

I'm generally not thinking or believing this is a political statement. This is more like drawing the line and saying enough is enough.

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
3Coyotes said:
A feed of disinformation does make sense in tracking potential suspects. News is less important than getting the job done. And the job does seem to be getting done. Kudos to City, State, and Federal authorities in their efforts.

Random thoughts:

Having pseudo news personalities stretch their opinions on complicity... represented as being legitimate news... to the point of absurdity... OK, the First Amendment trumps my displeasure with anyone taking such liberties. Doesn't mean there's any reason to accept it.

I'm generally not thinking or believing this is a political statement. This is more like drawing the line and saying enough is enough.
Agreed. Just read me the NEWS. Not edited sound bites, followed by "discussion" between a bunch of other Talking Heads, who are paid consultants.