Kahr CW9

American Revival Apparel Company
A

AquaHull

I have a line on a unfired by original owner CW9 for $350 with a Galco Matrix holster and box of Gold Dot short barrel.

I've read most of the new Kahr prep thread and plan to follow the steps

The guy has been carrying it without shooting it, since the local range is closed on his day off. He already is tired of it and wants a SIG. Working 70+hours a week should get you a SIG and keep the Kahr/car, but what do I know, he may have ex's to pay.

So, anyone here have issues with Kahr products? I know issues will show up on the web for anything so I'm asking some of the esteemed membership here for their valued opinions. Thanks Tom

Pops

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Maine
Tom, Most Kahr's are absolutely fantastic. Sounds like you are on the right path by reading the prep method as listed on the Kahr Talk Forum. Any other problems that you might run into a quick question on that forum will get you straight, or send Jocko a PM. Kahr service is great from what I read and you can get in touch with Jay at Kahr. I have the PM9 and the gun has never failed to go bang. I would go for the deal, sounds like a good price. :)

R

rayzer007

As an extremely happy owner of a Kahr CW9, flawless through 200 rounds , I would heartily recommend you make this purchase!
The gun is outstanding in every respect! You won't regret buying this sleek, reliable, comfortable shooting and comfortable carrying weapon Tom!

Ray

A

AquaHull

I guess the only issue would be the non-transferrable warranty. I have been in contact with Kahr before about that. They said original owner only, but they don't ask for proof all the time.

Yogi 117

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Salem OR
Kahr is a great little shooter, I would go ahead and get it. I just ordered a CM9 & can't wait to get it. My LGS had the CW9 for $399.00, so to me, $350.00 is a good price, and you're getting a holster and box of ammo. Go for it, you'll love the Kahr if you've never shot one! Yogi 8)

R

rayzer007

I'm writing this for something to read, since the postings are few and far between lately!

Well after much thought, and an awful lot of reading, I am going to make the Kahr CW9 my EDC. I was considering buying an XDs for that purpose, but I chose the Kahr for the following reasons:

- the 3.6" barrel is more than sufficient length for sight picture and bullet velocity
- the reliability is outstanding
- praises for the Gold Dot 124 gr. +P cartridge (Mas Ayoob says it is running neck and neck with the .40 and .45 in Las Vegas & N.Y.C. PD's shootings for stopping power
- it fits my Commander shoulder holster
- I have a great Don Hume (second-blemish) belt slide holster for $30 that is very comfortable
- Remora IWB is a very acceptable fit
- the Combat Commander is becoming a little too heavy in my advancing years, and the 1911 platform (with it's safety) is different than my other weapons. It will be relegated to a house gun/safe queen.
- the 442 will be my backup; model 37 for car duty (S&W snubs)
- Elsie will be the hot weather carry

Ray

Yogi 117

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Salem OR
Good choice Ray. I have made the Kahr CM9 my 24/7 carry weapon. The LCP has become a Safe Queen. You can't go wrong with the CW9. Enjoy my friend! Yogi 8)

R

rayzer007

bigdogdaddy said:
Being completely honest, I am not crazy about the way they look but I have heard nothing but good about them.

Initially I felt the same way BDD. Then after looking at the LC9, Walther, XD, M&P, and several others with more hardware on the slide area and all black, the Kahr CW9 started to look very sleek to me. Odd thing, but I love the looks of it now. The old saying is certainly true: One man's treasure, another man's junk! One man's spinach is another man's poison! Anyhow, regardless of the gun, I think the Speer 124 gr. +P is an extremely effective round; having formerly advocated a .45, and somewhat dismissed the 9mm. I think this attitude was due to the limitations of the FMJ round in 9mm.

Ray

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
I agree. They do look sleek. That is a perfect description. My brother in law has carried Kahrs for a long time and would not carry anything else. Sleek for easy out of pocket draw and a better trigger than Rugers are his reasons. He's a believer.

Silverfox1

Hunter
Jun 10, 2012
Louisville, KY
Seems like people are either lovers or haters when it come to Kahr guns. I really want to love them, but I have a hard time getting past how hard they are to field strip and re-assemble (this is second hand info, as I've never done one myself). That's a biggie for me, as we all know how important maintenance of a firearm is. My brother has a CW-40 and has problems not only in this area, but also issues with it failing to feed, it's been back to Kahr twice in less than a year. Thankfully it's not a carry gun on which he depends upon to save a life. Just seems to me, that a properly engineered gun shouldn't be so difficult to maintain. Maybe there is such a thing as too close tolerences?

