• Total voters

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
Looking into doing a DMR so 18" is the plan on the barrel. I'm noticing plenty of options for helping with flip or rise and staying on target. What do you use muzzle break, compensator, combination device or suppressor. What's the best option.

permaneo vox

Powered by Silencer Shop
Trusted Trader
Sep 21, 2015
Heart of Georgia
Zip code
Depends on what you want the muzzle device to do best. Brakes make the worst flash hiders. Flash hiders are the worst brakes.
A suppressor is a good compromise of flash and recoil reduction, plus sound reduction.

The best AR brake I dver used, was an AK Concepts(primary weapons fsc-556). Good god it was loud, but no rise. You didn't dven have to hold the front handguard, just let it lie there on your hand. Amazing on FA.

Reactions: Red Dawn

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
If you're going with an 18" 5.56, I would run a good flash hider that utilizes a silencer mount, like the Silencerco ASR Flash Hider (or whatever works for any proposed can). An 18" rifle is heavy enough to help mitigate whatever minor recoil the 5.56 has, and I'm more worried about muzzle flash than I am shaving 1/10's of a second off of my split times.

If you're building something to only be used for competition use, then a compensator would be the way to go.

Last edited:

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
My 18" rifle uses the AAC 51T brake. With a can and the rifle gas and buffer system, it's a nice smooth pulse that is easily controllable with very minimal muzzle movement.

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
Jerry Miculek brake made by DPMS...you can shoot the rifle off of your nose if you want to.

But it is loud...

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
Jerry Miculek brake made by DPMS...you can shoot the rifle off of your nose if you want to.

But it is loud...

Yeah, you definitely don't make any friends at the range. Especially with that 5.45 AR of yours. That damn thing is loud as hell. :p

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
some good posts here...

the pws fsc 556 is a very good recoil mitigation device and will keep the rifle very level through long/fast shooting strings. very loud though...

for me, it depends on the caliber. 556 is loud and a good recoil-mitigating brake only adds to the effect. i had a silencerco asr brake that was very "soft shooting" but i had to double-up on ear pro (plugs under muffs) to stay sane. for 556, i now use flash hiders (mainly sico asr's because of my specwars) almost exclusively because the recoil reduction is not worth the extra blast noise.

if i were into competition shooting, i would use brakes like the fsc or asr brake on my "gamer guns." most of my rifles, i choose a nice flash hider for the aforementioned reasons.

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
Yeah, you definitely don't make any friends at the range. Especially with that 5.45 AR of yours. That damn thing is loud as hell. :p

I put a bump-fire stock on it for good measure...

Reactions: dial1911 and Jake

ReservoirDawg10

Sniper
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code
Brake to minimize POI shift. If that can comes loose at all in a competition, you may be fucked. Yes, you can retighten, but you have already lost a couple shots, kill time, and then burn the shit out of your hand. You may also struggle with your zero when you pull the can off and put it back one.

I'd go with the APA little bastard gen 2 if you don't already have a can you are committed to. Granted, I run a Silencerco ASR on everything just so I can can up if I feel like it. With the the Omega on my 6.5, I get about a .4 mil drop and .2 kick to the right canned vs brake. That's not fully repeatable though.

Last edited:

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
I just leave my SPECWAR on all the time- unless I'm shooting a new load or new ammo. Then I'll run a few through just the brake to make sure the load is stable and shoots basically as it should before I'll run it through the can.

That can causes about a 6 MOA shift downward. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a mini-grunt to see how the shift compares.

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
I do run the ASR mounts 1 flash & 1 brake on a couple barrels. I pinned a brake on a 14.5" and run the 556K on it. You better be in an open space without the can though. It will thump you good. Quite the conversation starter at the range.

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
I do run the ASR mounts 1 flash & 1 brake on a couple barrels. I pinned a brake on a 14.5" and run the 556K on it. You better be in an open space without the can though. It will thump you good. Quite the conversation starter at the range.

i had an asr brake on a 5.56 sbr 7.5" (for a specwar 762).

that one wasn't so much a conversation starter as a conversation ender.

that setup could clear a public range in about five minutes. gave me migraines, though...