Let's Talk Levers

Faktory 47

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
Also, if you join the Single Action Shooting Society, which is the governing body for CAS, you choose a handle to shoot under. A moniker, if you will. That's where my username comes from; my SASS name is C.M. Shoot. Some guys have some pretty funny ones.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
It's their sport so it's their rules. The what's and the wherefore's don't really make a difference.

Like the man said above, you don't have to get period correct. If you want to wear boots, Wranglers, a button-down shirt and a cheap cowboy hat, that's fine. There are Clothes Nazis there to police you up.

Just like IPSC/USPSA, IDPA, and 3-Gun have rules, so does CAS. The clothing is one of them.

And I think it's idiotic . Hell, most of what I seen would never be actually worn in the old days.

I don't really give a shit, I said I wouldn't go if that is required and left it at that. Why you feel the need to press it is beyond me.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
It's their sport so it's their rules. The what's and the wherefore's don't really make a difference.

Like the man said above, you don't have to get period correct. If you want to wear boots, Wranglers, a button-down shirt and a cheap cowboy hat, that's fine. There are Clothes Nazis there to police you up.

Just like IPSC/USPSA, IDPA, and 3-Gun have rules, so does CAS. The clothing is one of them.

I damn sure won't go if there are codgy old farts with nothing netter to do than determine if I meet the minimum threshold for their idea of cowboy

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
It's a '97.......typo on my part and I failed to proof read. Been corrected, thanks.
Good looking set up you have man. I've always wanted a 97 takedown. I have a thing for takedowns. Lol

coach482

Hunter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 19, 2015
Conyers GA
Zip code
Well ok...but they aren't cowboys.

Ill just refrain from going
Are you going to let your pride and disapproval cheat you out of what would be fun and adventure? You could probably wear your burka under a cowboy hat and they would be ok with it.

coach482

Hunter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 19, 2015
Conyers GA
Zip code
One of the best parts! The amount of money you can put into the clothes.......

My boots were handmade out of mulehide by a guy in AZ. An exact repro of a US Cavalry boot, except I had him use a low "walking" heel since I wouldn't be riding in them.

My chaps were handmade from buffalo hide by an Amish leather worker my Dad know.

My gun rig is a copy of the one that Johnny Ringo used in "Tombstone", but in a different color.

Hat is a "Tom Mix" by Stetson.
I was looking at the guns and missed that great looking rig.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
Are you going to let your pride and disapproval cheat you out of what would be fun and adventure? You could probably wear your burka under a cowboy hat and they would be ok with it.

Nothing to do with pride; I have no desire to spend money on a costume just to go see if I like it. ...

Same reason why I wont do deals with people that want a BOS....or buy a gun from Wild West Traders because they want to take a picture of you to match to a 4473

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
Nothing to do with pride; I have no desire to spend money on a costume just to go see if I like it. ...

Same reason why I wont do deals with people that want a BOS....or buy a gun from Wild West Traders because they want to take a picture of you to match to a 4473

You aren't asked to "dress authentic" if you wanna show up for a few matches and shoot them to see if you like them. A "grace period", if you will. Wear whatever your heart desires; shorts, t-shirt, baseball cap, and cleats. That's just fine. They don't expect folks to sink money into a sport that they aren't sure about.

We've folks show up without all 4 of the required firearms (2 revolvers, rifle/carbine, and shotgun) and we've loaned them guns and ammo to shoot for the day. You won't find a friendlier bunch of "competitive" shooters.

One of the reasons for the paid back attitude is the lack of a prize table. If you place, you get a certificate that says where you placed. That's it. Since you're not shooting for a $3,000 Noveske or somesuch, folks tend to not be quite so uptight.

Targets are all steel. Hit or miss. 3 of your fellow competitor count hits/misses. Majority wins. If there are 3 different totals, shooter gets the benefit of the doubt.

There are stages where you have to sing, or receipt a stanza from a poem, or throw a tomahawk/knife/lasso, or spit on a target, or sit on a mechanical horse and shoot while it goes up and down.

By far, CAS is the most laid back competitive shooting I've ever done, and I've done damn near all of them. Part of the sport is the romanticism of it all, so dressing up is part and parcel of the package. CAS has been around for over 20 years and there have been many changes, but I don't see that one. Changing.

Exceptions are always made. There was a guy that came straight from work, didn't have time to change, he shot in his Dairy Queen uniform. We all laughed about it and no one bitched.

If you change your mind and wanna give it a try, let me know. I'll dust off my gear and go shoot with you. You need to borrow anything, I've probably got it.

Semper Fi!

Reactions: karlvv