Load data for .380 and 9mm

American Revival Apparel Company
Status
Not open for further replies.

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
Since this forum is dedicated to the 380, and 9mm pocket guns, it would be nice to see what everyone is loading for these guns.

Dave

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
Re: load data for 380 and 9mm

I have only reloaded 500 rounds of .380 and I have only shot about 100 of those, but so far zero problems. Here is the recipe I used. I used the Lyman reloading manual and my reloading mentor's big brain and vast experience to arrive at this load.

Powder: 1.9 gr. 700X
Bullet: 100 gr. Hornady round nose
Primer: Federal 100

(Note: With regard to posted reloading data - mistakes, typos, etc. happen. Always check any poster's powder charge amount with a reputable reloading manual from Speer, Hornady, Sierra, Lyman, etc. before duplicating to ensure it is within safe limits. We highly recommend that you begin with the manual's suggested starting load and work your way up after testing each step in the process.)

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Re: load data for 380 and 9mm

bigdogdaddy said:
Bullet: 100 gr. Hornady round nose
BD - precisely what bullet did you use for your load? Simply stating "round nose" does not provide enough information. This can make a HUGE difference to people wanting to use your load data.

Please let us know the Hornady part number for the bullet as well as a better description of the bullet (solid lead, jacketed, etc.).

Thanks.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
They are full metal jacket. I will check on part number when I am home. I agree with you Skip on being extra careful and I am glad you are vigilant on reloading threads. For me personally, in the future I will probably PM somebody with info then they can get as much or as little as they need. I probably know more than some and a lot less than others (Skip, Rich, Denny). There is a lot of information that we are not mentioning; diameters, overall length, how far the bullet is seated, how deep the primer is seated, etc. Overall length for example along with how deep the bullet is seated can be a big issue on some loads, probably a lot more critical than the bullet being FMJ. Reloading can't be taking lightly. If I did not have a great mentor, I would not do it. JMO.

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
Thanks for the post Big Daddy-I think it would also be interesting to see what gun you are shooting.
tks
Dave

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
I have been focusing on the LC9 with different loads and also shooting them with the Sr9c. I really like tight-group at 3.4 grs. with a Berry's copper plated 124gr FP. for the LC9. cycles very well and very accurate. It shoots quick and tames the gun down to a really pleasant shooter. I used Lymans load data. I also have used SR 4756 with good results loaded at 4.6 gr with the same bullet using Hornady load data.
I am new to reloading. My first bullets I bought were Berry's who mistakenly sent me FP 124 gr even though I ordered a completely different gr. I was lucky to catch the mistake with a scale. However I decided to use them and they shoot great. I went through the first 500 and now working my way through my order of 1000. I probable will continue to use these bullets and at 124 gr FP.

recap: LC9 Berrys 124gr FP----- tight group 3.4 (I experimented moving this powder up, but the farther I got the less I like it for the LC9.
LC9 Berrys 124 gr FP -----SR 4756 4.6
I load the COL at Berry's recommended 1.060

Note: I am a beginner reloader so do not rely on my personal data even though I try to be as careful and detailed as possible. However I never even trust my own typing.

(Note: With regard to posted reloading data - mistakes, typos, etc. happen. Always check any poster's powder charge amount with a reputable reloading manual from Speer, Hornady, Sierra, Lyman, etc. before duplicating to ensure it is within safe limits. We highly recommend that you begin with the manual's suggested starting load and work your way up after testing each step in the process.)

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code

Here are two of my favorite small pistol loads:

.380, 90gr JHP - standard velocity load
This is used in my LCP and Walther PPK/S.
  • Brass: Starline .380
  • Bullet: Hornady .355" HP/XTP 90gr JHP (#35500)
  • Powder: 4.5gr Alliant Power Pistol
  • Primer: Remington Small Pistol
  • LOA: 0.965"

9mm +P, 115gr JHP (HOT LOAD - this load emulates Cor-Bon 9mm+P 115gr JHP fairly closely)
This is used in my Glocks (19 & 26) and in my Beretta 92FS. The bullet is precisely what Cor-Bon uses as is the OAL. The velocity of my load is slightly slower than the Cor-Bon +P load, but the pressure appears to be very similar (reading primer deformation). This load should not be replicated without some serious progressive testing using your components.
  • Brass: Starline +P 9mm Luger
  • Bullet: Sierra Sports Master .355" 115gr JHP (PowerJacket 8110)
  • Powder: 6.4gr Alliant Power Pistol
  • Primer: Remington Small Pistol
  • LOA: 1.04"

Status
Not open for further replies.