R

rayzer007

I think there may be certain issues (tightness, etc.) with the .40 & .45 Kahr because of the stronger round (maybe a heavier spring?), and also with the PM or CM 9 because of their smaller size. I haven't found any difficulties with the CW9, especially with the take-down, as it is only the slide lock lever you need to pop out, and I didn't find it difficult (if it's not a problem for me it shouldn't be for anyone with any manual dexterity - as I am severely untalented when it comes to that area. That's not to question your brother's issues in any way). Glocks also seem to produce either a well defined, strong like, or dislike (me) among the firearms community, with no middle ground. I appreciate the Kahr CW9 more and more with the passing of time. It's all good! What wonderful choices we have today! I was talking to a friend at church yesterday who was a .45 champion shot back in the late 60's early 70's. He decided to carry now and was asking me about the choices available today; there are a lot of good guns out there; it all depends on what floats your boat!

Ray

Silverfox1

Hunter
Jun 10, 2012
Louisville, KY
rayzer007 said:
I think there may be certain issues (tightness, etc.) with the .40 & .45 Kahr because of the stronger round (maybe a heavier spring?), and also with the PM or CM 9 because of their smaller size. I haven't found any difficulties with the CW9, especially with the take-down, as it is only the slide lock lever you need to pop out, and I didn't find it difficult (if it's not a problem for me it shouldn't be for anyone with any manual dexterity - as I am severely untalented when it comes to that area. That's not to question your brother's issues in any way). Glocks also seem to produce either a well defined, strong like, or dislike (me) among the firearms community, with no middle ground. I appreciate the Kahr CW9 more and more with the passing of time. It's all good! What wonderful choices we have today! I was talking to a friend at church yesterday who was a .45 champion shot back in the late 60's early 70's. He decided to carry now and was asking me about the choices available today; there are a lot of good guns out there; it all depends on what floats your boat!

Ray
You've got that right! Lot's of great choices out there. Beretta Nano, S&W M&P Shield, and I was just reading about the Sig P290rs about $600, a little too rich for my blood. Which is still another reason I'd like to be a Kahr fan.

TRIGGER_1

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
Athens, GA USA
Silverfox.....

I have a CM9 that I alternate front pocket carry with my LCP...

At the time I was new to the CM9 ...I thought that it was a bear to field strip and put back together.....After a few field strips it became more natural....If the recoil spring is not put in correctly it will want to come out of the recoil spring hole in the front of the gun....You will have to rotate the recoil spring a little to stop it from doing that... ::)

Also ....When you put the slide stop back into the slide stop hole do not damage the little spring there or you will be sending your gun in for repair....Go to the Kahr forum for more info...

My CM9 has been 100% perfect for 850 rounds no malfuntions and butter smooth trigger... :D

Silverfox1

Hunter
Jun 10, 2012
Louisville, KY
Trigger_1 said:
Silverfox.....

I have a CM9 that I alternate front pocket carry with my LCP...

At the time I was new to the CM9 ...I thought that it was a bear to field strip and put back together.....After a few field strips it became more natural....If the recoil spring is not put in correctly it will want to come out of the recoil spring hole in the front of the gun....You will have to rotate the recoil spring a little to stop it from doing that... ::)

Also ....When you put the slide stop back into the slide stop hole do not damage the little spring there or you will be sending your gun in for repair....Go to the Kahr forum for more info...My CM9 has been 100% perfect for 850 rounds no malfuntions and butter smooth trigger... :D
Trigger, thanks for your response. I think that is exactly the problem my brother was experiencing with his CW-40. I'm sure Kahr make a good product, there are too many positive reveiws for that not to be the case. I just wonder why they are engineered in such a way that make it so easy to put back together incorrectly.

TRIGGER_1

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
Athens, GA USA
Silverfox1......... :-\

Another note....If you put the slide on the frame without the recoil spring and barrel installed it will take you a while to figure out how to get it back off....Dont ask me how I know that...

I put some Tetra grease on the rails and just wanted to quickly put the slide on and run it back and forth a few times to spread the Tetra grease like I do on some of my other autos....

Well......I got it off ok and didnt hurt anything....But....I still dont know the secret how to do it...
I played with it quite a while....You know....Pull the trigger...put in a mag....push and pull the slide...try this try that....One thing is for sure...Ill never do that again....

I just think my CM9 is the Berries....Its a kewl gun....