M-Lok vs Keymod

American Revival Apparel Company

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
so M-lok seems to be dominating right now. What makes it better than keymod?

Which system has a better selection of accessories for it that connect directly, rather than using a standard rail section AND the accessory?

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
No idea. I still can't come up with a good reason to sink lots of cash into a foreend when a single, small picatinny rail will hold all I want on a rifle.

Reactions: dial1911

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
so M-lok seems to be dominating right now. What makes it better than keymod?

Which system has a better selection of accessories for it that connect directly, rather than using a standard rail section AND the accessory?
Mlok is new and has Magpul marketing behind it. That's about the sum of it. Keymod was released under Vltor with practically no marketing and no single company pushing it. Some argue that mlok has a greater shear strength, and I can see how that would be true. But I'm not hanging from a helo skid by my free float rail, so whatever. Others say mlok is cheaper to machine. I don't really see much price difference from manufacturers making both systems. So the manufacturers increased margin doesn't do a dang thing for me. Some people don't like how keymod looks. I could care less about aesthetics.

I waited a couple of years to see how keymod would be accepted. Shortly before mlok was announced, I got into keymod. I've been very happy with it and see no need to change. It works very well and just about every accessory you can imagine is made for KM. It's simple, lightweight and secure.

Piece for piece, mlok accessories are heavier and I don't care for the big backer nuts. In one case, an upper I assembled had an issue with this. The rail was a really thin profile and the barrel was a heavy profile. The backer nut was making contact with the barrel.

But I think they work equally well. The bottom line is that the industry made keymod what it is today, by accepting the concept and supporting it through adapting old tech over to KM.

MLOK is currently popular because it works just as well and few companies market as well as Magpul.
I love how they make keymod seems so cutting edge and new. Keymod has been around forever.
That's an oversimplification of a well engineered design.

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
I have both. Keymod is easier to mount and move things around, but I don't plan on moving much after its set, so it may not be much of an advantage. My BCM handstop really fits well. It almost seems machined with the tube.

My mlok rail is really slim and I have it over a bull barrel. I've had a problem with the attaching screws contacting the barrel. On a standard width tube it wouldn't be an issue. But it appears key mod wouldn't do this in a similar build. The magpul handstop is garbage, I actually broke 2/3 of it off to make it fit my needs. It works, it just doesn't fit as smoothly as I would like. I also have sling attachments on both and both are fine.

My go-to rifle has a mlok, but if I was doing it over again I would probably choose key mod even though the accessories seem to be more expensive.

Reactions: DarthVader

mmason3

Hunter
Jan 9, 2016
Winston-Salem NC
Zip code
I don't have any experience with the keymod system so I can't speak to the practicality of it. I have however used the M-LOK system and it is pretty slick. I don't have much on my rifle other than a streamlight that I mounted on the top of the rail which is picatinny and a magpul AFG specifically for the M-LOK rail I have from Midwest Industries. I don't have any negative opinions of the system so far but once I get some more time with it I'll keep yall posted.

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
I like Keymod so far. My URX4 is solid and the attachments feel like they are part of the rail once snugged down properly. Backing nuts seem to be a lesser efficient design, and I just don't want to deal with them. The hex drive attachment KAC uses is solid, crazy easy to install, and light weight as Matt noted before.

Reactions: DarthVader