Just showing off a little

Faktory 47

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
I bought my first AK a while back on another trader you've probably never heard of. Anyways, it's this Mak 90 sporter that looked pretty good in the pictures, but the furniture was a little beat up and had been half ass refinished at some point. At first I hated the thumbhole stock. After a while the aesthetics of it kinda grew on me, but it was terribly uncomfortable. Like holding onto a 2x4. So I finally decided to just go after it. I gripped it and traced my hand with a sharpie, then took the dremel to it until it fit my hand, then sanded and sanded and sanded until smooth. It was already fun to shoot, it's really going to be a pleasure now.

I wanted something different for the finish, so I tried a technique I saw on tv where you torch the wood, rub it down and clear it. I tested it on a small piece and it turned out like a burnt dog turd. Soooo, I stained it with an ebony stain and hit it with satin urethane. I'm super stoked about it and just felt like showing it off a bit. I've refinished a couple pieces here and there, but never done anything like this.

AK 4.jpg IMG_4544.JPG IMG_4547.JPG

Last edited:

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Very nice job! I am a DIY guy and it is good to see other people's work!

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
Wow very nice...it looks great! I'm really digging that wood....