GA Firing Line

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
Putting together an AR and it will be irons only. That being said my concern is rear sight all the way over to one side or the other getting a zero. I don't want that and to have a good fit for barrel to receiver I see that lapping helps align the barrel up with the receiver by knocking off any imperfections on the receiver. I'm gonna cerekote so no corrosion will be there as well. Should I be concerned about that or just roll with it. Does anyone else use the concept with their builds they have done. Thanks for the input.

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
Putting together an AR and it will be irons only. That being said my concern is rear sight all the way over to one side or the other getting a zero. I don't want that and to have a good fit for barrel to receiver I see that lapping helps align the barrel up with the receiver by knocking off any imperfections on the receiver. I'm gonna cerekote so no corrosion will be there as well. Should I be concerned about that or just roll with it. Does anyone else use the concept with their builds they have done. Thanks for the input.

Are you going to be using a A4 style upper (suit case handle) Or A2 That is fixed? If it's a A4 upper and you put a handle on it, and for some reason, it go's all the way to one side for a zero, you might have to get a 2nd sight, and try another. I had a Rear sight, that I had to crank all the way to the other side, just to get on paper, needless to say, I have to replace that rear sight since it just won't work on that gun.

Reactions: Red Dawn

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
Are you going to be using a A4 style upper (suit case handle) Or A2 That is fixed? If it's a A4 upper and you put a handle on it, and for some reason, it go's all the way to one side for a zero, you might have to get a 2nd sight, and try another. I had a Rear sight, that I had to crank all the way to the other side, just to get on paper, needless to say, I have to replace that rear sight since it just won't work on that gun.

Yeah @EugeneFJR I will be using the detach handle for this setup and trying to eliminate as much from the equation as possible while in prelim build rather than get to the range and crap I can't zero it. I hear what you're saying though I could have an issue with the rear sight aperture on the handle but I'm hoping not I just didn't want to compound any errors in the build

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
Yeah @EugeneFJR I will be using the detach handle for this setup and trying to eliminate as much from the equation as possible while in prelim build rather than get to the range and crap I can't zero it. I hear what you're saying though I could have an issue with the rear sight aperture on the handle but I'm hoping not I just didn't want to compound any errors in the build

You prob. won't run into that problem, I have not see any issues when zeroing rifles with that kind of sight. ( unless it was shooter related )

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
You prob. won't run into that problem, I have not see any issues when zeroing rifles with that kind of sight. ( unless it was shooter related )

Good to know then. That makes me feel better about the application I'm using. Oh it's the detach handle and F marked FSB that I'm using. Now I just need to have someone pin the thing on the barrel

chance

Tracker
Jul 15, 2015
Ga
Zip code
Ive only ever used it when building up a new gun, so i dont have a before/after experience. It is nice for getting barrel nits to index without excessive torque though.

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
Ive only ever used it when building up a new gun, so i dont have a before/after experience. It is nice for getting barrel nits to index without excessive torque though.
Do you have a preference in barrel nuts: aluminum or steel ?
Just have ?'s lol

chance

Tracker
Jul 15, 2015
Ga
Zip code
Do you have a preference in barrel nuts: aluminum or steel ?
Just have ?'s lol
Depends on the manufacturer and how the rail attaches. I dont mind aluminum in my geissele rail, cause the rail just clamps around it. I dont like aluminum barrel nuts when the rail uses little screws to attach to it. They always seem to work loose or strip out

chance

Tracker
Jul 15, 2015
Ga
Zip code
It probably doesnt make much of a difference to people who are reasonably careful with their stuff. I have to have my stuff "me proof" lol

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
It probably doesnt make much of a difference to people who are reasonably careful with their stuff. I have to have my stuff "me proof" lol
I understand completely. I can be tough on tools as well.

Allsmiles

Frontiersman
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Mar 15, 2017
Golfcart City, GA
Zip code
I like the "me proof" thought also. My old A2 has been used hard and has the marks to prove it. Of course, it is a 7.62x39 from Clinton era and was hunted with for almost 20 years in GA woods.

Dirty J

Hunter
Jul 28, 2017
Cumming
Zip code
GA
I just recently wondered about this very phenomenon... it is very common for iron sights... at least on my builds.. to be far left.

I thought it might just have been how I mount the rifle... but the receiver face not being 100% square also seems logical.

Not a huge deal for a fighting rifle... but I could see this being quite important on a long distance gun.

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
I just recently wondered about this very phenomenon... it is very common for iron sights... at least on my builds.. to be far left.

I thought it might just have been how I mount the rifle... but the receiver face not being 100% square also seems logical.

Not a huge deal for a fighting rifle... but I could see this being quite important on a long distance gun.
I plan to try using as far accurately as I can see to shoot using irons and want to eliminate everything that I can blame it on except the shooter lol.

ReservoirDawg10

Sniper
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code
I can't imaging that trying up the face will have that much effect. If the barrel looks to be centered in the rail, or better yet, measure it, then it more than likely has to do with the rear sight. That is still a very short distance between the front and rear sight. If it is off that much, you should be able to notice causally with the placement of the barrel in the handguard. Just my thoughts though.