JP silent capture spring or Geissele Super 42

American Revival Apparel Company

DoglegArms

Silencer Dealer of 2015, 2016, 2017
Jul 12, 2015
Dallas, GA
www.doglegarms.com
Zip code
Anyone use em? If so, what's your AR config? Pros/cons?

412455aea50984b060963d814bc136d9.jpg

https://www.jprifles.com/1.4.7.2_os.php

8857ec53e5a7bddb16477e5f8731a246.jpg

https://geissele.com/super-42-braided-wire-buffer-spring-and-buffer-combo.html

Last edited:

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
I've had good luck so far with the Geissele Super 42 braided three wire spring and the included H buffer. At $42 during the Black Friday madness (I bought mine at regular price for $50ish), I think this setup is superior or equal to the JP Silent Capture at under 1/2 of the price.

I only have 500 rounds on mine so far but everything seems to work out well. This was on an SBR with a 10.5" barreled 556 upper and 8" 300 upper - both suppressed and non-suppressed.

Will report back if I encounter issues but I'm thinking that the JP setup is over-engineered for its function (at a fairly steep price). Also, I have read that the JP can cause short-stroking on rifles that are not over-gassed.

I have not taken the plunge in the JP (and probably won't) so take this for what it's worth.

DoglegArms

Silencer Dealer of 2015, 2016, 2017
Jul 12, 2015
Dallas, GA
www.doglegarms.com
Zip code
I've had good luck so far with the Geissele Super 42 braided three wire spring and the included H buffer. At $42 during the Black Friday madness (I bought mine at regular price for $50ish), I think this setup is superior or equal to the JP Silent Capture at under 1/2 of the price.

I only have 500 rounds on mine so far but everything seems to work out well. This was on an SBR with a 10.5" barreled 556 upper and 8" 300 upper - both suppressed and non-suppressed.

Will report back if I encounter issues but I'm thinking that the JP setup is over-engineered for its function (at a fairly steep price). Also, I have read that the JP can cause short-stroking on rifles that are not over-gassed.

I have not taken the plunge in the JP (and probably won't) so take this for what it's worth.

Awesome thanks, didn't know about the Geissele Super 42.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
I run one in my 9mm SBR, but I built the gun wth it and have never run it with anything else, so I have no real basis for comparison. The gun is stupid quiet though.

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
I looked at running one with the ar9. But it would not work with the bcg in the gun. I am interested in the geissele though.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I've never owned one, but I've shot a few rifles with them installed. The recoil impulse seemed smoother (not that it matters) and there was a lack of twang in the ear. Aside from that, I didn't see an advantage.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
I think @DarthVader runs the Geissle
No sir. I'm using the Vltor A5 buffer system. I'd use it over either of those two options. But a lot of guys are using the JP SCS and like it. I'm not a fan of adding additional parts and making things overly complicated. But at least they offer different spring rates to allow you to tune the setup to your gun.

And I'm honestly still lost as to the purpose of the Geissele spring and buffer. The spring is not compatible with standard buffers. You are required to buy additional tungsten weights and reconfigure the buffer if you want to run H2, H3, etc. Aside from that, the buffer is more or less the same as a standard buffer, except it only works with the Geissele spring. So, supposedly the magic is in the spring itself and it's supposed to have a super long life. What's the big deal with that? Chrome silicon springs from Springco basically do the same thing for $20, come in a variety of strengths and work with all other standard diameter buffers, including rifle, carbine and A5.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: DoglegArms

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
No sir. I'm using the Vltor A5 buffer system. I'd use it over either of those two options. But a lot of guys are using the JP SCS and like it. I'm not a fan of adding additional parts and making things overly complicated. But at least they offer different spring rates to allow you to tune the setup to your gun.

And I'm honestly still lost as to the purpose of the Geissele spring and buffer. The spring is not compatible with standard buffers. You are required to buy additional tungsten weights and reconfigure the buffer if you want to run H2, H3, etc. Aside from that, the buffer is more or less the same as a standard buffer, except it only works with the Geissele spring. So, supposedly the magic is in the spring itself and it's supposed to have a super long life. What's the big deal with that? Chrome silicon springs from Springco basically do the same thing for $20, come in a variety of strengths and work with all other standard diameter buffers, including rifle, carbine and A5.

Well, never mind then...

Reactions: DarthVader

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
I looked at running one with the ar9. But it would not work with the bcg in the gun. I am interested in the geissele though.
What bcg are you running? I didn't know when I got it, but found out that the center section is removable to allow it to work with the JP spring. I don't know that they all are, but every one I've seen is.

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code

i am going to be testing the super 42 in a number of different setups but so far, it seems to work in the four configurations i have tried.

i am looking for a "one stop shop" for reliability and longevity for multiple AR setups without having to switch springs and buffers. i am not interested in tuning a rifle to the optimum recoil impulse like you would do for 3 gun, etc.

i just want something that works every time in a hunting or self-defense application.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
i am going to be testing the super 42 in a number of different setups but so far, it seems to work in the four configurations i have tried.

i am looking for a "one stop shop" for reliability and longevity for multiple AR setups without having to switch springs and buffers. i am not interested in tuning a rifle to the optimum recoil impulse like you would do for 3 gun, etc.

i just want something that works every time in a hunting or self-defense application.
Sure, I get it. All my guns are set up the same. Vltor A5 buffer tube, Colt or Springco rifle length spring (doesn't matter which one) and an A5 buffer. Some of mine have and A5H3, some have the A5H2. But they'd all run fine with either. There are some specific design advantages in the A5 buffer itself and in the use of a rifle length spring.

I just don't see any advantage in the braided spring and what is basically a modified standard buffer vs a $20 Springco and the buffer of your choice.

Reactions: Leshaire

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
What bcg are you running? I didn't know when I got it, but found out that the center section is removable to allow it to work with the JP spring. I don't know that they all are, but every one I've seen is.
If I remember correctly it is a PSA colt BCG that I had milled down for the glock mags

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
If I remember correctly it is a PSA colt BCG that I had milled down for the glock mags
If I remember correctly from when I was shopping for parts, PSA is one of the few bolts that won't work with the captured springs. Instead of having the removable weight inserted & pinned inside the back of the bolt it's the same diameter as the carrier and is attached to the end. So if you remove it, the bolt is just shorter.

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
If I remember correctly from when I was shopping for parts, PSA is one of the few bolts that won't work with the captured springs. Instead of having the removable weight inserted & pinned inside the back of the bolt it's the same diameter as the carrier and is attached to the end. So if you remove it, the bolt is just shorter.
Yep sounds like the bcg I got. I will snag a pic of it tomorrow when I clean it.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
Yep sounds like the bcg I got. I will snag a pic of it tomorrow when I clean it.
It either has a weight inserted and pinned like this.
AR9mmstainlesstungweightbuffer14.jpg

Or a seem like this.

9mm PSA bolt.png

I think the latter is a PSA bolt. If it's like the first one you just pop that pin and slide the weight out.