fef1a0c2f203b008534ad80b4f778efb.jpg

For around $10+. Hard to beat.

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
I wear custom molded plugs, they were $50 but to me worth every penny. I'm behind guns a lot and to me they are more comfortable than the surefire or foamies.
Who did you go through or did you do the at home kit?

Reactions: Mac11FA

Kyle Turner

Formerly "Palmettomoon"
Aug 16, 2015
Macon
Zip code
Peltors 6S Behind the Head earmuffs for me. I buy the refit kits and change the pads and foam often. Seems to keep corrosion on the batt terminals down. I wear them about 4 to 6 hours per week. Don't take your hearing for granted. We weren't required to wear any in the early to late 80s in competition and between that and M109A3s now I'm suffering loss in both ears. It's gradual and it will catch up to you. Buy good protection. Been thinking of getting the molded ear pieces myself. About the same money as 6S and easier to get a good cheek weld.

Kaotiktribe

Frontiersman
Jul 5, 2015
Kennesaw
Zip code
I have the Howard Leight electronic muffs, but havent used em in a few years. They just sit in one of my range bags in case my kids wanna use em.

I just use the Surefire plugs. Got several sets in different bags and some in my cars just in case.

Reactions: Mac11FA

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I worked as a hearing aid salesman for a couple of years and I have seen the damage of noise induced hearing loss. The so-called "flinch reflex" is really how well your tensor tympani muscles work. The tensor tympani muscle tightens the ossicular chain (the three smallest bones in the body malleus, incus and stapes or hammer, anvil and stirrup) to reduce the impact of loud noises to the cochlea (the inner ear). The tensor tympani contract when you talk and chew to help reduce the noise to yourself. Typically the muscle reacts to sudden loud sounds to protect the inner ear. Some people develop hyperacusis which is when this muscle stops working properly to make people sensitive to noise.

The bottom line is that no matter what type of hearing protection you chose to use, any protection is better than none. I do need to get some electronic muffs for use when shooting in a group.

erkinator 2

Smiling Handyman
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
I worked as a hearing aid salesman for a couple of years and I have seen the damage of noise induced hearing loss. The so-called "flinch reflex" is really how well your tensor tympani muscles work. The tensor tympani muscle tightens the ossicular chain (the three smallest bones in the body malleus, incus and stapes or hammer, anvil and stirrup) to reduce the impact of loud noises to the cochlea (the inner ear). The tensor tympani contract when you talk and chew to help reduce the noise to yourself. Typically the muscle reacts to sudden loud sounds to protect the inner ear. Some people develop hyperacusis which is when this muscle stops working properly to make people sensitive to noise.

The bottom line is that no matter what type of hearing protection you chose to use, any protection is better than none. I do need to get some electronic muffs for use when shooting in a group.

MAC,

That being said. I have hereditary hearing loss. Bad in one ear. Whst the best aid to look for so when I go to audiologist I don`t get sold something I do not need.

thanks

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
MAC,

That being said. I have hereditary hearing loss. Bad in one ear. Whst the best aid to look for so when I go to audiologist I don`t get sold something I do not need.

thanks
It depends on where you go. You have the right idea about going to an Audiologist rather than a dealer such as Beltone. My dad's partner is still in business and I am not sure if they still keep an office in Cartersville. I may be able to get you a discount, I will just have to talk to James. If not, you would have to go to Rome. I have been out of the business since 1993 so I am not sure of the best deal. I can find that out as well and can send in a PM or post here as well.

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Currently have the Howard Leight impacts, like the slim design for a good cheek weld but I still tend to double up with foam plugs indoors. Previous to the HL Impacts, I had a set of Champion electronic (think they were $30-40 at Walmart), they worked well as far as noise cancellation and amplifying conversations with independent volume controls, but they are much bigger than the HLs and suck down 6 AAA batteries in a day or 2, so those just sit as spares.

erkinator 2

Smiling Handyman
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
It depends on where you go. You have the right idea about going to an Audiologist rather than a dealer such as Beltone. My dad's partner is still in business and I am not sure if they still keep an office in Cartersville. I may be able to get you a discount, I will just have to talk to James. If not, you would have to go to Rome. I have been out of the business since 1993 so I am not sure of the best deal. I can find that out as well and can send in a PM or post here as well.

Any advice from your Dads partner would be great. I see a shop on main st Cartersville/ Is that his place? Appreciate it

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Any advice from your Dads partner would be great. I see a shop on main st Cartersville/ Is that his place? Appreciate it
There used to be a house on main street but not sure. Their practice was bought out by the Harbin Clinic. My dad's partner retired earlier this year. The best manufacturer out there right now is Phonak. My dad just bought a pair earlier this year and loves them. He doesn't really know anyone in the business any more so not sure who to recommend. I would stick with a private practice Audiologist who is a licensed dispenser. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
I tried one of the DIY kits to mold the plugs to your ears. I think I followed the instructions pretty closely but they didn't work well for me.

Always wanted the custom fit that they do at the gun shows just haven't taken the time or spent the money yet.

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
I tried one of the DIY kits to mold the plugs to your ears. I think I followed the instructions pretty closely but they didn't work well for me.

Always wanted the custom fit that they do at the gun shows just haven't taken the time or spent the money yet.
I am thinking I will get to the next gun show so I can get these done. From what I have seen it is the best route and you can get them with the electronics.