JP Silent Capture Spring

Faktory 47

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I've stayed away from these due to the price and the horror stories. It seemed like every other week on other forums some newb was having cycling issues which were quickly remedied by removing this $125 part and replacing it with the standard $3 spring and $15 buffer.

If you don't like the sprooooong sound, then sell your AR and buy something else.

Ok, maybe that was a little extreme. JP makes good shit - no doubt. The problem is that there are other folks out there assembling AR uppers that are right at the very edge of the tolerances (gas block not perfectly aligned, bolt dragging a bit, etc.). You throw a high-end, very specific part like this on one of those builds and you'll get issues.

Embrace the sprooooong!
I don't like the sproing sound really either, but I like AR's. Seems like there's a way to have your cake and eat it too. I'm down with that.

Reactions: Righter13

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
I'm not putting a stack of quarters in my buffer tube either. I can see where some guys see a cool factor with that or find it to be economical, but to me it's just ghetto. Like calling your car a "rat rod" because you can't afford a proper paint job. I'm not a rat rod sort of guy and I'm not a two fiddy in my buffer tube kinda guy either. Not knocking those who do, it's just not for me.

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
I'm not putting a stack of quarters in my buffer tube either. I can see where some guys see a cool factor with that or find it to be economical, but to me it's just ghetto. Like calling your car a "rat rod" because you can't afford a proper paint job. I'm not a rat rod sort of guy and I'm not a two fiddy in my buffer tube kinda guy either. Not knocking those who do, it's just not for me.

The alternative is buy the specific Delrin buffer for 30 bucks to put behind the spring to shorten the stroke (which is the same size as 10 quarter by the way), buy the longer buffer which cannot be had as heavy as some of the specific carbine buffers so your gun will cycle faster and louder, or just get used to replacing your bolt catch every few trips to the range and your lower ever couple of years.

Yep, I like my almost 6 Oz buffer and 2.50 in quarters.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
The alternative is buy the specific Delrin buffer for 30 bucks to put behind the spring to shorten the stroke (which is the same size as 10 quarter by the way), buy the longer buffer which cannot be had as heavy as some of the specific carbine buffers so your gun will cycle faster and louder, or just get used to replacing your bolt catch every few trips to the range and your lower ever couple of years.

Yep, I like my almost 6 Oz buffer and 2.50 in quarters.
I would never challenge your knowledge and experience when it comes to what will or won't work in a gun. Hell, I've learned a lot from you here and on ODT. It's just that I've yet to see where anyone presented a legitimate downside to the JPs aside from cost. When it comes to cost and what's "worth it" most of us will never agree on most things. When considering the amount of money I spent to put together a 9mm SBR with quality components, the extra $50-$60 is really pretty insignificant.

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
I would never challenge your knowledge and experience when it comes to what will or won't work in a gun. Hell, I've learned a lot from you here and on ODT. It's just that I've yet to see where anyone presented a legitimate downside to the JPs aside from cost. When it comes to cost and what's "worth it" most of us will never agree on most things. When considering the amount of money I spent to put together a 9mm SBR with quality components, the extra $50-$60 is really pretty insignificant.

LOL, I forgot what this thread was about. Yeah, I honestly don't know a thing about the JP spring contraption other than I've never thought I needed one.

Reactions: Balthaz

becausefu

Woodsman
Trusted Trader
Mar 25, 2015
my house
Ok ...the JP spring is cool ...I've had one. But there are limitations to it.

Some pros, the spring isn't hitting the tube so the noise isn't there in your ear. Can buy various springs of different weights to play with the recoil impulse and how light or firm the force on the bolt carrier is. Can change the weight of the "buffer" easily.

Cons, not compatible with all bolt carriers/systems. Price. Heavier than a spring and buffer.

Now going back to the 9mm set up. If your system has the bolt hold open it is suggested that you do SOMETHING about the fact that with a 9mm set up the bolt can travel further than a normal 556 bolt. What that means is that the carrier is allowed to travel further forward with momentum before it hits the bolt catch. After time the pounding on the bolt catch can break them. What the quarters or block do is slide into the spring and limit the travel, it only allows the bolt to come back far enough to engage the bolt catch.

My 9mm set up will not allow the use of the scs because it has a solid bolt. The scs requires the carrier to be hollow as it has a rod that sticks out when the weights and spring are compressed. I can't use a scs with my Law Tactical folder either because there is an extension that goes in the carrier to extend it out to take up the length of the folding mechanism. Now my 3 gun AR uses a Taccom Ultra Lightweight buffer system and a normal carbine spring.

Balthaz

Gone In 60 Seconds
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas Ga.
Zip code
I put on of these JP buffers in my 300 BO build and when my suppressor stamp comes back will let you know how it works with that setup.
I have shot it without the Suppressor and it operates perfectly but have not tried it with a suppressor yet.

Strider12

Sniper
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
I wasn't kidding, I really had to look it up.

9mm RRA buffer. Says 5.6 Oz
Wolff extra power carbine recoil spring
Wolff extra power hammer spring (red)
2.50 in quarters in the buffer tube.
Thanks bro. You and I can be ghetto as fuck!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
Ok ...the JP spring is cool ...I've had one. But there are limitations to it.

Some pros, the spring isn't hitting the tube so the noise isn't there in your ear. Can buy various springs of different weights to play with the recoil impulse and how light or firm the force on the bolt carrier is. Can change the weight of the "buffer" easily.

Cons, not compatible with all bolt carriers/systems. Price. Heavier than a spring and buffer.

Now going back to the 9mm set up. If your system has the bolt hold open it is suggested that you do SOMETHING about the fact that with a 9mm set up the bolt can travel further than a normal 556 bolt. What that means is that the carrier is allowed to travel further forward with momentum before it hits the bolt catch. After time the pounding on the bolt catch can break them. What the quarters or block do is slide into the spring and limit the travel, it only allows the bolt to come back far enough to engage the bolt catch.

My 9mm set up will not allow the use of the scs because it has a solid bolt. The scs requires the carrier to be hollow as it has a rod that sticks out when the weights and spring are compressed. I can't use a scs with my Law Tactical folder either because there is an extension that goes in the carrier to extend it out to take up the length of the folding mechanism. Now my 3 gun AR uses a Taccom Ultra Lightweight buffer system and a normal carbine spring.

I would argue though that the weight is a benefit since it brings weight to what is often the lightest part of the rifle and helps make it feel more balance. Just my opinion.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
never heard of them. Neat idea, but at over a C-note I'll deal with the sproing.

Reactions: Strider12

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
never heard of them. Neat idea, but at over a C-note I'll deal with the sproing.
$400 for stamps, $600 suppressor, almost $500 worth of stripped receiver, $200 barrel, couple hundo in furniture, couple mo' hundo in parts I just don't see where the extra $50-$60 even matters. The way I see it it's one of the cheapest features on the gun. And well worth it IMO.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
$400 for stamps, $600 suppressor, almost $500 worth of stripped receiver, $200 barrel, couple hundo in furniture, couple mo' hundo in parts I just don't see where the extra $50-$60 even matters. The way I see it it's one of the cheapest features on the gun. And well worth it IMO.

AK plus 5k rounds...