Kimber Solo - what's up?

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store
R

rayzer007

Anybody know what's going on with the Kimber Solo? They were going for over a grand a while back. Now it seems like hardly anyone is even bidding on them @ GunBroker. Still none available on the normal guns-for-sale sites. I know they had lots of issues early on, but I thought they would have corrected them by now, and that they would be readily available everywhere. (I'll stick with my CW9 for $400 less whatever the case with them may be!).

Ray

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
Jams are still an issue. Apparently they have worked on magazine and feed ramp but the most common problem that I am hearing is jaming on 2nd or 3rd round. My wife's "step" grand father was on the waiting list and finally got the call to pick it up. He passed.

R

rayzer007

bigdogdaddy said:
the most common problem that I am hearing is jaming on 2nd or 3rd round.

Oh my, would that ever be a problem! :eek: :mad:
That certainly cools my desire for one!

Ray

Sontag_Shooter

Woodsman
Jun 10, 2012
Sontag/Blue Ridge VA
bigdogdaddy said:
Jams are still an issue. Apparently they have worked on magazine and feed ramp but the most common problem that I am hearing is jaming on 2nd or 3rd round.

Just out of curiosity, from whom are you hearing this? Personal friends, other range members, or just on internet forums?

I ask because my Solo has been flawless after hundreds of rounds, including ammo that is not on Kimber's "recommended list." Several other members of our range have Solos, and I do not personally know anyone that has had a single malfunction. I will add, all 4 Solos referenced are relatively recently produced. (We all bought ours within the last 6 months)

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
It has as you suggest been posted on forums, but it was also mentioned in at least one gun magazine that I read. Sorry, I can't remember which one. If I remember correctly, they ended up making a change to the Solo magazine in order to fix the issue. Sorry I don't have better details.

If you poke around a little I am sure you can find better details. Glad you are liking yours.

Sontag_Shooter

Woodsman
Jun 10, 2012
Sontag/Blue Ridge VA
bigdogdaddy said:
It has as you suggest been posted on forums, but it was also mentioned in at least one gun magazine that I read. Sorry, I can't remember which one. If I remember correctly, they ended up making a change to the Solo magazine in order to fix the issue. Sorry I don't have better details.

Thank you for the information, bigdogdaddy. I think you are exactly right.

Here's what I posted back in June:

I honestly feel that Kimber changed something with the Solo soon after their release. I say this for 2 reasons; after the first few hundred hit the shelves there were none to be found, and reviews of newer serial-numbered guns reveal much better reliability. I don't think Kimber will ever admit it, but I'm convinced they retooled something.

I've been wondering what changes Kimber made, and I think you hit the nail on the head. I had not heard about them changing the magazines, but that certainly explains 2 things:

1. Why extra magazines were hard to find for a while. (The 8 round extended ones were selling for ridiculous prices during the shortage)

2. The Solo's improved reliability has been well documented by folks who have guns with more recent serial numbers.

I appreciate your response.

R

rayzer007

Trigger_1 said:
Here is a video on the Solo pros and cons...... :-\

What were the pros again?!? :eek: :-\
Yikes! 13:38 of reasons to like the Kahr, LC9, Beretta Nano, Walther etc. The video was finished for me 35 seconds into it when he mentioned sending it back 3 times; then he ends with "no confidence in it; going to try to get my money back!"
See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya!

Ray

P.S. Glad your Solo worked out Sontag. Maybe they've got things corrected now, but I'm glad I didn't venture into that model initially. I loved the look and feel too!

Sontag_Shooter

Woodsman
Jun 10, 2012
Sontag/Blue Ridge VA
rayzer007 said:
Trigger_1 said:
Here is a video on the Solo pros and cons...... :-\

What were the pros again?!? :eek: :-\
Yikes! 13:38 of reasons to like the Kahr, LC9, Beretta Nano, Walther etc. The video was finished for me 35 seconds into it when he mentioned sending it back 3 times; then he ends with "no confidence in it; going to try to get my money back!"
See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya!

I'm certainly not trying to sell anyone a Solo; you absolutely should carry what you trust and train with.

However, in all fairness it's important to note one fact he mentioned indirectly is that he is reviewing a very early model. (He mentions that the Solo Carry Stainless moldel is not yet available at the time he made the video, and they came out soon after the Solo Carry was introduced) The Solo is certainly not the first pistol made that had issues with early editions, then improved with later product. I think that a lot of people speak badly of the Solo because they are comparatively high priced, and near perfection is often expected when a premium price is paid. I don't disagree with that, either.

If you search, you can find countless complains about the Kahr's reliablilty. I personally know a police officer that had one, kept it 2 weeks and sold it due to malfunctions. None of this information kept me from buying a Kahr; I simply did not like how it felt in my hand.

Bottom line, don't believe everything you read/watch on the internet and realize that anything mass produced will result in some lemons.

R

rayzer007

All valid points my friend. I would like to get one down the road when the quality issues are better resolved. As the old saying goes, "The best advertisement is a satisfied customer", and you are certainly both those! ;)

Ray

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
I think SS is exactly right on a couple of things. First: Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, especially if you don't know the source. Second: Kimbers, due to their price and their advertising are certainly held to a very high standard. Frankly, I think they set them selves up for that, kinda like the Glock Perfection logo advertising. Bottom line is that Kimber and as much as I hate to say it, Glock, must be doing something right. They have sold a couple of guns along the way.