Lafever 12 gauge shotgun double barrels

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
LefeverGradeGSS12Gaucombined.jpg

Many moons ago from 1885 to 1916 there was a company in Syracuse, New York owned by Dan Lefever or Uncle Dan, as he was called. Old Dan designed and manufactured shotguns. Some were graded high dollars, some or less. He produced 60,000 and was right up there with the big boys. He eventually got bought out by Ithaca.

Yesterday, I ran into a 12 Gauge Shotgun, in a local gun shop. It was a Lefever Grade G, side by side or as commonly known a Double Barrel. The barrels are 27 inches long, which means it was a duck hunter version. Lefever’s are hard to find and the top of the line stuff is work 6 digits or more.

LefeverShotgunCombined.jpg

The barrels are made out of Damascus steel, with some great engraving and scroll work. Damascus steel was made by taking two or more rod rods or wire of iron and steel and welding them together. They then got rolled to form a ribbon and twisted about a mandrel with the edges of the ribbons welded together.

The mandrel was removed and the welded tube was finished in and outside to form a finished barrel. Engraving and scroll work was then done. Legend says no two guns looked alike. As some sword enthusiasts know this method of making steel has been around since the 16th Century.

Ammunition back in those days was usually filled with black powder and nowhere near as powerful as today’s smokeless rounds. Shotgun shell casings were made from heavy cardboard and plugged with a piece of cork. I have a couple and they don’t age well. So, the Lefever isn’t going to get a range trip. I don’t shoot antiques and at a mere 109 years old, since she was made in 1904, I’ll pass.

The gun has some great looking patina about her. Double triggers, a raised game ridge, extractors, a dark walnut stock, with a pistol grip (Assault weapon?). Safety and triggers are fully functional and she locks up real tight. The inside of the barrel s shines, but it does show some work to repair a problem.

Behind the pistol grip cap are three notches carved in the butt. Ducks? Rabbits? Over a 109 years, who knows?
The guy at the store showed me the Blue Book listing based on their ratings, its marked $800. The LGS wanted $500. I offered $375. Including taxes. It was a slow day, it went.

So be it a Wall Hanger or a Safe Queen she’s got a home.

R

rayzer007

Your historical lessons are fascinating, interesting, and always appreciated Bill. I can tell your love of old weapons is a true passion! Thanks for your host of most welcome pictures and explanations!

Ray

M

mukwah

She's a beauty Bill! For that price I would given her a good home also!