Iver Johnson X300 Pony 1911 .380 ACP

American Revival Apparel Company

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
IJ380RtSNR.jpg

If you looked at this puppy and thought Colt Government Model 1911, you’d be close especially if you saw Colt’s 1973 Catalogue. They were going to do a Pony.

This one is marked as an Iver Johnson Pony Cal 380, made in Jacksonville, AR sometime between 1978 and 1992. If it were an Iver Johnson Arms, Pistol, cal. .380, U.S. Border Patrol 60th Anniversary commemorative, serial USBP 0001 to USBP 5000, it would be worth some bucks, but it’s not.

After Iver Johnson moved to Arkansas they manufactured 35,000 of these as the X300 Model. According to Bill Goforth’s records this one was made in 1985, 28 years ago.

IJ380Lft.jpg

These Little Gals were originally manufactured and designed by Star, a Spanish Company, who had been making some great semi-automatics since the early 1900s. If you recognize a taste of Browning design in it, you’re correct. Star was importing them back in the 60’s as the Star/DK Model, imported as Starfires.

But the Gun Control Act of 1968 put a stop to all that, since it restricted foreign imports, and the use of foreign manufactured parts. Size also mattered.

FI has cooked a deal with Colt and they were going to manufacture these little 1911 Style 380’s under the Colt Name. But the deal fell through. FI/Garcia continued to market the weapons a few showed up bearing the FI Model D with the serial prefix "CPA" (for Colt Pony Auto"?). That’s how close the deal was. Colt use the Star Design and produces a larger Government Model .380.

In 1978 Iver Johnson buys FI and starts manufacturing the “Pony”. They stopped making them around 1991. Rumors are a foot on the internet that the “New” Iver Johnson Company is considering reintroducing the Pony. If you’ve seen or handled the new Colt Mustang Pocketlite 380 ACP a heavy metal Pony might just work. Especially considering the price tag on the Colt.

Disassembly6.jpg

This one is in great shape. Say 90%. I brought her home and disassembled it. The white line on the magazine and lower receiver are from some heavy duty grease. This one shows no pocket or holster wear and was fired very little. Back in their day they were a popular weapon for use as a BUG or an inexpensive weapon for home defense.

Well worth the $255.00 I paid for it. It’s another one of those old firearms that people either loved or hated. I’ll have to get her on the range and see how she works.

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
LC9-IJ380.jpg

I like the size and weight of it. Here's a comparison to the Ruger LC380.

IJ380RtCln.jpg

There's a slight mark or scratch or something on the barrel. I hit it with a Birchwood Casey Lead Remover & Polishing Cloth. So far so good but it's the little stuff that drives me nuts sometimes.

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
Everyone should have a few ponies in there stable.
I have 4.
1903 Colt 32 auto.
Colt 1911 mark 4 45 ACP
Colt Single Action 22 rimfire.
And a big Colt Anaconda 44 mag 8 inch barrel.

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
RICHGCOOP said:
Everyone should have a few ponies in there stable.
I have 4.
1903 Colt 32 auto.
Colt 1911 mark 4 45 ACP
Colt Single Action 22 rimfire.
And a big Colt Anaconda 44 mag 8 inch barrel.

RICHGCOOP

OriginalColtsIDd.jpg

You betcha! I've got a few other Colts sitting around. Plus a stack of replicas from the Blackpowder days. I've always been a big Colt fan.

DROID3 - Tap talk

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
Damascus7 said:
Love the looks of that Pony! Would'nt mind having one!
I'm looking forward to hauling it out to the range. It should be interesting. I like all metal 380s. That's why I'm a fan of the Walther PPK S1.

Sarge

Woodsman
Jun 15, 2012
Florida
That Pony is a nice looking gun, and looks rugged too! I like it! Yes, please give us a range report soon. :)