KT P3AT recoil springs

GA Firing Line
A

AquaHull

I just acquired a used P3AT, it was a mess, but I traded my hated Taurus PT-22 for it.
Anyway I noticed one end of the recoil spring assembly is larger than the other. The big end was at the muzzle when I took it apart.
Is that the correct way, the KT manual doesn't say.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
That's the way the Ruger LCP recoil spring set works. The design of the P3AT and the LCP are extremely similar, so I'd bet that the recoil spring set is in that pistol in the proper orientation.

bluewater1

Hunter
Jun 7, 2012
Alachua, Florida
I have a P3AT that I got about five years ago. Unless they have changed the springs, and I doubt that they have, there is no difference in the end of their springs. Someone may have played mix-and-match and installed LCP springs.

A

AquaHull

So they might be 9# Ruger factory ones, while KT has 11# factory springs,according to the Wolff site. This might be interesting shooting it this morning. Thanks for the insight.

After the trade the full disclaimers came out. Mine, that I got the PT-22 for just the transfer fee. His, that a guy traded it in at the gunshop he works at , and that he had $160 into the KT with the spare MecGar mag.

A

AquaHull

When I was looking into a CW9, which the price is now $300 just for the gun, I noticed that Kahrs also had recoil springs similar to Ruger's with the flared end. Or am I imagining that?

A

AquaHull

Nevermind, Wolff makes the springs for Kahr.

ETA somehow the springs by magic turned into the same diameter all the way down. It must have been the bad light in the barn, and maybe the barley pop.

Only 1 FTEject this morning out of 2 mags, and that was when I was changing my grip because my index finger was in pain.

All 12 shots in a 6" circle at 21 feet, no bad for a first time shooting the belly gun. In fact I shoot the KT better than Elsie