Let's See Shots of Your "Shooters"

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

TerryMiller

Scout
May 21, 2016
Sometimes Here, Sometimes There
Zip code
Photo shooters that is.

I refer to myself as a "serious, amateur photographer." Meaning that I make absolutely nothing from my photos, but I'm willing to spend the money to buy good camera equipment.

Back in the film days, my first SLR was an Asahi Pentax Spotmatic. Later on, my mother gave me her camera, which was a Minolta XG-1, and then I bought a Canon T-50 from my older sister. For each of those, I had more than one lens, but I only had one zoom lens, which was for the Pentax Spotmatic.

I got into digital photography with point and shoots, starting with a Kodak DC260, then a Kodak DC4800, and then those were followed with a Nikon Coolpix 5700. The Coolpix 5700 at least gave me the ability to avoid the parallax errors of having a separate viewfinder from the main lens. The 5700 did have a viewfinder that was through the lens, but didn't have any option of interchanging lenses. (It is the only one of the point and shoots that I still have and is the one I used to take the photo below of my equipment.

Then, about 2007, I broke down and bought a Nikon D300 with a Nikkor 18-200mm zoom lens. Some years later, the wife bought me a Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 lens. To my surprise, I found out that the 70-200 lens was an FX (full frame) lens. That led me to purchase the Nikon D700 camera, which is a full frame camera. Within the last year or two, the wife has consented to allow me to "round out" my lenses with the 24-70mm f/2.8, 28-300mm f/3.6-5.6, and the 14-24mm f/2.8. So, because of a generous wife, I have managed to get the Nikkor Trinity of lenses that are the f/2.8 ones.

The image below shows the D300 and D700 in front, and (left to right) the SB-600 flash, the Nikkor 14-24, the Nikkor 24-70, and the Nikkor 70-200mm lenses. The Nikkor 18-200mm (also f/3.5-5.6) is mounted on the D300, and the Nikkor 28-300mm lens is on the D700.

Now, if you please, I'd like to see and hear of what all of you might be using with regards to camera, lenses, etc.

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
My wife does all the photography stuff around the house. She also runs her photography business and to my surprise is exceptionally good at it. I bought her a camera about 4 years because she wanted to take our sons pictures. Well that is what started it all. As far as what she uses I have no idea. But I do have a small fortune invested into it.

For me I just use my galaxy s6. It takes some really nice pictures for me.

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
My wife does all the photography stuff around the house. She also runs her photography business and to my surprise is exceptionally good at it. I bought her a camera about 4 years because she wanted to take our sons pictures. Well that is what started it all. As far as what she uses I have no idea. But I do have a small fortune invested into it.

For me I just use my galaxy s6. It takes some really nice pictures for me.

I need to get with you and see if your wife might have some ideas for pictures of my knife, for the web sight. Long story...

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
I need to get with you and see if your wife might have some ideas for pictures of my knife, for the web sight. Long story...
Yeah she would be willing. She works with a couple larger companies doing their photos. I am sure between the 3 of us we could come up with something awesome.

Reactions: EugenFJR
Jul 14, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
I'm just starting to get into it more seriously. I don't have a full frame camera yet like the big boys but I picked up a Nikon d7100 on the cheap and I'm using some old FX lenses my parents had laying around from the 35mm film days. Right now I just have a couple prime lenses and a zoom. 1 Nikkor 50mm f 1.8, Nikkor 70-210 f4-5.6, and 1 28mm f2.8. I'll get some pictures up at some point.

TerryMiller

Scout
May 21, 2016
Sometimes Here, Sometimes There
Zip code
Well, to be honest with you, George, I picked up my D700 off of E-Bay for about $1500. But, I've loved it, especially when paired with the f/2.8 lenses. In Oklahoma City, they have the 45th Infantry Museum with displays of LOTS of firearms from way back and up through the Gulf wars. They don't allow flash photography inside the museum, so the D700 with the f/2.8 lenses helped a lot. I'll see if I have some pictures I can show that were taken with the two different cameras.

Jul 14, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
Well, to be honest with you, George, I picked up my D700 off of E-Bay for about $1500. But, I've loved it, especially when paired with the f/2.8 lenses. In Oklahoma City, they have the 45th Infantry Museum with displays of LOTS of firearms from way back and up through the Gulf wars. They don't allow flash photography inside the museum, so the D700 with the f/2.8 lenses helped a lot. I'll see if I have some pictures I can show that were taken with the two different cameras.
I'm sure I will start spending $$ eventually but I'm going to learn what I can on this one. I wasn't sure if it would be something I really wanted to get into so with the "free" lenses in only in about $450 and am able to produce some pretty nice shots for what I have in it. I know I'm missing out a lot on low light and wide angle shots but for everything else the camera far out shoots my ability just as most of my guns do. Haha

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
If I only had a way to take a picture of my phone. :(