GA Firing Line

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
So, I need some input about optics. I've never really used much more than an Eotech so 'm pretty dumb in this arena.

The gun in question for this little situation is an FNH SCAR 17. I plan on using it as my "one" rifle to do all. It is a very lightweight 7.62x51mm rifle that can be used for up close and to reach out up to around 800 meters pretty accurately. For my purposes, I want a scope that is of good quality, excellent durability, and has enough magnification to be used from 100-700 meters.

I am trying to find a decent, dual purpose optic for it. Something I can keep on the rifle whether I'm using it within 50 meters or 500. Right now I have a Trijicon ACOG TA11E. This seems to be a decent all around optic at a fixed 3.5x. When things are up close, though, it is very disorienting to have one eye seeing 3.5x and one seeing un-magnified. The Acog, however, has near legendary durability which is very important to me. The fact that the Acog requires no batteries is also a big plus.

The other options are a scope of some sort in the 1-4x or 1-6x range. Trijicon makes the Accupoint which is fairly well regarded. Vortex has their Razor HD line and there are always the SWFA "budget" 1-6x scopes. I do like the idea of being able to use the scope with an illuminated reticle at a true 1x for up close work then turning it up for farther out. I just wonder about the durability of these scopes. Can they take a beating like an Acog?

Which would you prefer, and why?

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
It is pretty difficult to get a scope to perform up close and also out to 800 meters in one unit. I was looking into this a while back as I was considering the same thing with my AR. I decided that due to other weapon options, I decided to go with a long range set-up scope option. I did think about getting a cheap laser unit to install on the AR for CQB situations. Leupold has the DAGR (Dual Aperture Gunsite Riflescope) which is basically a red dot sitting on top of a conventional scope. I am sure you can figure out the pros and cons for that one. They also make the HAMR ( High Accuracy Multi-range Riflescope) which is basically a lightweight version of the DAGR. Nightforce also makes a good scope for your application. Probably want to look at the NXS 1-4 X 24 power. Of course, you will spend as much on the scope as you did your SCAR for the Nightforce offering. Good Luck and hope this helps.

T_Max

Master of the Meat
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 30, 2015
NW GA
Vortex Viper 5x20x50 with a 30 mil tube will do what you are asking for. and its less than 500.0 midway and Optics plant keep them in stock,, I have 4 of them, plus I own some very expensive scopes Zeiss Leopold, Nikon, and I think the Vortex is just as good or better if you compare then