Loose rear sight on a Glock?

American Revival Apparel Company

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
My Ameriglo tall rear sight has become loose. It's been a few 1000 rounds on the Glock but now it bounces all over the place and can be pushed left and right by hand.

So should I try to loctite it in place?

Has anyone dealt with Ameriglo customer service?

Has anyone has issues with Ameriglo sight fitament?

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
Just saw this... I've got the same sights on a G17. No issues with loose fit.

If it's the slide and not the sights, I would think you can peen the edge of the dovetail a little to get a better bite.
Yea I never had problems until now and I've used the sights for at least 3 years now. Loved them until now. Not sure if this is to be expected from high use or not.

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
Ameriglo said theyll measure them to see if they are still in spec. If they aren't then it looks like they will replace them or replace them at a reduced cost.

I was honest with them that I had shot 2k-3k rounds through the gun with the sights installed.

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
Do you still have a factory Glock rear sight laying around somewhere? Just for the hell of it, I'd see how it fits.
dammit i know i kept them, but not sure if they survived my last move.

Also looking to borrow a glock sight tool if anyone has one.

Waterguy

Woodsman
Trusted Trader
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
North Georgia
Zip code
Have you thought of taking it to glock? I don't know if they would chide you for having a non factory sight or not but it might be worth a try?

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
What do you think happened? The dovetail stretched or the sight got beat smaller?

Honestly, I don't know. I'd expect the sight material to be softer than the slide... just a guess. The softer material always gives first, so I'd have to think it was the sight.

Is there any chance something whacked it enough to bend the sight? I mean, if it worked without problems for a thousand rounds, I'd have to expect something happened to change it. That's just how I usually think about problems when something breaks.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
Thinking about the sight/slide a little more... The sight has almost no inertial mass- it's not heavy enough to really exert much force at all on the dovetail- even during the slide cyclic motion.

The slide weighs a lot (comparatively) and doesn't deform when it's slamming home against the barrel or frame, so I wouldn't think there's any way the slide dovetail should be damaged by the tiny mass/force due to the rear sight.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
Yes and no, respectively. But that's an idea

I'd cut a spot face (semi-circle) into one or both sides of the sight- down kind of close to the base. It's a tall rear sight, so there should be plenty of material. I'd think a small set screw would work- probably in the #4 or smaller range. Or since it's Glock, you could go metric with an M2 or so size set screw.

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
I have Ameriglo on a G22C (my first Glock). Its had probably as many rounds through it. Are you 100% sure you didn't hit it on anything?

Its hard to believe that a sight that needs to be drifted in with pretty good effort would come out so easy unless it was bumped into to something or possibly dropped. Not saying impossible, just a thought though.

Mine is pretty rock solid and would definitely need some persuasion to remove.

Did you install the sights? If so, did the rear go in pretty easy? Did you file/sand it down any to make it go in easier?

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
I have Ameriglo on a G22C (my first Glock). Its had probably as many rounds through it. Are you 100% sure you didn't hit it on anything?

Its hard to believe that a sight that needs to be drifted in with pretty good effort would come out so easy unless it was bumped into to something or possibly dropped. Not saying impossible, just a thought though.

Mine is pretty rock solid and would definitely need some persuasion to remove.

Did you install the sights? If so, did the rear go in pretty easy? Did you file/sand it down any to make it go in easier?
I installed it with a sight pusher years ago and it went in with seemingly appropriate force.

It hasn't hit anything that I'm aware of, but I'm not sure how that would make nearly the whole sight loose in the dovetail